Google Translator

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Love My City

Today I am joining Susan at A Southern Day Dreamer for Outdoor Wednesday. Thank you Susan, it is always a lot of fun putting together an outdoor post and then seeing what others are doing out of doors.
Welcome to the city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I am not a city girl, in fact I have always lived in the country or in the 'burbs. When we moved to Winnipeg we lived in the down town core for six weeks and I fell in love with the beautiful sights, but NOT the sounds. We purchased a house only a couple of miles from the downtown core of Winnipeg. Winnipeg was incorporated in 1873. There is a lot of beautiful architecture here. A great example are the Legislative Buildings. They sit on the shore of the Assiniboine River and is constructed of limestone. We are the capitol of Manitoba, as well as being the largest city in Manitoba with a population of approximately 700, 000.
This is the fountain that lays between the Legislative building and the river.


The whole front of the building at dark. Inside the architecture is breath taking, I won't bore you with the details, but it is worth seeing if you ever pass through our fair city.

Do you see the Golden Boy standing atop the dome?
Downtown Winnipeg
A revolving restaurant is at the top of the tallest building there.


The Fort Garry Hotel and our beautiful flag!

Another view, we have many trees in our city, for which I am very grateful.

St. Vitel Cathedral, above and below, it burned down some years ago and only the shell is left, but it is very picturesque, don't you think?

Thank you to my dear husband for taking these pictures.

That is my city, that I have learned to love. My heart swells every time we cross a bridge and we see the city silhouetted against the sky and I realize that I have learned to love many things about Winnipeg.

Don't forget to see what else is available over at A Southern Day Dreamer and have a beautiful Wednesday.

Hugs, Cindy

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

Winnipeg, Manitoba is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your photos. I have never been to Manitoba. Someday, I hope to.

Terry said...

What beautiful pictures. You did a great job.

You ask if Hubs camera has a strap, yes, it does....but some of the positions I get into, if I used the strap I would probably choke myself. LOL

Love Bears All Things said...

I've always love the Craftsman style homes. You're lucky to live in one. I can tell you are now a city girl at heart. The photos of your city are great. Thanks for pointing out details we would not have noticed. Was there anything in the circle at the top of the building before it burned?
Mama Bear

Amy said...

I didn't realize how large your city was. It is a very pretty city as are most of Canada's larger cities. Thank you for the tour!

Mary said...

Your photos are wonderful. I know very little about yor city and your photos help to ease my ignorance. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Bev @ The 3 Clutters said...

How pretty! Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures.

Greet said...

Cindy,

Oh my God, I love these pictures! Beautiful! I know I told you already, but you live in a gorgeous country!!!

Greet

Ebie said...

You have a beautiful city, and I love its architecture. You captured your night shots well.

Blondie's Journal said...

Gorgeous views of Winnipeg. I love the skyline. All of the photos are stunning...what a lovely place to live!

Happy OW!

xoxo
Jane

French-Kissed said...

Thanks for the tour of your beautiful city. I have recently put a few other places in Canada on my list of places to visit and now Winnipeg has made the list. It's gorgeous! What time of year do you think is best to plan a trip. I rather like cold weather as long as it is easy to get around.

~J~

Ana said...

Hi Cindy,
Tell your hubby he did an awesome job with those pictures...they're beautiful. Your city sure is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings and Hugs,
♥Ana

Kim said...

These are such wonderful pictures! It is great to get a glimpse of where others live. Thanks for sharing.