Google Translator

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Our Manitoba




Welcome to Outdoor Wednesday
I want to show you what it looks like to live in Manitoba.
Manitoba is considered to be a Prairie Province, therefore there are no significant hills waiting around the bend for your kids to throw their sled or toboggan down on for a ride.
This is the type of structure that you will find in many parks, for the kids to play on.  It's a man-made hill of sorts.





I live within walking distance of the Red River and this is what the it looked like just a few weeks ago.  There was just a skim of ice, with lots of open water.










Do you see the Maple Leaf flying on the opposite shore?  I love photos of our flag.






This is what the Red River looked like a couple of days ago, it's quickly freezing over.  It is deceiving though.  Although the ice looks to be thick, it isn't and many people have gone through the ice on swamps and even on the river, recently.  One example is two little boys, one was quickly rescued and the second one was not.  The divers are still searching for a six-year old boy named Nathaniel, it's heart breaking to think of it.






It was only about 3:30 when I started home that particular day, but the sun was already low in the sky, showing it's radiant colors.

Remember to check out more great photos over at Susan's Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer.  I'm also joining Watery Wednesday, another very fun meme, check it out.


Have a beautiful day, my friends.

Hugs,

Cindy

17 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cindy, Those are beautiful pictures of the river in winter. I saw on the news about dear little Nathaniel. So sad for his family and community. You banner picture of your mantel is beautiful. Have a great day! Blessings!
Pamela

Jenifer said...

I love snow (but only in December!!). Your pictures are beautiful!

RicKaren said...

It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Millie said...

Great views of our river! I like the way the flag stands out in the mostly grey photo.

Ana said...

Oh what beautiful pictures Cindy...So much white snow everywhere. Love it! Oh and love your new holiday blog look too. Your header pictures is just precious. Keep cozy and warm my dear friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

P.S.
My thoughts and prayers for the little boy and his family.

Custom Comforts said...

Your pictures are just beautiful. They make me cold to look at them and glad I live further south. I don't think I could deal with that much snow all winter. Maybe winters aren't so bad after all here in Ohio :)
Cindy

Sharon said...

That is so very sad about Nathaniel!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of Manitoba!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Cindy,
Oh my goodness... it looks sooo cold there!! But, it also looks so beautiful!! What is it with me and white?? LOL! All of that beautiful white snow just makes everything around it seem so beautiful! I wonder if that would be true in a junk yard??? LOL! Sorry, I'm rambling.
What I really wanted to say is that Manitoba looks like a beautiful place to live... a true winter wonderfuland! How wonderful that they make those fun slides for the kids to play on in the winter.
Enjoy the rest of your week!
Hugs,
Jo :)

Donnie said...

Lovely photos. Nature can be beautiful and deadly at the same time. I feel so for Nathaniel's family. Glad you joined us at Outdoor Wednesday.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

So sad about little Nathaniel.
Beautiful pics! Guess what? It's snowing in GA! Doesn't look anything like yours though. Only flurries. We're happy just to catch a snowflake.

LV said...

A prfect winter wonderland for anyone. Very pretty post.

Nancy said...

Such pretty winter pictures. I love the beauty of where you live.

Hugs,
Nancy

Pauline said...

Dear Cindy, I lost you from my bloglist and had to send out an appeal, lol. So glad that I found you dear friend...liking the changes to your blog. We have much snow here too but the sun is shining so it will be melting. It's a blessing to have more than one season, don't you think?
Have a blessed day, my friend :o)
Hugs

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

You got some great shots. I love the snow pictures !

NatureFootstep said...

seems that you have the same kind of weather as we do. One day sunshine and cold, teh nest cloudy with more snow.

podso said...

Cindy, I just happened to find your comment/question on my blog--about "my president" the general--he was Dwight D. Eisenhower. Have you heard of him? He was president in the 50s. Before JFK.
I'm enjoying seeing all your photos! Beautiful!

"podso"

Greet said...

Cindy, these pictures are as postcards!!!!!! Really beautiful!
And I have to say your new blog look is fantastic!!
Hugs and kisses,
Greet