Google Translator

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Planning a New Kitchen

We have hired Visions Kitchens to do my new kitchen for me. Today I want to show you my inspiration pictures. I keep collecting these in an attempt to get a really clear picture in my mind of what I want.

I love the black counter top, so that is a must. And I will have white cupboards, another must. I have the choice of the shaker style with just the flat two inch trim on the doors, or I could have a piece of quarter round inserted inside the trim to round it out. I like that idea. What do you think?
My house is over 80 years old and has all of the original oak flooring, except in the kitchen and all of the original wood trim.


The kitchen designer suggested that we try to match the oak flooring and put that in the kitchen. That would be a great idea, except that we are on a budget and I am afraid that would add way too much to the cost. I love the look of cork flooring, but it too is pretty costly, too. But I found some cork laminate that looks exactly like cork and it has the same colors in it as the oak floor. So, I am considering that. I have thought I would like a chandelier in there, also, but I am wondering about the cleaning aspect. I don't fry food much, but I do cook a lot. We have a sit down meal every night and I cook from scratch. We don't do microwave dinners.:-P

My cupboards are going to go clear to the ceiling, like this one above, only those will have glass doors on them. I have several large white pieces of stoneware, and they will go up there.





I am considering putting a school house light in there. I love the look of them! Brooke Gianetti has them in her white kitchen and they are TDF! And I would love a white farmhouse sink, but I crossed that off my list after I saw the price of them. I will probably just go with a stainless steel under counter sink.





I want pulls and knobs like this kitchen. And two glass paned doors on my main bank of cabinets. Like the one above.


There is a door going down to the basement from the kitchen and I want to replace it with an old wooden screen door something like Brooke's. If you click on that you should see her desk with the door in the background.


I am trying to get a good picture of all of this in my head before I go over to visit Lisa at Visions Kitchens. Are you getting a picture of what I am wanting? On a budget, though, mind you.
If you have any ideas for me, I will gladly hear them!
Hugs, Cindy


12 comments:

Millie said...

Good for you, doing all the research beforehand! Your plans certainly look good. Have you decided on a backsplash yet?
We have the schoolhouse fixture in our den, and it gives a nice light and is easy to clean.

Greet said...

Hi Cindy,

Well you have done a lot of work yet to file those images!
I would certainly choose for that schoolhouse lamp! It looks great!
But I would not choose for the laminate floor! It is not authentic to me! And you live in an area with so much wood! Please choose for the parketry as the kitchenman suggested!

Greet

Bettyann said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for visiting ..we have lived in Langley for just over 1 year..even as a child I wanted to live in Langley..hope your Thanksgiving was lovely..take care..

Mary said...

Fantastic inspiration photos! I love the one with the soft green paint...wish I knew what the color is, cause I'm trying to pick a green or yellow for my kitchen. On your doors, love the idea of the glass to show off your stoneware...on the quarter round, I would probably do that, for the simple reason that it will be easier to clean than flat, which will collect dirt like you won't believe. White cabinets show everything anyway, so have plenty of sponges on hand! I have them and wouldn't trade them, but they do get dirty fast. I would stretch my budget and go with wood in your kitchen...you won't be happy with anything else.

Good luck with all your decisions and God bless!

Mary

Beverly said...

LOVE the ideas..your kitchen will be spectacular! My onlu suggestion is to pay the extra for the farmhouse sink...what a difference that will make.

Pauline said...

Cindy, you seem to know exactly what you want. A white kitchen looks so fresh and airy. It must be an exciting time for you :o)
Blessings my dear.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

It all sounds so great. I thought about a pine plank floor and then you could paint it black and white. I love all your ideals.

Lois said...

you are so amazing!! i would have no idea where to start... i do love the schoolhouse light and the idea of a painted floor (still wood, but cheader?). Love the screen door idea.

i know whatever you do will be fabulous!!!

Pen Pen said...

Gorgeous! I love white kitchens. I want to paint my cabinets white and get black countertops too. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen.

Kathleen said...

I love my wood floor in the kitchen. I was doubtful about it, but glad I did.
I just put new granite, sink and some trim in my 8 yr old kitchen.
I had to save up for the granite, but I LOVE it. I cook and bake a lot, and I find it a dream to keep clean. I didn't go real dark though. My friend has Uba Tuba which is dark and every speck of dust etc shows. Something to think about..

Joy said...

Wow, can't wait to see the finished product. I love all the pictures and I would love to get a new remodeled kitchen. How exciting!

French-Kissed said...

Hi Cindy,

I think you are doing a great job of collecting your thoughts as well as these beautiful images. It seems that you have really thought about the practical aspects--like keeping a crystal chandelier clean. Trust your own instincts--you can incorporate lots of beautiful features in a way that works best for the way you live. I can't tell you how many gorgeous over the top kitchens I see that have barely been cooked in. I just know you will end up with a fabulous kitchen and I cannot wait to see the reveal.

~Jermaine~