Google Translator

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Outdoor Wednesday Ice Fishing in Lockport

Ice Fishing on the Red River


We went for a drive on Monday, it was a holiday here, Louis Riel Day and we drove through
Lockport. There was literally a small town set up down on the Red River just down
from the dam.


There is open water here at the dam and only a kilometre down river, if that,
cars and shacks are set up on the ice.



A close up of a fishing shack. Some were tents and some looked less
temporary, like the ones above.



I had never seen the like before. From what I can learn, they are catching Walleye and Catfish.
I know the Red has some huge catfish, when we were there last summer we saw
catfish in the fish ladder that were 20 inches long and longer.



Not far from there is this beautiful old stone church and cemetery.




That is it for Outdoor Wednesday, I hope you enjoyed the ice fishing and didn't get too
cold. It was only about -15 C. on Monday. If you go to A Southern Daydreamer and you will find a whole list of people enjoying the outdoors.

I hope your Wednesday is sunny and warm.,
Hugs,
Cindy

18 comments:

chubskulit said...

love that last shot!

Trendy Curtains

Janie's World said...

I can't believe those little houses, tents, shacks on the river's ice. So scary to me!

I love your photos of the church and cemetery, beautiful and serene.

Riet said...

The ice must be very think to be able to do this and hopefully for them it will keep freezing or...We have had snow for over two months now and never ever have had that before. Usually we have two or three days each winter and a couple of days of frost. Once in about 10 to 12 years we have a few weeks of frost. Have a nicve day

♥ Kathy said...

How cool...that's something I've never done..ice fish :) Happy Outdoor Wednesday

Ann Creek said...

I think I would like to try ice fishing. But as one of your comments go, I would check the depth of that ice. Love your pictures.
Ann
tin and sparkle

Greet said...

Wow Cindy - 15! So cold ! But the pictures of the old church and cemetry are so beautiful with the snow! I love the one with that bench! It is as a post card!!!
xx
Greet
PS I loved your cookies of the post before! Yummy yummy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy ,
Love the pictures of the church and cemetery! Very beautiful! I had seen ice fishing when living in Quebec. Pretty daring eh! Your cookies turned out lovely. Looks like that over cooks very evenly even with 3 sheets in it. That is awesome!

Sue

Diana said...

I just read your comment at Daisy Cottage on today's posting. Just wanted you to know that you are not the only pastor's wife who has those people issues! It is hard sometimes but God makes it all worth it!
Have a great day.

Patriotic Mom said...

I can't imagine ice fishing. Brrr... I like the park bench picture, it is a very serene scene. Joan

LV said...

Loved your post with such pretty pictures. I would have to pass on the real ice fishing, but it was nice sharing it with you.

Pauline said...

Dear Cindy, how kind of you to take us along ice fishing. Brrrr but it's cold. only -15? Is that all? LOL!!
Your kitchen is nice and those cookies look yummy :o)

Blessings

Pat@BPM said...

We have an antique ice fishing rod. I don't even know where J picked it up. Anyway, when I think of ice fishing I think of Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men. Love those movies.

Great photos, Cindy.

daylily777 said...

Very interesting ! Great Pics !
Blessings,
Myrna

Wendy said...

I've always liked that old church. :) I am too scared to go on that ice though, even know I KNOW it's thick enough.

Tracey said...

It actually looks even colder there than it is here!

Your bungalow is so wonderful...I need to go back and check out more photos of it...!!!

:) T

Love Where You Live said...

Wow...that's quite a site. We have people here in Colorado icefishing but not like this. Not everyone likes catfish, but I do! Especially fried. Thank you for stopping by my blog. Appreciated hearing from you. best, -susan

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

That makes me chilly just looking at it! But I love the quaint little bench all nestled in the trees. Looks like a great place to reflect!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Loved your photos, and I went back and could see you are really enjoying that new kitchen of yours. It is so pretty Cindy. Thanks for visiting my humble adobe .