Google Translator

Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Comfort Foods


My very most favorite comfort food is Hamburger Gravy and Biscuits. Most people have heard of the Sausage version, but I grew up with the Hamburger version. My mom was from Tulsa, Oklahoma and my dad from Moline, Illinois, so it originated from one of those places, I would guess. It really is delicious, you can eat it for breakfast, like I did while growing up, by itself or with grits and eggs. Or you can eat it for supper, like we do now. I have a fruit salad or a vegetable salad on the side. My hubby, raised in Saskatchewan, where nobody ever heard of Hamaburger Gravy and Biscuits, dearly loves it. I have never had a recipe for this, I learned it from watching my mom make it. But I have attempted to make a recipe for you.

Hamburger Gravy

1 lb. hamburger
2 1/2 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 recipe cooked biscuits, 10 count

Brown hamburger in frying pan. Don't drain the fat. You will need about 2 1/2 tbsps. of fat in the meat mixture altogether. Add some shortening in to make at least that much fat. Mix flour into hamburger and let the flour become slightly brown. This is where you will get your flavor. Gradually add the milk to hamburger, stirring constantly. If it is too thick add a bit more milk. Stir in salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over biscuits.

Biscuits

Preheat oven to 400F
Blend or sift together
2 cups Pre-Sifted PURITY All-Purpose Flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Cut in finely with pastry cutter.
1/3 cup shortening
Add
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Stir with a fork to make a soft dough.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8 to 10 times. Roll or pat to desired thickness, (biscuits will be doubled in height when baked). Cut out with a floured cutter.

Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet, close together for soft-sided biscuits or about 1″ apart for crusty-sided biscuits.
Bake in preheated 400F oven for 18 to 20 minutes.
Yield: 18 to 20 – 1 3/4″ biscuits.

Enjoy!

Hugs, Cindy

7 comments:

Weeble's Wobble said...

Sounds interesting :) I've never had it before

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! Yes a delicious Shew recipe! I absolutely love bisquits & gravy. Thank you sharing ;)
~Krissy~

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I love bisquits and gravy of any kind, but rarely allow myself the pleasure... I just ate a banana, somehow it doesn't feel the same......

Jaclyn said...

Hmmm...sounds really good. I'm going to try that one! Thanks!!

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

I make my sausage gravy the same way but have never tried using hamburger meat. And you make your biscuits from scratch? I'll have to try that recipe. I usually just pop the frozen Mrs. B's in the oven. Before I married my uncle told me, "don't be using those whop biscuits." I asked what are those and he said, "the kind you whop on the side of the counter top!" lol

Lottie said...

Thank you for posting the recipe! That is one of my husband's favorites, too! You kitchen pictures look great! I have enjoyed visiting your blog today. Very nice blog:-)

Lottie at http://mybluecottage.blogspot.com

Beverly said...

Oh How I love hamberger gravy! My Mom would make this a good bit when I was a kid. Have you ever had bologna gravy? YUMMY!