Google Translator

Friday, March 11, 2011

My Cottage Dreams

Since I was a little girl I have dreamed of living in a beautiful little cottage.  I wanted it to have an upstairs in it and a cozy, fire-lit sitting room with bay windows.  As a teenager I found a book written by Kathleen Norris, an author who is an artist at describing rooms and scenery.  One of her narratives is of a small country home and it reads thus: 
"Soft electricity lighted the room on winter nights, but the lamps themselves were of old fashioned brown glass, with crystal pendants; the horsehair and walnut furniture spoke only of old New England; the hearthrug was dark brown with a tobacco-brown Newfoundland dog embroidered upon it in colonial wools; there was a beaded fire screen, and a black tin coal hod with a bunch of ribbon-tied roses stenciled upon it.  Children's books were on the lower shelves of the cases that lined the room; on one of the upper shelves Terry had his precious collection of his hundred favorites."  
Can't you just see the sweet little, old fashioned, bookshelf lined room?

The books I read fed the flame of love that I had for sweet little cottages.  And so the years passed and I saved images, first from magazines and later, on my computer.  Images of cottage exteriors covered in ivy...
source unknown
source unknown
...sweet little kitchens...

source unknown
...dreamy dining areas...

source unknown
 ...old fashioned bathrooms...


source unknown

 ...an enchanting front door...


source unknown
...toile draperies...
Chez Fifi
...even toile comforters...

source unknown


...darling little bedrooms for children...
                                                       
benjamin moore
 ...softly draped, comfy sofas...

source unknown
                                                                          

 ...a book-lined sitting room...
 

source unknown


Pottery Barn


...a little office to get away to...


source unknown


...white linens, soft pastels, antique furniture...

...I think you get the "picture". 

That's what my dreams have been made of for many years and just 2 1/2 years ago my cottage dreams came true!  We bought a little Craftsman's Bungalow built in 1926 and we have spent much time and energy on making it truly ours. 



Sarah, over at Modern Country Style
is having a party today!  A party that is all about what has inspired us.  Go take a look, I have a feeling there is going to be lots of eye-candy there today.
And thank you for hanging in there with me, while I told my story of what has inspired me over the years.

What do you dream of?  Are you living in your dream house now?  If you aren't, don't give up, keep dreaming, I did.  But if you are, good for you, you are truly blessed.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
(Another sweet little cottage bedroom from Chez Fifi...I had to add just one more.)

37 comments:

Heather said...

I love the kitchen! I could see us sipping tea and eating crumpets at that table! Nice post!

ShabbilyByTheSea said...

This post has left me breathless,what beautiful images you have chosen that are going to inspire me in our renovations,
Love Kristina x

Jenifer said...

Love it all! So beautiful!

Pamela Gordon said...

You Have acheived your dream cottage Cindy! I do love your kitchen as you know and your cozy living room too. It's fun to dream and better when that dream becomes reality. Blessings today! Pamela

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

thanks for stoppy by, Cindy. so happy to discover you via the link party. omg these images are charming! just the words '1926 cottage' make me swoon...

michele

Divine Theatre said...

It is interesting the way words in a book influence the way we decorate.
My home is part Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Anderson, Fydor Dostoevsky, Ann Rice, J.K. Rowling...the list goes on and on!

michelle said...

Hi Cindy, what wonderful photos and inspirations. I am in love with those bathrooms. I am so happy that your dreams have come true. Your blog is so lovely!
Thank you for stopping by from the party!
xoxo

Odile said...

Merveilleux post, j'adore toutes les photos, délicieuses. Good weekend and hello from spain.

Cindy said...

Love each photo! So glad you now have your sweet cottage to make your very own! So important to never stop dreaming, because dreams do come true!
Blessings sweet Cindy!
Cindy

Jennifer said...

I love that bathroom... and that draped sofa! My oh my! Thanks for the pretty cottage inspiration :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

It's so lovely to see the thoughts that have led you to decorate your cottage so beautifully. I love the kitchen diner with the shutters and chandelier especially. Yum!!!

Sarahx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

It's so lovely to see the thoughts that have led you to decorate your cottage so beautifully. I love the kitchen diner with the shutters and chandelier especially. Yum!!!

Sarahx

Josefa Lunares said...

Cindy God hear you, live in an apartment of 80 square meters and I need much space as I have two young children my dream would be to have a house with a yard or more bedrooms with fitted wardrobes ahiiii important are god, I have 2 and need only masss !!!!! 'll keep on dreaming but I sometimes think that if I did not succeed in 36 years that I have and I will not pray Mentre because people do not even have a roof to sleep.

