Google Translator

Monday, April 11, 2011

The Fabulous Fifi Used to Live Here!

Hello my friends, I hope your Monday is going well.

You all know who the Fabulous Fifi of Chez Fifi is, don't you?  If you don't then go over and meet her and look through her beautiful photos.  She has had a blog for several years and is one of the first blogs that I ever read and loved.  Her home and style is Romantic Country at its best.  She is also the beautiful lady who recently wrote and published the book "Romantic Prairie Style."   I often wondered what gave her the inspiration to put together such a book, I know her style is sweet and gorgeous, but why call it "Prairie" style.  Well, here it is, Manitoba is one of the three Prairie Provinces in Canada and guess what!?!?!  She lived here in Winnipeg, Manitoba for several years.  She wrote these words in an email to me recently, "In fact, my years in Manitoba have been part of the inspiration for my book."  Her books introduction says this, "The years I spent on the vast Manitoba and Illinois prairie, only strengthened the primal feeling that comes from being in tune with the rhythms of nature and my affection for their ever-changing kaleidoscopic beauty grew even deeper."


Her years in my beautiful province are part of her inspiration for her decorating style.  How sweet is that!?!
 
The beautiful Fifi herself.


She did not ask me to do this, I am doing it simply because I want to.  I don't even have this book yet, though I have entered many giveaways and have not won one, yet.  But, I will order one, soon I hope.




These last three images are from her book.  Most people have never heard of Manitoba, but this sweet lady has and she has fond memories of her years living here.  
Thank you Fifi for allowing me to use these images and for writing the book that will put Manitoba on the decorating map, (I hope)!
Now onto more News, the Red River is swelling and has broken over the banks.  On Wednesday evening I walked down to the river and the river had caused huge piles of ice to appear along the banks of the river and  when I took my camera down to it on Thursday, here is what I saw.




The banks of ice are still there, but the river has broken free of all ice, is flowing freely and is rapidly filling up all of the low lying land along the river.


Notice the snow and where that bench is in this photo...


A day later, it is surrounded by water and the snow is gone.  We only live a block from the river, but our house has never been flooded.  Even back in the 50s when the worst flood ever swamped many of the streets and houses in our neighborhood, our house stood high and dry.  That was important to us when we were buying here.

Have a lovely day!

Hugs,


(Photo of  the first bench photo, this one was
taken on Sunday.  All of the ice and snow have disappeared.  Spring has truly arrived!!!)

18 comments:

Millie said...

How interesting! I now want to buy the book!

Rosetta said...

Anchio amo la casa di Fifi,la trovo in tutte le mie riviste d'arredamento,ciao,Rosetta

EG Wow said...

The romantic Prairie style is enchanting.

How dreadful that the Red River is overflowing its banks again this year. We are hearing a LOT about it on the news and are thinking about you. :))

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

That book sounds awesome. Your pictures are great! Sorry to to hear that the river is overflowing though.

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Ooooh, look at you mixing with the stars, Cindy!!!
It does look like a good book, doesn't it? I think you should get your own copy sent to you now because of this sweet, kind post.

I glad you are in a place of saftery with your house. That'd be really worrying otherwise, seeing the water flow out so much like that.

Sarahx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

...and, yeah, I meant 'safety'1!!!

Pamela Gordon said...

That is so neat that Fifi lived in Manitoba - great inspiration! I'd love to get that book too. Your river pics are beautiful. Love the last shot. I'm glad your ice and snow are gone. Have a great week! Blessings, Pamela

Linda said...

I just received my copy! Can't wait to read it! The snow and ice are gone here, too!!

Victoria said...

I want this book so badly, I've been hearing about it all over blogland! I have heard of Manitoba but I lived in Canada for 6 years:)

I'm going to try your suggestion of the little mountain setting on my camera and see if that helps! Stay dry!!!

Ana said...

I have not been able to get my hot little hands on this book either...Can't wait to though :-) Beautiful pictures once again...Love, love, love the last two. They look like they belong in a photograph art book. Awesome shots.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

One Shabby Old House said...

Thanks for stopping by Cindy. I enjoyed not only your blog but the discovery of it. We will have to stay in touch now.
Take care and enjoy your book when you get it. I am soaking it all in.

Pamela said...

HOw wonderful for Manitoba that they have a celebrity!
I knew FiFi had lived in Canada and her two sons are Canadian but i just assumed it was Quebec!
I wonder if she mentions Manitoba in her book>i hope so!
I can't wait to see this book!

I have been watching the weather channel about the Red River...hope everything goes okay!

Pamela xo

Pamela Gordon said...

Regarding my mention of Diane at Cozy Canadian Cottage, I only met her on another blog. She's a sweet lady living in BC for now but moving back to her home in ONT. very soon. You'll love her blog so look her up. Pamela

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

Thanks for being so nice about the mix up earlier today! I just won this book and a signed copy is on its way to me from Fifi. I'm very excited about it. Love, love, love your kitchen! Love the way you styled your sideboard. I just became your newest follower.

Pat said...

I really should pick up a copy of this book!

We have been watching the flooding news, closely. Eventually all the "melted snow" finds it's way here, too.

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I would love to get a copy of that book too! I think maybe she should just send you one for the nice publicity! lol Glad spring has finally arrived at your place. Cloudy and rainy here today but it'll make the grass greener for Easter!
Happy Spring!

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Hi Cindy,
I love Fifi and her new book! I pre-ordered my book a long time ago, so I got it a few week ago. LOVE it!! Love the pictures you took of the river, especially the one with the bench in it looking out across the river. You live in a beautiful area!
Thanks so much for continuing to visit my blog and leave your sweet comments, Cindy, despite the fact that I don't spend as much time on the computer visiting my friends. I really appreciate it. :)
Hugs,
Jo

Greet said...

It seems to be a wonderful book!! Amazing!
Cindy, the pictures you took are also very beautiful! You are an artist photographer! And you live in probably one of the most beautiful countries in the world.
xx
Greet