Google Translator

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Words of Wisdom Wednesday & Outdoor Wednesday


Make us more aware, dear God,


of little daily graces


that come to us with sweet surprise


from never dreamed of places.



~ Helen Steiner RiceIn you I trust, O my God. Psalm 25:2 NIV




My husband and I took our two oldest grandkids on a mini "stay cation" on Monday. We headed North of Winnipeg toward Selkirk. We passed through Lockport, which still has a lock that they let boats through. We always see lots of storks, there. (Editing: Actually, they are not storks, they are American White Pelicans.) Click on the picture above so you can see the stork more clearly. I have a few further down that you will see also, as we passed through Lockport again heading home.


There is nothing more inspiring to me than to view God's wonderful creations. These storks came as a "sweet surprise", a simple reminder of the great creator, "a little daily grace." Graces are truly all around us if we will just look for them. My grandchildren are such a joy to me, they are lovely "daily graces." I am always careful to worship the Creator, and simply enjoy the creation. When we see the "sweet surprises" around us everyday, it gives us a picture of a very BIG and loving God, one in whom we can always trust.


The next stop in our trip was Lower Fort Garry. There we stepped back in time to the 19Th century fur trade at the oldest stone fur trading post still intact in North America. Costumed interpreters took us back to the mid-1800s as they re-enacted events of the early days of this Hudson's Bay Company post. Stone walls encircle the fort's enclosure, this is the largest group of original 19Th century fur trade buildings in Canada. Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site of Canada is also commemorated as the place where Treaty #1 was signed between the Ojibwa and Swampy Cree of Manitoba and the Crown. This was where the governor for Western Canada lived. Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of that stone house. It was huge and so beautiful.





An example of the stone architecture used along the Red River in the 1800's. This building has a colorful history, it was used as a warehouse, then a prison, then an asylum.


We are looking out over the Red River in the picture below. I was pointing out something interesting, I am sure. :)Now here we are back at the Locks at Lockport. Click on this one, it is so cute!! I am going to make a print of this one. Four storks (Pelicans) fishing! They are in front of the gates there, I think that will make an amazing picture to frame. What do you think? This beauty is flying high. Storks (Pelicans)are huge, I had no idea until I saw them there.





Here I am standing in front of the entrance to the old St. Andrew's Church Cemetery. This church is the oldest stone church in Canada still being used as a place of worship. It was built between 1845 and 1849. I did not upload a picture of the church itself, but I will next Wednesday, hopefully.


And here is the cemetery, note the stone fence.


This one below is the old St. Andrew's Rectory, complete with garden. It is now a museum.


A closer view. The architecture is very fascinating, it's easy to see why it would still be such a stable structure 160 years later.



Well, that is my Outdoor Wednesday. Be sure to go over to A Southern Daydreamer and see what others have been up to. More "stay cations", perhaps. I know ours was sure a lot of fun! It helped that we had our 7 and 8 year old grand kids with us.




Hugs to all and be sure to be on the lookout for those "daily graces" and "sweet surprises" that God is sending your way today!




Cindy









15 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Cindy... what a beautiful place, and those storks! How neat they are!

The buildings in this remind me of the scenes in the movie, "The Last of the Mohicans." The opening scenes had some similar buildings. What a lovely place and so nice to spend time with your grands doing this. God is definitely GOOD! :-)

Happy Outdoor Wed...

XO,

Sheila :-)

xinex said...

What beautiul sceneries! The countryside is so peaceful. Love seeing the storks!...Christine

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Cindy!
I love the storks and the old cemetary most of all. I would love to do some headstone rubbings in that cemetary. I bet there were some interesting ones. Please stop by and say hi. I would love to have you. Country Hugs, Sherry

Light and Voices said...

Hi!
Those stock images were so funny. Enjoyed the cyber tour.
Joyce M

Becky K. said...

I love the photos of the storks. You got some great ones.

It looks like you had a fabulous day.

It is a blessing to remember that all of these things come from a Creator who is very Good.

Have a great day!
Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Hi Cindy, great pictures and I especially like the tent! Also, wonderful words of wisdom.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

Barb

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Cindy, just saw your comment about my tablescape. I got the placemats at TJ Maxx.....I believe they came in several colors. They are really beautiful and sadly the plates cover the design.

Thanks for your sweet comments!

Barb

Mary said...

What an amazing place to visit. I especially liked the photos of the storks fishing. I really enjoyed this tour.

Janie's World said...

Wonderfully quaint place to visit. Stone houses, relaxing river, beautiful wildlife. What a great day!

Regina said...

Lovely place!
Have a great day Cindy.
Regina

Barnyard Country Gifts said...

What a nice place to visit. Thanks for the history lesson and the great pictures.
Have a nice outdoor wednesday, Annemieke

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

thanks for taking me on a sweet vacation. Thanks for visiting and don't be a stranger!

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Grandkids make any excursion more fun!!! I don't think I have ever seen a stork in person...too cool!

RobinfromCA said...

I have never seen a stork in anything other than pictures - what a wonderful experience. That picture of them fishing is just too funny - great capture!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Robin@Miscellaneous Thoughts

Amisha said...

Really nice pictures

Blog Archive