Google Translator

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

~More Gorgeous Photos~

Happy, Happy Wednesday to you!!!

I am excited to show you more gorgeous photos of our city.  These were taken New Years Day.  It was the perfect time to photograph the city because there weren't any pedestrians out and about.


Salisbury Restaurant over the Red River



Via Rail Station



I like this one because it shows you the way the city has grown, the old connected to the new.  See that row of windows in the middle?  It's part of an above ground system of walkways that you can walk in without having to go outside.  These hallways run for many blocks,  even across streets and they connect dozen of buildings to each other.  
What a great idea for a city that experiences bitter Winter temperatures.



The Fort Garry Hotel close up




The Ft. Garry Hotel, from further away.  You can see the revolving restaurant just behind the hotel, way up high there.  This has been designated a heritage building.  Some of the reasons being because of its Chateau style, evident in: its steeply pitched, truncated hip roof, punctuated by multiple peaks, progressively smaller dormer windows, and finials; its imposing massing; its smooth-cut stone cladding; and its elaborate decorative stonework.  It was one of many hotels built across Canada by the railroad back in the early 1900's.  I hear that it is very beautiful inside as well, perhaps I can get some photos of that one day.

I hope you have enjoyed another peek at our lovely old city, as you can see I am fascinated by old buildings as well as the history of them, but I won't go into that, I don't wish to bore you too much.  I am joining Watery Wednesday.
I hope your weather is nice, it's kind of sunny here, snowing lightly and only -11 Celsius.  I am hoping that the outdoor skating rink has been cleared off so I can go skating.
Have a wonderful day!!!

Cindy

19 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Cindy! Your pictures are so pretty! Revolving restaurant...how neat is that! Have you ever eaten there? We have a "top of the tower" restaurant, high above the city, but it doesn't revolve! Thanks for sharing...wouldn't be able to get this view of Canada without you!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos...we have the skyways here, too...they are a great idea!

Carolyn said...

Hi Cindy,
Thank you for sharing some lovely pics of another Canadian city.I love the old buildings!

Carolyn

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, your very nice photos, as well as your lovely city. I love you as much as older buildings, but beyond this snowing a little, the skies look beautiful! I hope you can go skiing. "Greetings, Rose Marie

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cindy, Those are some beautiful pictures of heritage buildings in Winnipeg. I'm sure those that work in the downtown really enjoy the elevated closed-in walkways during the bitterly cold winter months. I love the Ft. Garry Hotel - beautiful!
Pam

Betty said...

You have some lovely old buildings in Winnipeg.
The Fort Garry Hotel is beautiful.
Loved the photos of your Grandsons in previous post, also other family members. Your daughter is like you I think :)

Gail said...

Cindy, what a beautiful city you live in! I love old buildings too. I wish I could skate. My husband and I went once and let me tell you it was not a pretty sight...lol! Thanks for sharing a beautiful part of your city with all us.

Have a wonderful evening,
Gail

Carol said...

Beautiful!

Ana said...

Beautiful pictures Cindy! Not very familiar with Canada, never been there, but recently hubby, my daughter Briana and I have been talking about taking a trip up there in the future...We love to travel and visit new places. Wouldn't it be awesome?

Much love,
♥Ana

Tammy@beatrice banks said...

You live in such a fabulous place! And you're always getting the best photos! Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

The Fort Gary Hotel is AMAZING! Oh how I wish I could look inside. Your photos are amazing, thanks for sharing. I feel as if I've taking a field trip - the best part, I didn't have to do all the dreaded walking! LOL

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cindy, this is such a nice break in the day. I have been spinning in circles these last few days, and today I sat down and decided to enjoy blogging. And this post is an ocean of calm in the sea of insanity that's been my life.

I loved touring your city. And I love the dome on that one building that is obviously copper and has that wonderful verde gris color.

Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Off to catch up on your other posts.

XO,

Sheila :-)

rosarod said...

Hi cindy, not if you know this other blog with things from home, www.myromantictreasures.blogspot.com, to exchange impressions, greetings, Rose Marie

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hey Cindy,

What beautiful photos (again!). I love seeing *real* pictures from other places - not just tourist photos but images takne by the people that live there and love it!

It looks a gorgeous place to live!

Sarahx

classic • casual • home said...

Thanks so much for my little Canadian vacation this afternoon!
Mary Ann

Teena in Toronto said...

I stayed at the Fort Garry Hotel in December ... very charming.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

It's always a treat to come here and see pictures of your beautiful city, Cindy! The Fort Garry Hotel has such beautiful architecture!!
Happy weekend to you!
Hugs,
Jo

Marissa "Marathon" Stower said...

Hi Mom,

Just spending a lazy rainy day indoors, and I thought what better way to enjoy it than to catch up on a whole of your blogs that I've missed out on. So, expect a LOT of comments from me today!

Your city is so beautiful! I think people underestimate how pretty Winterpeg really is. Is that Ft. Garry Hotel a Fairmont? It looks VERY similar to a lot of other Fairmont properties, especially the one in Victoria, and I know most of the old Fairmont properties used to belong to the Pacific or CN Railway or something like that. Great shot of the bridge and river.

Love you!
Marissa

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

WATER

Water in a drop of rain,
Water swirling down the drain;
Water clinging to the trees,
Water filling up the seas;
Water frozen, water free,
Water is the stuff for me!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Wayside Puddle