Google Translator

Friday, May 13, 2011

Another Refashion

Wow, I didn't think I would be able to post for another day, again.  But here we are, business as usual!  
How is your Friday going?  It's rainy here again today, but they are promising sunshine over the weekend!  
Hooray!  We can really use it, believe me.

I have refashioned another dress.  It was a simple sleeveless linen dress, too short on me, too wide in the hips and with a very low neck line.  And, happily, I had a linen skirt in the exact same color with a white floral pattern in it. So I knew I was on the road to another re-make that I would love.  And here is how I did it.

I added a piece to the fill in the neckline, then I made a pleated ruffle and sewed it onto the new neckline.  I made sure that it was reinforced with an interfacing so that it wouldn't sag.


Then I sewed two ruffles onto the bottom.  I really wanted three ruffles, but two was all I had enough fabric for and it looks fine with just the two.
I like it with the sweater...



I wore it with the white jacket on Mother's day, it was a little chilly out, so I needed the jacket.  I love the flower down at the ruffle line. 

In place of the white flowers, I could wear the little salmon colored flower on the neckline, I kind of like that.  Sorry for the blurry photo and the terrible coloring.  I really need to find a better place to take these photos.



I am loving this salmon color, it is one of the prettiest out there this season.  Another color I am loving is a nice bright yellow that I am seeing in the stores, I bought a pair of sandals and a t-shirt in that color today.  What color are you favoring? 

Do you sew, do you do refashions?  I have been seeing a lot of it on the internet on some really crafty blogs and they have inspired me.  Hopefully I have inspired someone today, too!  
I have mentioned several times that modesty is important to me, and this is one way to make a little dress very modest.
The linen dress cost me $6.99 and the linen skirt cost me 50 cents several years ago.  So for $7.49 I had a new dress for Mother's Day!

Have a great day,


18 comments:

RicKaren said...

You did it again! I don't have any of the salmon color, but I love it. We did yellow this easter.

nannykim said...

What a buy and it is nice to have some grand colors. I need to wear more colors!! I can't sew! ps. it is a relief to have the place sold!

Millie said...

Very pretty! I am sure you look great in salmon, (and yellow too!)

Pauline said...

That's lovely, Miss Cindy, :o) cute ruffle hem. I don't do the cleavage thing or the knee thing either. You're proving that it doesn't cost the earth to be modest in your clothing. Good for you.
Have a blessed weekend
Hugs

Rhonda said...

really pretty Cindy! I have not done much recent sewing but have been reading a pattern review site looking for ideas. So many comments are about the necklines being too big-low-revealing and they either changed it or will change it before they use the pattern again. This immodest fit seem to be what clothing and pattern manufactures are doing.
There was a big article in yesterday's WallStreetJournal about home sewing on the increase. It said sewing machine sales are up and Walmart is going to add back fabric to the stores they took it out of.
I am glad you are having so much success with your sewing and telling about it. Women need to know that they can do it too, just try.

Sue said...

WOW!! Cindy! You did it again. You are amazing my sister. And beautiful too.
xoxo Sue
I am going to see my grandLOVE AJ tomorrow - for a whole week! YAY!

Betty said...

Congratulations on your sewing achievments! You've made such a lovely transformation.
I like the formal look with your white jacket. Also like the little orange flower at the neckline. You have such a lovely new wardrobe for spring/summer. I used to sew, but I mostly mend and patch for the family now :)

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

That is so sweet! I think you need to open an Etsy shop. I'd be your first customer!

Cindy said...

Wow Cindy...another beautiful dress! Love the color too!

Teena in Toronto said...

Wow! Good job!

Pamela Gordon said...

Wow! That is a pretty dress. I love all the spring colours - coral, turquoise, green and pink but I haven't bought anything new lately and am wearing last years clothes for now. I don't sew, as you know, so I'll be watching for the spring sales when the real summer stuff appears on the racks. I hope your sunshine moves farther east. Just maybe we'll have a sunny long weekend coming up. Blessings, Pamela

Jane said...

You look lovely in that dress. I love that color too :) haven't seen you this week. Today is beautiful, hope you enjoy the sunshine. Have a great day!

Shelia said...

Well, you've done it again, Cindy! This is so pretty! You're so good at this. I've sewn all my life and used to make my own clothes. Now you've got me to thinking what I can tamper with and update it. Love the ruffles at the hem and the ruffle at the neck looks wonderful! You're good!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Cindy, that is a beautiful dress and such a lovely color. You are quite talented I see. I'm in awe of those gorgeous garden photos and the pretty house. When I wander through gardens so beautiful, I can easily lose track of time. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Shey said...

oh my goodness what a pretty dress you made! and I really enjoyed those pictures of the purple house. =D

Ana said...

You are just so clever Ms. Cindy. Your dress turned out very pretty. You have definitely inspired me today :-) I think back at some pretty dress or skirt I didn't get because it was just too short for me...ruffles, what a great idea. Wishing you a wonderful new week.

Much love,
♥Ana

Brittany said...

Another beautiful "refashion"!! I'm a big fan of the salmon color, too - just noticed that my closet seems to have lots of that color =) I've got a few of those sheath dresses that are too short for comfort, now you've given me some ideas! (AFTER the baby, of course. LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty. I like your double ruffle much better than the single ruffles she had on her page. The single ruffles remind me too much of the ruffles we used to add to dresses in the 70's. Just can't do that one again.
My Easter dress was a blue with a yellow accent and some brown in it and a brown sweater. Used my brown base purse with the blue cover.