Google Translator

Monday, February 28, 2011

~A Crafty Monday Post~

Good Monday morning all!!!  
It is cold and sunny here, the temperature is -13 Celsius.  We are not getting the early Spring that we got last year.  So I am trying to prepare myself for two more months of Winter-y weather.  
 Take a look out my kitchen window and you will know what I mean.


It's just a matter of adjusting my mind to the facts of life and the fact that living in Manitoba allows us to enjoy all four seasons.  It just seems that some seasons last longer than others!



 
Yesterday was my oldest grand daughter's birthday.   Ten years ago, she made me a grandma.  I was in St. Louis taking care of my daughter who had been in surgery just a few days prior to that.  I felt like I should feel different and I didn't, it was a very weird feeling.  I didn't actually get to see her for two more months and by then she was an adorable little chubby, cuddle bug.  Holding her for the first time was so amazing.  Today she is in grade four, makes excellent grades in school, she loves to read, do crafts and help in the kitchen.  Happy tenth birthday, my sweet Naomi. 

I made her a jean purse from a jean skirt that she had outgrown.  She loved it, I think.  There are lots of great tutorials to be found on the internet.  I found Threadbangers to be very helpful.  I didn't put the flap on it that they did, though.


  We had two lovely, sweet girls over for lunch yesterday, so I made a special cake.  It's special because it is delicious and very low in calories.  



Here's the recipe for Pineapple Pudding Cake.

1 package (9 oz.) yellow cake mix
1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
1 pkg. (1 oz.) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pkg. (8 oz.) fat-free cream cheese
1 can (20 oz) unsweetened crushed pineapple, well drained
1 carton (8 oz) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
1/4 cup shopped pecans, toasted
20 maraschino cherries, (I did not use these)

Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions; pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake as indicated on box.  Cool.

In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes.  Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.  In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in pudding mixture until blended.  Spread evenly over cake.  Sprinkle with drained pineapple; spread with whipped topping.  Sprinkle with pecans and garnish with cherries, if you have them.  Refrigerate until serving.

Yield: 20 servings
Calories: 131 per serving

I found that the topping was not very sweet, the next time I make it I will add 1/4 cup Splenda to the cream cheese mixture.  It's a light and enjoyable dessert, it would be perfect for the summer time.  I will definitely make it again.

I am joining Skip to my Lou today.  If you are looking for craft ideas go take a look, there are nearly 250  blogs linked up there already!

Hugs,



20 comments:

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, you're a young grandmother! We have seen photos of several of your beautiful grandchildren and is truly a blessing, to have an extended family. I think the grandchildren and the children are the jewels in your crown. "Sure you enjoy your beautiful granddaughter gift bag mahon her skirt, very cute and practical. Ah! and your cake looks like it was delicious, pineapple pudding, I'll try, Greetings, Rose Marie

Joanne said...

Beautiful post! Your grand daughter looks so sweet!
Love that bag, ribbon and all!
It looks like that outside my window too!
We'll try to keep on the sunny side, even when the cold winds blow....:)
Sending love and hugs,
Joanne

Pamela Gordon said...

And my window too! LOL (except it's storming again today!) I love the jean purse you made and I'm sure your sweet granddaughter will too. The cake looks delicious - YUM! Enjoy. Blessings and hugs, Pam

RicKaren said...

I love the view out your window, but then...I am a cold weather person! Happy Birthday to your first grand--love the purse you made her! I may have to try that for one or all of my 4 girls sometime. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks delish!

Martina said...

Cindy your grandaughter is beautiful! Love the jean purse you made her and the pineapple pudding cake looks delish I'm going to try it. Martina

Shabby soul said...

Darling Cindy I only can say your grandaughter is soooo nice!
The cake seems very yummy (but at the moment I'm trying to follow my new year resolution to loose some weight... ). I'll save the recipe for better moments :)
Have a nice day darling friend
Silvia

Sheila said...

Thanks for your comment Cindy. I really enjoy meeting fellow Canadians. Thanks for suggesting a visit to Skip to My Lou. I'll check it out now. It must be so wonderful to live close enough that your granddaughter is able to come for a visit.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
Oh my your jean purse for Naomi turned out "GREAT" I love it... its such a fun idea..Happy birthday to you darling cuddle bug..
Your cake looks so yummy, I will have to try your recipe..
Its still really cold here and the cars were all iced up this morning. You sure are getting a cold spell too but with snow.
Have a sweet day my friend and big hugs, Elizabeth

Vintage Gal said...

Cindy ~ the jean purse is adorable! LOVE IT. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter. She's a cutie. The cake looks scrumptious ~ We still have snow here in Ontario too but it was 48 degrees F today ;-)

Teena in Toronto said...

It's been crazy here ... cold,warm, sunny, stormy. Welcome to spring!

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Oh, my goodness! Two more months of cold cold weather? It was 75 here today! :)
Your little grand daughter is one gorgeous young lady and sounds like a perfect little girl. I just have one little grand child - a little girl who is almost a year old. So precious!
The jean purse is adorable and I'm sure she loves it! Oh, my best friend in high school's name was Naomi!
Now that cake is right up my ally. Looks delicious!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cozy Home Scenes said...

Looks like you are making wonderful memories with your granddaughter! The purse is cute. Love the belt on it. The cake looks delicious!

Victoria said...

You don't look like a grandma! That jean purse is darling! The cake recipe looks great, I'll have to try this. I started losing weight NY's day but it's easy to get stuck in a rut eating the same thing day in, day out so this is definitely going on my list:)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

Ana said...

Oh Cindy,
Love the cute jean purse and that cake looks delish...Yummy! A very happy birthday to a very sweet and precious girl. Have a wonderful day my dear friend...Stay warm and safe.

Much love,
♥Ana

Pat said...

Your granddaughter is so cute, Cindy!

Gabi would love that purse! What a neat idea.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Wow! That cake looks scrumptious! I got chilly just looking out your window. Can't imagine. It's in the high 70's here. Things are starting to bloom and my allergies are working over time. Happy Birthday Naomi! She's adorable.

Gail said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet sweet granddaughter. She is adorable and the gift you made for her is just precious. I'll take a piece of that cake with a cup of coffee...please. It looks yummy!

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Hey Cindy, Your little gd is so pretty. Time flies does'nt it. Love the purse too. I wanted to let you know that I would be happy to look at your room . Send photos to my e-mail.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for your nice comment. I bet your granddaughter loved her new bag. It turned out very cute.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

You don't look old enough to have a ten year old grand-daughter. She's so lucky to have a grandmother like you....who makes cakes and bags and has her friends over.

Sarahx