Google Translator

Monday, April 5, 2010

What Do I Do With These?

When a home is lived in by someone who loves to decorate, then that home is a work in progress, agreed? If you have followed my blog for long, you have seen this little corner looking different every time I show it. For now, the birds are in residence and the chair has been uncovered. It really needs a lovely white slipcover, but I won't be making one for it any time soon.
A family is also a work in progress. Family life is a journey, sometimes we enjoy the scenery and sometimes we don't.
Nearly 20 years ago I met the sweetest, kindest, most loving man I had ever known. We married and attempted to blend our two families. We had both been married previously, and I had two children, and he had two children, that he had joint custody of. But they lived full time with their mother. The years that ensued were very, very painful. When the people you love best don't love each other, you live in great emotional pain and trauma. If you have attempted to blend a family, then you might know what I'm talking about.
As the years passed, relationships gradually improved. Then the unimaginable happened, the two children that we never thought we would ever have the pleasure of living with moved in with us. They were then 17 & 18 years old at that time. The next two years were filled with ecstatic joy and a few very deep lows. As a mother, if relationships were not going well, I blamed myself and felt like a complete failure. Thankfully, the lows were few and far between, because over all they were truly wonderful years. The result of that time is the beautiful relationship that I now have with my two sweet, darling step-daughters. I love them more than life itself.
I suppose what brought this thought about is the comment that my youngest left on my blog yesterday, as well as the phone calls that I received from both of them this weekend. The oldest one told me, something to this effect. "Not everyone is fotunate enough to be born into a family with two good parents. So I am truly thankful that you came along and filled that empty place and became the mother that I never had." I am so grateful for the love of God and the for the love of my husband and all of my children. That love has made my life so much richer.


I wrote on my blackboard, "His eye is on the Sparrow and I know He watches me." It's a great reminder that God's eye is always on His children and when fear attempts to sink us, we can look up and see that our lovely Savior knows where we are and He cares.


Now on to the title of this post. This is something that I found at the curbside, a wire plant holder. What should I do with it? All ideas are welcome.



And the next item is the one above. It's very old, it came out of our fireplace and it's meant to hold logs. But I don't need it the fireplace any longer, so do you have any idea how I could re-purpose it? Again, all ideas are welcome.

I hope your Monday is bright and sunshiny!


8 comments:

Morning T said...

Howdy Cindy~ love your new blog header! Your chalkboard is too cute, you're quite a good artist too. While I can typically draw, me and chalk don't mix! :)

If I have an inspiring thought for your two items I'll let you know, nothing is coming to me at the moment.
Happy Monday~
T

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

Your post is touching. I can relate a little although I've never had step children. Life is definitely a journey. Sounds like you've done a great job with your children. I love the art on your chalkboard. Did you do that freehanded? If so, wow! I have no idea what to do with the plant stand other than put a plant in it! lol The fireplace holder looks like it could be a good magazine rack if cleaned up and painted. But I know it's probably heavy.
Have a marvelous Monday!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful post. :)

Anonymous said...

Mom I truly enjoyed your blog today. Amanda and Marissa sound like wonderful people and I hope to get to know them some day. I too, am blessed to call you mom...you hold a precious place in my heart of hearts.

Luv,
Maranetta

Anonymous said...

Mom,

Your blog today was beautiful. I am also eternally grateful for the two years we got to spend with you and Da. Yes, they were painful at times, but I wouldn't trade them for the world. Amanda and I were just talking the other day about how those two years changed our lives, how thankful we were for you two, and the beautiful home you provided for us (not to mention the delicious home cooked meals - how I miss those!). You filled a gaping hole in both of our lives, and will do so forever. You are simply: the best.

Love you more than words can say,
Your youngest

The Stylish House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Stylish House said...

Cindy,
This is exactly why I love your blog! When I visit it’s like having a good chat with a friend over a cup of coffee. We all have our trials and tribulations in this life, but if we keep a positive attitude and have a compassionate heart sometimes things turn around and go our way. It’s about making the best pitcher of lemonade you ever tasted out of a batch of lemons!
Now on to your found goodies challenge. First let me say I haven’t looked at the other ideas people have left yet so here it goes. I’m thinking the wire stand could be used on a shelf, table or desk to display pictures or postcards. Perhaps you could use clothes pins to attach the photos to the wire. You could funk it up by hanging some interesting items such as vintage keys hanging from ribbon or twine.
The old grill could be used as a summer planter. You could use a coconut liner found at garden shops then fill it with flowers and have some of them cascade over the side. Or it could be spray painted and left by the door to hold work shoes and sneakers. It could also be used as a magazine or book rack.
Cathy

P.S sorry for the delete, typo

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I like your analogy about decorating and families!! sounds like my home.

The fireplace grate would make a wonderful planter, of course!