Google Translator

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Target is Coming to Canada!

Dana Flavelle Business reporter for The Star.com reports that:
The much-loved ``cheap-chic'' discount chain, Target Corp., referred to by fans as "Tar-Jay," says it has Canada in its sights as part of a future international expansion plan.
Like many U.S. retailers, Target is mulling a move outside its home market after sales and profits took a nosedive in the past year.
The announcement comes years after Target was rumoured to be eyeing an entry into Canada through the purchase of Hudson's Bay Co.-owned discounter, Zellers. Hudson's Bay was publicly traded and widely held at the time.

Target said it would be at least three years before the international expansion plan takes place. In the meantime, the Minneapolis-based retailer said it would focus on updating its existing United States stores.


Apparently we can't expect to see one for at least three years, but I can wait that long, I have been waiting for two years already for the IKEA store and I'm not sure when or if that is even going to happen.

I am always reading about the lovely items that people pick up at "Tar-jay" and one day we will be able to shop like you Americans do, here in Canada!  That is exciting news to us.  A little fact that I picked up was this, did you know that there is about 23.8 square feet of mall space per ca pita in the U.S. verses 14.5 square feet in Canada. I wonder why this is.  Canada certainly is as much a consumer society as the USA is, in my opinion.

Now on to more interesting content.

Here is a great before and after story of a 1930's Tudor revival charmer that Peter Fallico, host of Home to Flip, aired.  If you've seen it, I hope you won't mind seeing it again.
 



They took out a wall and extended the cabinets the whole length of the room and I'm glad to see that they kept the vintage feel of the room with the light fixtures and the style of the cabinets. 


It's easy to see that there is great potential here.  Look at the wood floors and the great woodwork.


Isn't that gorgeous?  Thanks to Canadian House and Home for the story and photographs.

I know this was a different kind of post, just some things that I was thinking about.  I hope you are enjoying your evening and will have a great weekend.  


Hugs, 


Cindy

23 comments:

Alison said...

I adore 'Tar-jay' so I hope for your sake it arrives up north soon!

Vintage Gal said...

Cindy ~ I can't wait for the Tar-Jay store either! Yippee! Great post.
Marianne

Gail said...

Oh Cindy, I love Target and I so hope it happens for all of yall! You will love it.
Enjoy your evening and have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings my friend,
Gail

Pamela Gordon said...

YAY! I too am pretty excited about Tar-Jay coming to Canada. I hope it does have the same things as the American one. Do you suppose they'll keep them all the same? We don't have a satelite dish or cable - just 3 channels we call 'country cable'- so I don't get to see any HGTV. I love the makeover you shared.
Have a great weekend!
Pamela

A very blessed lady! said...

Awesome to hear about the Target...its worth the wait!!! Now I feel I have taken our for granted ;) And the before and after pics are wonderful thanks for sharing!

Michael - Innkeeper said...

loving those before and after shots! beautiful!

RicKaren said...

Your going to LOVE it! :) I've never been to IKEA myself.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Beautiful rooms and I usually shop Target. You will love it. Thanks for coming by and leaving sweet comments.

Tammy@beatrice banks said...

Yay for Target! Beautiful photos! I love before and afters.

French-Kissed said...

Target...I think you are going to love it!

~jermaine

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You are going to love Target! It has fun stuff, Cindy. And I adore those shots of the house you shared. What a beautiful place!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Teena in Toronto said...

I hear a lot of good things about Target ... I've never been. Zellers has been going downhill over the years so it's nice to have a replacement.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Yay for Tar-Jay... and for Canada! What a wonderful transformation you shared with us, Cindy. They did a fabulous job.
Have a wonderful weekend, and thanks for your sweet and encouraging words, my friend!
Hugs,
Jo :)

Linda said...

Love the before and afters! Very pretty!

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Oh, I hope your Target comes soon! I love Target!!
Now those are some gorgeous snaps of the rooms you've shown.
Thanks for popping in to see me and I hope you have a lovely weekend.
Be a sweetiu,
Shelia ;)

Deb said...

I love Target...can't wait! Sounds like it might be a while though. Have a great weekend Cindy! Are you having as much snow as we are? I am just waiting for spring! ~Deb~

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I'd love a Target in England. I'm always jealous of the things I see from there on people's blogs.

I love that makeover you shared. I could look at before and after photos all day if I had time!!

Sarahx

Pat said...

I love that kitchen makeover Cindy. I think that lantern would look great over our dining room table!

When you get Tar-Jay, don't forget to check the end caps for great bargains. Youngest daughter has all her b'day gifts taken care of for the year, from shopping end caps and other sales. Great bargains!:-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi, Cindy! Just dropping by to see what you're up to and to ogle those pictures again. I'm in love with the lantern in the last shot. I keep thinking that I need some sort of lantern in place of my fixture. That one would be perfect, though it is probably a zillion dollars!

Sending warm hugs all the way to Canada from me to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mildred said...

You will love Target Cindy! My nephew was employed at their MN headquarters for several years as their candy buyer - which included many trips to Paris to "sample" candy! (lucky guy)
I adore that kitchen/dining makeover. I love the vintage features they kept.

Thanks for your visit and I'll be back often!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
Do you have Walmart? if so Target is very simular to Walmart..
You will love Target, I have a Target only a few blocks away from me...
I love the blue walls in the dinning room photo..so pretty!
Have a sweet day and keep warm...we are having heavy fog today..
hugs, Elizabeth

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cindy...

Yeeehawww...Canada is getting a Target! That's great news for you guys! I must admit that I don't shop target very often but it's because the nearest store is 125 mls. away.

Well sweet friend, I love the before and after photos that you shared with us today! That home has "beautiful bones" as they say! Yes, I loved the vintage feel of it as well! Great transformation! It's always fun and so inspirational to see these kind of redo's!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Girlfriend, I came over as soon as I read your note! Thanks so much for coming by...I always, always enjoy your visits and sweet notes! I hope that my note finds you well, my friend!!!

Warmest winter wishes,
Chari

S said...

Hi, Cindy!

I think you mean Style At Home, not House and Home.

Cheers,

S