Magali @ The Little White House said...

Just like you, I have tons of pictures in my computer: cottage gardens, cottages kitchens, cottage bedrooms... I love your cottage bathrooms pictures.

Carol said...

Cindy,
These are beautiful and inspirational images! You could also put your own beautiful kitchen in there - it's an inspiration as well!
I want to take a tour of your beautiful home!

Lisa said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for visiting. I love these pictures. Your blog is lovely. I really like the pictures of your kitchen. It's gorgeous, form the light fittings, to the ruffles. I'm following.

Hugs,
Lisa x

Carolyn said...

Hi cindy,
I am so happy for your that your dream has come true and you have made your own sweet little cottage a very charming home!

Have a great weekend,
Carolyn

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

You have done a great job at turning your dreams into reality! I love each photo you posted. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over!
Happy Weekend my sweet friend!

Dear Lillie said...

I dream of cottages too! All of the photos are lovely!

Pamela said...

Love this post Cindy!!!!
Oh I want a home just like this and that second photo is just gorgeous!!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Wow! beautiful rooms to dream about. I could sit in a bubble bath in that tub in the midst of that sunny yellow bathroom... and dream the day away!

I don't think I've posted a link very much like this... so I'll just live vicariously through your pictures, can I?

I'm going to check out that party!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

Lovely, dreamy photos. So nice to 'meet' you in your lovely blog. XOL

Pauline said...

Dear Cindy, thank you for sharing your dreams with us. how cute those cottages are :o) I don't know if my dreams will come true but I'm still praying about it. If it is God's will then it will come true :o)
Have a blessed weekend

Susan in SC said...

I live in the cottage of my dreams as well! I love my little house!

Joanne said...

This post reminds me of the book:
Mandy by Julie Andrews...you must read it!
We stayed a t a cottage in England called:
Kissing Gate...perfect dream cottage.
Love this post!
Blessings on your weekend!
Joanne

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Oh, I totally understand. I think I've had a similar dream (only I haven't moved into my cottage yet). I've always adored small, well-proportioned, well-executed homes over big elaborate ones.

Karen said...

Your post has captured my dream cottage. I'm so glad you have found your cottage. Looking forward to sharing the dream by being a follower of your lovely blog.

Betsy said...

Lovely pictures, and I love the wallpaper in the bedroom with the double beds. I think I will do the same with an extra bedroom.. Love your blog.
betsy

Teena in Toronto said...

I want that tub!

Valerie@chateaualamode.typepad.com said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I love your inspirations of a beautiful country cottage. Every picture you posted is someplace I could live for sure. And to answer your question about wearing a ruffled skirt in your 50s, I say why not? Where what you want and enjoy.

Linda said...

Beautiful inspiration photos, Cindy! Thanks for your encouraging comments about my kitchen re-do project!

Privet and Holly said...

Cindy, we have had
similar images in
our dream folders
for all these years!!
I've had to work my
dreams around non-
cottages, but THAT
is my retirement
dream ~ to have a
cottage. LOVED all
of your inspirations!
xx Suzanne

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...

You have a beautiful blog. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas:-)

Greet said...

Cindy,
you have chosen gorgeous pictures of cottage house rooms! I also love cottage style because it are the houses which are so charming and which can be decorated in a wonderful way!
And I always have that cozy cottage feeling when I visit your blog my dear! You have a lovely taste and a very good talent to decorate your cottage house! I am sure I would feel 'at home' at your place!!
xx
Greet
PS Thank you for all your sweet comments on my blog! I am very busy with the redo of the orangery and the painters arrived yesterday! You already can see a difference!! I will show you the results later on my blog!

...tiktakro... said...

A cottage life is my dream, too. I'm happy for you that you already get it :).
The photos have that "like at home" feeling, perhaps because I have too, thousands saved in my computer .You are not alone...
I would love to read that Kathleen Norris book, seems to be such a gold mine for dreamers :)...

Thank you for your kind words regarding my late work and for visiting my blog. You are welcome!
Hugs.
Teodora.

Sheets on the line, love in my heart. said...

i love it!!! i am new at this blogging...but i love yours!
blessings,
rebecca

Anne said...

Hi Cindy! I just found this post through a picture on Pinterest & laughed when I saw the link took me to your blog! Isn't it funny how our blog images go so far & wide?

Lovely inspiration!

Have a wonderful week xox