Google Translator

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Traveling Manitoba and Southwestern Ontario

Welcome!  Once again we have been out and about...but this time not just in Manitoba, but also in a little bit of South-Western Ontario.  You will not believe the lovely places that we have seen.  Come along with me as we explore a dam that was built in 1909 and then a lovely little city built on the rocky shores of Lake of the Woods.

I am joining Outdoor Wednesday, thanks to Susan over at A Southern Daydreamer. 



Manitoba has over 100,000 lakes within it's borders, everywhere you travel you see lakes.





We saw these darling little fawns by the side of the road, in a populated area.  They are not the least bit afraid of humans.  Their mama is close by...now to the old Pinawa Dam.






The Pinawa Dam, built in 1909 on the Winnipeg River.  It is no longer in use, it was replaced by the Seven Sisters Dam, which is also built on the Winnipeg River in another area.  This area is a part of the Canadian Shield which consists of rocks, rocks and more rocks.


  

This swinging bridge is also in the Pinawa area.

Now to the gorgeous little city of Kenora, Ontario. 






Here I am pretending to drive the Boise Cascade tugboat out onto the Lake of the Woods, can you see the  bridge in the background, I've just passed under that...yes, I'm just pretending, but I would really love to drive a tug someday!  Drive, is that the right terminology?  As I mentioned earlier, Kenora is in a hilly area on the very shores of the Lake of the Woods.






This little fellow made an appearance while we were waiting for the Goodwill Geyser to show itself.  You will see it in photos below, it is out in the lake several meters from shore.  There is a trail that follows the lake shore for several kilometers, as you can see below.






It was nearly dark by the time that we left.  I couldn't bear to leave, it is such a lovely little city.






That's me standing there, I am trying to take in all of the beauty.  Below, you see the Goodwill Geyser, it was built by the Rotary Club.




The MS Kenora coming to shore after touring the lake for several hours.  
Unfortunately, we did not have our camera with us when we toured the lake with our friends on their boat.  We were out for most of the day and didn't get any pictures.  The only thing I can compare the Lake of the Woods to, is the trip across the Juan De Fuca  to Vancouver Island.  I felt like I was looking at islands in that area.  Their beauty is beyond description.  We are still on the Canadian Shield here and the islands all consist of craggy rocks and trees...just gorgeous!

I hope you enjoyed all of my photos today, I know it was a lot to take in.  
Have a beautiful week!

     

17 comments:

rustandruffles said...

Hi Cindy,
Wow...looks like fun! Great pictures!
Happy day!
xojanis

Millie said...

Hi Cindy
We were at the Pinawa dam , etc., just a few weeks ago! I love that place..and Kenora is a great place too. We used to camp near there every year at Rushing River, us and our trusty canoe.

Sherrie said...

HI!
Beautiful places to visit. Thanks for the tour. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought

Victoria said...

Your photo's are beautiful! What a fun trip that looks like:)

nannykim said...

Wow, I really enjoyed looking at these pictures. They all are so beautiful. Love the dam ones especially, but really all of them are so nice--the church one is cool.

Ps. I hope I am not allergic to my Cat!! I have had him 15 years, my oldest son is very allergic to him (but my oldest son does not live here)....with our luck our cat will live to 25!

Ruth said...

Oh, this is like old home week, only better - I grew up in southern Manitoba; for a while my older brother worked at Pinawa Dam - I always loved going there; and later after I moved to Winnipeg I and friends often drove to Kenora and around there to fish or just for the scenery. The Lake of the Woods area is awesome. And so are your photos, all of them. Thank you!

http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/ said...

Ps I have linked up to outdoor wed here:

http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Cindy,
Looks like some wonderful places to visit! Your pictures are really beautiful... I LOVE the one of the two deer!! Thanks for sharing them with us.
Hugs ~ Jo :)

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Lovely picture tour. I especially liked the swinging bridge.
Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comment.
Have a good week, Annette

Wendy said...

You definitely captured some beautiful places. Kenora is a very pretty town. Lake of the woods is my favorite place to camp.

Susan said...

Stunning! I love that area but have not seen all that you did. I remember traveling thru there when Drew was four yrs old. I would point out every lake we saw and he got bored of it! Finally he said in a bored voice, "I don't like lakes." hahaha I realized then that he was not enjoying the beauty as I was!!
Thanks for the amazing pictures!!
xoxo Sue

Beverly said...

Hey girl...long time no talk...I am back for a bit. What awesome pictures you have taken!!! What a beuatil place. Thank you so much for sharing!

Jane Fortaleza said...

beautiful places! I love Kenora too, we used to go for camping there all the time years ago when our kids are younger.

I'm glad you had a good time there, a "little" break for both of you :)

Have a great day and Lord bless.

EG Wow said...

Manitoba looks a LOT like central and Northern Ontario, Cindy. The Canadian Shield has a certain look wherever it is, don't you think?

I haven't been to Kenora in a very long time. It's still lovely!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous. Wow! You got some really cool pictures too.
Love,
Judy

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

What beautiful pictures, Cindy! They are just gorgeous! Great job! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a wonderful trip! All the water and green grass makes me realiuze how dry it has been here in the NE this summer