Google Translator

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

~Getting Away~

Happy Tuesday, my friends!  
I was fortunate enough to get away for three days to one of the prettiest places in Canada.  In my humble opinion, anyway.
Kenora, Ontario sits on the edge of Lake of the Woods.  I have blogged about this lovely community before and I probably will again.  These photos were taken last summer, I forgot my camera when I left home on Thursday.

photo taken from Best Western website

This is the hotel and convention center where we stayed and had the meetings.  My room was on the 7th floor, on the side that faces the lake.  I had the most amazing view of all that loveliness, it was so soothing and relaxing!


Kenora is so beautiful!


It is not quite this green there, yet, but it soon will be.  Friday was in the 70's and I found a gal who loves to walk and walks as fast if not faster than I do and we walked for an hour along this trail through town and along the lake.  
Amongst other things, my friend and I were discussing "menopause", a subject that our speaker, Wanda Chavis had brought up.  (Wanda Chavis is amazing, by the way and tells the funniest stories!)   Wanda Chavis talked about the fact that it is important that we care about ourselves.  It's important that we LOVE ourselves, in fact.  If you are like me, you have made your share of mistakes, maybe you've made some bad choices and you've experienced tragedies.  But, we must forgive ourselves and learn to love ourselves and leave our failures with God, He won't remember them against us, the way we do.  Then the joy can begin to seep back into our lives, everything still won't be perfect, but it will be okay
I can honestly say that I love being in my fifties.  I have a lot more confidence now in who I am, and my relationship with the Lord is more stable and intimate than it has ever been.  I care far less about what others think of me and I can accept other people and their opinions much more easily.  
Life is a journey and it really can get better after 50.
If you are over 50, tell me your thoughts on it, I really want to hear them.

Have a really great day!

Hugs,

15 comments:

Teena in Toronto said...

It looks lovely ... I've never been.

Millie said...

I love Kenora! We spent many vacations at Rushing River, just 15 miles from Kenora.
And as to being past menopause, life is good!

nannykim said...

I just wrote a very long comment and it said it couldn't post it---some problem. !!So I am testing this out to see if it works.

nannykim said...

Oh...it did it again!! wellllll. The decade of my 50's has been good for relationship growth with God, spouse and family. It has been bad for health issues. Before my 50's I was in fine health. After menopause my cholesterol shot up, I had liver problems, gluten allergy, ovary removal do to fast growing cyst, SI joint injury so that I could no longer run 5 miles a day, osteoporosis , and foot surgery. My body went down hill fast!! My eyes got worse as well. I will be entering the 60's next year and we shall see what that brings!!! I have still been able to walk each day (but not last month or this month due to the foot surgery!). I have to eat vegan and very low fat to control cholesterol. I have to stay off gluten to not have digestive problems. I can't run due to the SI joint. So big things have happened.

Gail said...

Oh Cindy, I can see why you would think this is the prettiest place in Canada. Your pictures are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing a part of Canada with me.

Enjoy your day,
Gail

Julie Harward said...

That does look like a nice place. I walk everyday too and I am a very fast walker. When my hub and I go out together, he has to start jogging because he can't walk like I do. I am not a runner though at all. I just turned 61 and feel much younger, I think the walking is the key, it keeps the hurts and aches away for sure. :D

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Such a beautiful place! I know you had a great time. Love to hear Wanda Chavis speak.
I'm not 50 yet but I was thinking the other day how my perspectives have changed so much now that I'm in my 40's. By the time I'm 50, I may be the happiest go lucky person in the world! lol

Pamela Gordon said...

Kenora looks like a pretty city. I'm glad you had a great time at the women's convention. They are always fun aren't they? Well, I turned the big 60 last July and to be honest I was happy to be 'that age'. Some women would never admit to being 60 or even 50 but I feel very blessed to be alive, to grow more in my faith in Jesus and to be able to enjoy my family and friends. I have lots of muscle aches and joint pains but I try to stay active and walk often. Stay active, learn something new, keep a positive attitude, love and laugh! I hope you enjoy your 50's Cindy! Blessings, Pamela

podso said...

I am recently entered into the 6th decade, but loved the 50s. I felt so comfortable in myself, and so settled in life. A few more aches and pains now than then. :-0) Otherwise life is still wonderful!

Carol said...

Cindy,
What a lovely trip! and such an encouraging post.
I agree - a very important lesson I learned was to be kind to myself and have compassion on myself.
So timely - I will turn 50 on Friday!
Thank you!

Pauline said...

Dear Cindy, you are so right about forgiving ourselves. And I've been comfortable with myself in my 40s and now in my 50s. If the good Lord blesses me with a 60th birday, then I'd count myself blessed indeed. Don't know if i'd revert to my natural hair colour though, that might be taking it too far, lol ;o)
hugs

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I do so enjoy the places you show, Cindy. It looks so much lijke England...but somehow so different at the same time. It's hard to put my finger on how exactly.

It looks so gorgeous. Maybe one day....

Sarahx

Anonymous said...

Well my dear Aunt, I am not quite 50, but I thought I would comment none-the-less! You are such a beautiful person with a beautiful heart :) Just wanted to say that I love you and look up to you!
Kenora does look like a beautiful and peaceful place for a get-away. The pictures are beautiful!
Love you tons! xoxo
Krissy

Sue said...

Hello ~ Kenora is beautiful. I will never forget my stay there and how I was wowed by its beauty. I will agree that the 50s are not so bad. :) ~ I too am much more confident. And of course I am blessed with blond hair so I am not showing any grey ~ IF there are any!!
xoxo Sue

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, your 50s have been good to you. I think you look younger than when you were in your 40s. And yes, I think you have changed for the better. Softer and gentler. So, there's your report card from your big sis. A+
My fifties have been not so bad. I still enjoy life, although I am somewhat slower it seems, wiser but not smarter.