Google Translator

Monday, September 13, 2010

Loving Vintage

I have always had a special love for time-worn, well-loved items.  In other words vintage items.  Do you happen to know what makes an item vintage?  I have read that it needs to be at least 25 years old to be considered vintage, but I have also read that different items are considered vintage at different times. 
Today, while rearranging a few pieces of furniture and accessories, I realized that I have collected quite a few old pieces of furniture and items.  Not sure if they are vintage, but they are all most certainly over 25 years of age.

Here are a few of them.




I had this old tray outside, where it was rusting nicely, I think it looks much better now with just a touch of rust.  (Not sure if you can see it in the photo or not.)  It looks pretty well used, and I love it.  The Siamese cats and kitten, in the background, are quite possibly vintage.




An old tin with it's lid and my husband's first camera.  (He still loves taking photos.)





The armoire was in my little office, but I needed the room in there, so I switched it with the bookcase that was here.  (I will show you where I put it at a later date.)  I am loving the Canada Bread box up on the armoire!  That is one of my favorite items, my neighbor found it at a Thrift Store and sold it to me for $20.  It has wooden slats on the bottom of it.




And of course, an old flour tin for my flowers!




I love my old chest of drawers with the old clock on it, along with the leather train case and a turquoise jar that I found in Washington state while snooping around an Antique store.

Do you enjoy vintage items?  Do you enjoy surrounding yourself with them?  I know some of you do, because I have seen them.

I am joining Three or More over at The Gypsy's Corner.  Go over and take a look at some great Fall decorating and more.

Happy Tuesday to all,

Hugs,




14 comments:

Rhonda said...

hi Cindy
yes, I like vintage things very much. and new things that look vintage.
I always heard antiques had to be 100 years old but I don't want to wait that long to like something

and as always, your home and pictures are just beautiful

Wendy said...

I especially like vintage items that belonged to my grandparents or great grandparents. Those become treasures to me. :)

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

I love vintage too! Don't have a lot of it. One of my dreams is to own a little cottage someday that I can fill up with antiques and vintage items. Love your collection!

Millie said...

Hi Cindy
I guess I must love vintage as everything (almost!) in our house is over 25 years old!
By the way, you may be interested in a craft sale on Sat, Sept 18 at a church at 264 Donwood Drive. I will have a booth, as well as Joan and Lorne. They will have a couple of farmers market booths too as well as many others.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
Your home is so pretty!I see a sweet burlap runner over your white ottoman!..love it!
I adore vintage too, since most of our homes are filled with memories from are parents, grandparents or from our childhood they are now vintage..and since I'm over 25 twice plus 4 I guess I'm vintage too-LOL
Thank you for your suggestion about the white lace curtains.
I had thought about putting the curtains to the ceiling when I fist moved in, but then I was on a tight budget with all the expense that had to go out for landscaping. I wanted to use that I all ready had and then there were the Kinkade Christmas plates plates, where would I hang those....I have been thinking about wrapping the plates up for a while.
Since the window faces the front street, I need to leave the blinds on the window, but for the curtains I can use a lighter fabric. If I was to make curtains do you think they should hang to the floor or to the bottom of the window... I think maybe to the floor..I respect your opinion...
Thank you...Big hugs and have a very sweet day, Elizabeth

Greet said...

Cindy, I finally have time to write you back!! Sorry to not have done it since a few days! I am so busy with a few projects!
Oh yes I love vintage items, especially vintage furniture! But you know, a thing doesn't to be old or vintage to be beautiful, isn't it?! If you like something, then it is ok!
Cindy, I am always pleased to take a glimpse into your cozy cottage!!! I feel the warmth coming out of the pictures of your home!!!!
Big hug,
Greet

Sarah said...

I'm a fan of vintage, and it looks as if you live with some wonderful vintage treasures. Thanks for sharing.

Ana said...

Me too Cindy...I have always loved "time-worn, well-loved items." There is just something completely wonderful about items that have been around for a while. I love to imagine the stories each piece could tell if they could speak. Love, love, love all your vintage treasures...especially that tray.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Yes! Vintage is the way to go... I never look for accessories in places like hobby lobby or T.J.Maxx like so many others do. Why would anyone want the same thing that Susie down the street just put on her table??? Love this post!

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

I love your tray!!!! Forgot to say that, got carried away... all of your collection was great, loved the cats too and the bread box, that was a prize for sure.

Carolyn S. said...

Like the armoir where you put it in your living room....it is one of your coolest pieces...

Love,
Your Oldest daughter =O)

nannykim said...

Just lovely items!!!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Cindy! Thanks so much for the warm welcome back my friend! It's called enamelware... and I LOVE it! Your tray looks so beautiful on your ottoman with the burlap runner... gorgeous! All of your vintage pieces are just lovely... thanks for sharing them with us. :)
I'm glad to be back and that I'm able to visit all of my blogger friends again.
Have a great week!
Hugs ~ Jo :)

Linda Young said...

Oh yes, I love vintage things. Everything I own seems to be over 20 years old, (that's what Etsy says is vintage) chippy, a little worn, or should I say lovingly used, your vintage pieces are all beautiful, you've decorated so well using them!
Happy Spring!
Linda