Google Translator

Monday, March 29, 2010

Mmmm... Home Made Bread!

Recently I purchased a Taste of Home magazine and in it I found a recipe for Sunflower Seed & Honey Wheat Bread. I substituted 1/3 cup sugar for the 1/3 cup honey and I used multi grain flour in place of the whole wheat flour. I also put 1/2 cup Sunny Boy Cereal in the wet ingredients before I added all of the flour.
I keep my furnace set fairly warm on baking day, because bread won't rise in a cool drafty room. I sit it on top of my stove if I am using the oven and I always put a clean dish towel over it to keep it warm.

The middle loaf did not raise as well as the other two, but it rose enough.



Mm mm...can you smell it?


Here's the recipe, click on the photo and it will be large enough to read. As you can see I cut back on the salt. I put three teaspoons in it the first time I made this recipe and it made a very salty bread. So I cut it back to two teaspoons and it is just right, I think. When making a yeast bread, be sure to knead the dough for as long as the recipe suggests, because that is what gives the bread a lovely soft consistency. Also make sure that the dough is always kept warm. Being too cold slows down the effectiveness or the working of the yeast and it will take forever and a day for it to rise properly and sometimes it just never rises if it isn't warm enough. But don't make it too HOT, because that kills the yeast. Yeast bread is very finicky. But so worthwhile to make!

I also made banana bread today, I downloaded a photo for you to see, but Blogger is giving me all kinds of trouble today, so it's nowhere to be seen.

I hope you are all having a yummy Monday, I certainly am!

Cindy

9 comments:

Jessica Hills said...

That bread looks yummy!! Thanks for the nice comment!

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

Wish I had a big piping hot slice! Looks mouthwatering!

Paulina said...

Mmmmmmmm. Save me a slice, I'll be right over :o)

Hugs

Anonymous said...

MMM mmm wow! Looks awesome! Nothing like fresh baked bread! ...and homemade to top it off!! They look tasty! =)

Anonymous said...

The above comment was from me btw!!
<3 Kristin

French-Kissed said...

Your must be having so much fun baking in your beautiful new kitchen. That bread just looks amazing! ~jermaine~

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

I never met a loaf of bread I didn't like and it is actually one of my diet downfalls, but homemade bread is really out-of-this-world delicious! Yours looks so yummy! Hope you are enjoying that fabulous new kitchen. :)

Anonymous said...

Cindy,
I commented yesterday but it did not save....Your bread is amazing. I know 'cause I have tasted it before!
Enjoy!
Sue xoxo

Beverly said...

That bread looks delicious! I have to give it a try again. Last time I made the prettiest bread...unfortunalty it could have sank a ship it was so heavy...lol