Google Translator

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Decorating in the 1800's


These are pictures from our visit to Lower Fort Garry, Manitoba. Lower fort Garry was erected in 1830 by the Hudson's Bay Company on the western bank of the Red River. It is the oldest intact stone fort in North America and treaty number one was signed there. The picture above is of the Big House. This was the residence of the Governor and his family, as well as other high ranking officials. The people were in costume, it really felt like we were back in the 1800's.
This is the kitchen in the Big House. The cook and helpers were baking bread and allowing the children to help kneed it. There is a bed in the corner where the maid actually slept. They had alot of room to work, but it's not a real sanitary place to be preparing food.



The Laundry Room, I don't have a nicely finished place to do laundry, but I certainly have better facilities than this!


The Governor's bedroom, it is a double bed, but it sure looks small to me.



The Dining Room.





The bedroom for one of the high ranking officials of the Hudson's Bay Company.


One of the ladies who worked there.


One of the high ranking officials at work. My grand kids were "hired" to deliver a letter to the Men's House for him. It was a day of fun for children at the Fort. They signed on as "employees" and worked for the HBC. It was a lot of fun for them. Notice the stove pipe going around the room to the fireplace. It was meant to add warmth to the room, I found that interesting.

The Parlor in the Big House. Everything in the house had to be brought over from England, nothing was made or purchased in Canada. The house was very nicely furnished considering that.
I hope you enjoyed a peek into the past!
I hope you have a beautiful Monday, I am certain to, it is going to be 25 deg. Celsius here today!!! I am so happy to finally have some beautiful weather. I am off to shop at my favorite thrift stores and Home Sense.
Hugs, Cindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool MOM! Look's kinda cold in that big old house...but back then it was probably pretty fancy.
Wish I could go shopping with you. 8-)
Love,Your oldest daughter

Greet said...

Cindy,

What a wonderful place! Yes it reminds me of the movies on the TV that we have seen about this history!
And indeed you can see that the furniture is very English!!
Good educational trip for your grandchildren.

I have just red the comment from your daughter here! That is so sweet from her!


Have a nice evening Cindy!

Greet

PS A half an hour ago it was starting her to rain and the wind blows and blows! Real fall is coming in!

Bev @ The 3 Clutters said...

Nice pictures...but it makes me glad to be alive now and not then!

The Barefoot Shutterbug said...

Cindy, I enjoyed visiting your blog. I especially loved the verse of the day. Stop over at my newbie blog and say hello. Jodi
http://thebarefootshutterbug.blogspot.com/

Chrissy said...

OH...shoot,I should have gone to homesense today too!! I just wanted to say thanks,you always make me feel like I know what I am doing...a kind word goes a long way and I thank you!!!Let me know if you get anything good,talk soon,Chrissy

The Stylish House said...

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for your kind comment on my site. It‘s always nice to meet a new friend. I love to visit historical places like Fort Garry, and glimpse into a different era. I agree that stove pipe running around the room is interesting. I have not seen that done before. I appreciate the hard work involved in running a large place such as this. My dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator look quiet luxurious, but they lack the charm. It looks like your grandchildren had a fun day and learned some interesting history in the process.
Cathy

Amy said...

I so enjoy taking trips into the past! Thank you.