Google Translator

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Help me with my dining room, PLEASE!






Several years ago we inherited a dining room set from my Father-in-law. I gave the modern oak table and chairs away, but elected to keep the china cabinet. I have never liked the oak and I like it even less now that I have the oak flooring. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the oak flooring and the wood trim in my home, just not the oak furniture. The second picture here is my inspiration of a table like mine painted white, slip covers covering chairs like mine and a white china cabinet. The photo is from Country Living. I think it looks divine. Do you think I could paint my china cabinet to give me the look in the inspiration picture? I need your opinions because once wood is painted it is painted forever! There will be no undoing it. And the only person I have to ask is my sweet husband who LOVES wood! I am already looking for a chandelier that will fit the cottage decor.
Thank you for your help, I need it, as you can see!

Have a lovely weekend,

Cindy

8 comments:

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Well, you know what I'm going to say about painting it...

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Your dining room could so easily be transformed to look like your inspiration photo. EASILY!

All men love wood and they always resist it being painted (my husband included). But I have found once it's painted, my husband generally likes the results a lot. I have heard other women say this too.

Don't be scared. Go for it!

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

Cindy, eventually I will be posting "before" and "after" photos on my blog of furniture I have painted but if you want to email me at: mycottageofbliss(at)yahoo(dot) com
I would be glad to email you some photos now so you can see what a difference white paint can make.

Cynthia's Cottage Design said...

HI Cindy,

First, thank you so much for your kind words on my blog and give-away, you are sweet as pie!!

and, lol, I feel the same as Shari, a BIG YES!!! I saw Shari's guide to painting and it's fab-u-lous!! so take her advice and begin the fun :)! You can also see another one on a painted hutch at Rose Vine Cottage Two. Kelly has wonderful transformations too! But I think Shari had one of the best tutorials I've seen yet!!

Thanks so much for entering my give-away and I am so lucky to have such wonderful new friends! Hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend!

Hugs, Cynthia xo

Gollum said...

Your picture looks exactly like the inspiration pic, except for the paint color. Paint will do the trick! Have you ever been to romantichome.blogspot? Cindy paints her furniture white. You will have oodles of inspiration pics to look at--and she has detailed instructions about painting, too.

Linda's Blue Gate said...

Paint it yes...... I have one that was my grandmothers..... very normal early american....... I painted it white and I LOVE it now it is sooo cottage cute...
HUgs
Linda

Anonymous said...

lol Tim (your Bro.) would say leave the wood. I say paint it, but then again I paint everything. lol. w/e you do it will look fabulous as always. Hugs Rhonda

Anonymous said...

paint it, this was your first thought when you seen it....i love your site as the cottage fits you or it wouldnt of found you....i like your styleing...as i told sister judith..you always were crispy no wrinkle and purple...your cottage is always gonna be bright on the warm shiniest of days and warm and bright on cloudy days when you paint it ....keep enjoying putting together the cottage i like the touch of 'aunts' handed love to you and can't loose on the garage sales..as we say someones trash is someone elses treasures....take care love and hugs to you and yours....katherine(queets)

Anonymous said...

Mom-I think it would look fabulous! Your inspiration photo is breathtaking, and from what little I have seen I think it would look even lovelier in your home. But then what do I know about decorating?
Love you,
Marissa