Google Translator

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Secret Garden


I call this my "Secret" Garden, because you have to actually come into our yard around the hedges at the front or the back to see any of it.




My husband built us a new patio this Spring. It isn't completely finished, but it's close. So I will show you a little of it. The blue garage forms one wall of the nearly enclosed patio, the house forms another wall and the screened in porch forms the third wall.






I think these are Black Eyed Susan's, but I'm not positive. They will be about four feet tall in a couple of months and will have large yellow flowers with the dark brown center. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I am still learning all of this, gardening is pretty new to me. This is the wall of the screened in back porch. The house color is kind of a light celery green.




A lovely old bird bath that my neighbor installed in our side yard.








A plum tree that doesn't bear fruit any longer and Day Lilies on the left. I also planted two Hydrangea bushes along the house there.





My Tomato plants.







My Peonies are not far from blooming and one Day Lily has already bloomed.







I love this little rock wall, it's so "cottagey"!
Do you see the hedges at the back there? That helps to keep this area very private, it's my happy place.
See the dirt that has washed out onto the sidewalk? We didn't clean that up, but we had lots of clean up to do. Because "During a 28.5-hour deluge that lasted from 7:30 am Saturday morning until Sunday at noon, roughly a third of the city received more than 92 millimetres of rain." (Winnipeg Free Press) Our area may have gotten more than that, even. We also endured a thunder storm that lasted for 13 hours. It was one wildly noisy, wet and windy weekend. The river rose 8 feet! It is over it's banks now as far as it was back in April. Last Wednesday I told you it was terribly windy, well that was the beginning of a storm system that didn't end until Sunday at noon.


Do you have a Secret Garden? One that nobody can see but you and maybe a very close neighbor? I love the great outdoors and this area is where I spend alot of my time when the weather permits. Soon I will show you more of my patio, I still need to paint the blue garage. Our house is a real light green as you can see in a couple of the photos and I am wondering if I can get away with painting my garage, that sits very close to the house, a real light yellow. I have the yellow exterior paint already and would really like to use it. Tell me what you think.

I am joining Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday! Thanks Susan for hosting this fun Blog Party!
Hugs, Cindy

16 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Beautiful yard and patio! Everything looks *neat as a pin*! Our closest neighbor is across a field so my entire yard is a *secret garden*! teehee!
Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Brittany said...

It's beautiful! I need you to come do some landscaping for me :) I don't know where to start!

Wendy said...

The only secret place I have in this house is my toilet closet. Maybe I should put some plants in there. hehe.
I love your gardens. They're beautiful and peaceful. :)

Eileen@My Evergreen Place said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment. :0) This is my first visit to your blog! You have a new follower, I enjoyed reading your different posts.

I love your garden area! It looks peaceful and private. A great place to relax and unwind. :0)

nannykim/spindlecottage said...

I love the path, the stones, the bunies, the bath--all very nice and homey and inviting!

http://spindlecottage.blogspot.com

Jaclyn said...

Love your garden! Nothing like having a cozy place to go outside to!

Under Her Wings said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my post. Your garden is lovely, and I LOVE craftsman style. In His joy, Gloria

me ann my camera said...

You have such a lovely area around your home . We spend much time gardening and decorating our yard with trees, hostas, rocks and flowers. We encourage birds to visit by keeping our bird feeders full. That sounds like you had quite a storm. so much water!.Ann

French-Kissed said...

Happy Blog Birthday! I adore your secret garden...it looks so green. The birdbath and stone wall are charming and you are so lucky to be able to grow peonies. Hope you enjoy many hours in your beautiful garden this summer.

~jermaine~

eileeninmd said...

Lovely idea to have a secret garden. Your yard is beautiful along with all of your plants and bushes.

Millie said...

Your yard is looking great! One thing about all that rain...we have emerald-green , thick lawns!

Jami said...

Oh, this is lovely. You are doing a fantastic job for being "new" to gardening as you say. I hope you will share your garden and your patio at the Tuesday Garden Party I host at AnOregonCottage.com. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your patio!

PS. I think you can paint the garage yellow, especially if you paint some part of it (trim? door?) the same green as the house. I love yellow and green together,

Embellished Bayou said...

Your secret garden is lovely! I know all those daylilies are just gorgeous when they are blooming. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I appreciate your visit!

Hood Photo Blog said...

What a gorgeous yard... and the description of the yellow flowers sounds like Black Eyed Susans to me! You should post a pic for us when they are in full bloom :)

Hood Photo Blog

Manuela@TPOH said...

So beautiful! That is a lot of rain! We had flood watches last night because it was like a monsoon!

Manuela

Anonymous said...

Hi, I so love your yard. Isn't green so very 'beautiful'! And it will be all the more beautiful when your Black Eyed Susans bloom...if that is what they are. ;-)

xoxo sue