Google Translator

Friday, February 19, 2010

Bird Pillow


I have found a new to me blog. You really must check it out, some of these women have s0me fabulous ideas!

My fabulous frugalicious idea was the pillow that you see on the chair to the right. I had made a stencil of a bird and stenciled it on to the pillow, but it was still too bare. I have seen stenciled words on pillows all over the blogs that I read, so I decided that a word was what this little pillow needed.


I stenciled the word, BIRD on it, but now I'm wondering if it needs another word there as well, SEED could go under it. or something else, what do you think? To do it, I drew a picture of a bird on a piece of light weight cardboard and then with an exacto knife, I cut out the bird on the branch. Then I slipped another piece of light cardboard into the pillowslip so that the paint would not bleed through to the underside of the cover. Next, I dipped my large tipped paint brush into my black paint and blotted it on another piece of paper and began to dab paint onto the stencil. I did the same with the word "Bird". Be sure to slip that piece of cardboard between the slip, you don't want the paint bleeding through. It was the first time I had ever done something like this and it proved to be very simple and easy.

I only payed $4.99 for this pillow and another one like it at the Real Canadian Superstore. I am loving it and I think that is a pretting frugal project!
Please go check out what else is brewing over at Finding Fabulous!
Love ya,
Cindy


10 comments:

Pauline said...

Hi Cindy, your pillow is lovely. It's a clever idea to stencil on it but you didn't say what was used in the process :o) Guess I'll just have to check out that web site ;o)

Thanks for sharing.

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

I just adore the bird pillow! You know I'm into birds. Just bought some bird pillows on sale at Target not long ago. I could never do a stencil that neat. I won't even attempt that. You have a steady hand. I personally like the pillow as is. The simplicity is what makes it so unique.
Have a great weekend!

Wendy said...

I think it's neat. Being a music lover as I am, I'd probably be inclined to add something like "song" if I was going to add another word but it's beautiful just as it is.

FrouFrouBritches said...

thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my table.

I LOVe your bird pillow as is! I think it's perfect. I always tend to try and add and add and add and then I end up wishing I would have left it alone, but that's just me.

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

That turned out so sweet!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pillow! I can't believe you made that stencil, it looks great! Very frugal, and very fabulous indeed. It's much more special knowing that you made it with your own hands too!

Kristin
xoxo

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I love it, Cindy!

Holly said...

That is so cute. I have having a little love affair with birds these days and your pillow is fantastic.

Manuela@TPOH said...

VERY cute! I love it. How about "Nest"?

BTW, Heather does ship her tassels to Canada.

Manuela

Frugal Home Design said...

Great pillow. I need to make some new spring ones for my couch. I am trying to push myself into a bolder fabric pattern. We will see how it turns out. Thank you for stopping by my blog.