Google Translator

Monday, May 23, 2011

Mod Vintage Eating Area

Did you have a good weekend?  Ours was rainy on Saturday, but Sunday turned out to be sunny and warm.  It's a mixture of sun and clouds today, normal Spring weather.
Today is Victoria Day, here in Canada, commemorating Queen Victoria's birthday.
My kitchen has been described as being a mixture of modern and vintage, so I am joining in a fun party called Mod Mix Monday over at Mod Vintage Life.  I love Nita's blog, her home is so cozy and colorful and a beautiful mixture of modern and vintage.  If you haven't seen her blog yet, go over and take a look.


Truly a mixture of modern and vintage.

My oldest daughter sent me the runner for my birthday, so I have added all of the colors that are in it to my kitchen decor.  It is very cheerful feeling, so I like it.


Be sure to check out Nita's party today. 


On Saturday I made a delicious Upside-Down Berry Cake, it turned out to be delicious, but did not come out of the pan well, the berries wanted to stay in the pan.  I had buttered the pan, but perhaps if I had used baking Pam, it would have come out better.  I will make this cake again, though, it was that good.


It calls for fresh or frozen raspberries, blueberries and strawberries.  Then you put min-marshmallows and raspberry Jello powder and sugar on top of that.  Sound interesting?  I expected it to be extremely sweet, but it wasn't, just nicely sweet.  The tartness of the berries must off-set the sweetness.


It was 'berry' delicious!
  Here's the recipe:


Upside-Down Berry Cake Recipe

Upside-Down Berry Cake RecipePhoto by: Taste of Home Upside-Down Berry Cake Recipe Rating 4.08
86% would make again
“This cake is good warm or cold and served with whipped topping or ice cream. It’s very moist with loads of flavor and can be whipped up in just minutes.” Enjoy! Candy Scholl - West Sunbury, Pennsylvania
This recipe is:
Contest Winning
23
     
Upside-Down Berry Cake Recipe
  • 15 Servings
  • Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
20 30 50

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, halved
  • 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
  • 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil

Directions

  • In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the walnuts and berries; sprinkle with sugar, gelatin and marshmallows. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour over top.
  • Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 15 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 276 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Upside-Down Berry Cake published in Simple & Delicious May 2010, p37 



"Just as lotions and fragrance give sensual delight,
a sweet friendship refreshes the soul."

Hugs,



26 comments:

Farah Muzaffar said...

Beautiful place... I love the neat look of kitchen very much ... Berry cake sounds yummy...
Hope you would to have a tasty sandwich with me at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Pondside said...

That kitchen is lovely!
A berry cake would be a sweet treat for today's holiday supper - if we could have some sun we'd eat outside!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love that built in buffet! That silver tray looks fantastic sitting there. Love the more modern chandelier with the traditional furniture. Thanks for linking up to my first party!

Sunny Simple Life said...

I am in love with your kitchen. I envy those built ins.

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, not sure if I understood wrong, if your birthday, congratulations! if not equal! ja, ja, ja. That tasty recipe, I will copy to try it and see. I have not tried mashmellow with cake mix, but it seems to show! and so delicious to the eye, see how I can be right hand! Greetings, Cindy. Rose marie

It's a Wannabe Decorator's Life said...

Wow Cindy!! I love the silver pieces mixed in with the white dishes! I can't wait to explore your blog more. I'm your newest follower!

Millie said...

That recipe looks good, and so does your finished product..(when my baking doesn't come out of the pan well, I just think it proves it is homemade!)

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! You know I just love your kitchen! I love that built in area so much and the way you've dressed it is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cindy. You know how much I love your kitchen! I think it's so cozy and I love all the vintage goodies displayed. Your table runner is pretty and that cake looks so delicious! It is cold here today but Sunday was quite lovely and most of it was spent indoors. Ah well. Hopefully we'll get to have some real summer soon! Have a great week and thanks for stopping by. Blessings, Pam

Pamela said...

Cindy i absolutely adore your kitchen!! It is so homey, warm and beautiful!
I follow Mod Vintage blog..love her home too!

This cake looks soooo yummy!!
It rained here too!
Pamela xo

Karen said...

Your kitchen is so pretty, I love the built in. It really is a nice mix .

Pauline said...

Yum, drool, lol. If ever I get the opportunity of a new kitchen, I would choose one like yours ;o) I enjoy your seeing your cosy home and photos of your family. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your loving comments. Have a blessed day :o)
Hugs

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Your home is gorgeous as always. Love the cheerful runner!
If you're not sewing, you're baking! You put me to shame Betty Crocker! lol I've copied this recipe and can't wait to try. Yum!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
Happy Victoria Day to you!
You know I love and adore your kitchen! Its just perfect. I still love my curtains, Gary and I went shopping for new tile for the back splash in the kitchen. What is there now, was there when we purchased the house, although it was new we just don't like it. So we are now getting quotes on ripping out the old tile and installing the new. I can't wait!
We also did some gardening on Sunday still have a few things to plant.
Have a sweet day my friend and big hugs, Elizabeth

Pat said...

Your kitchen is beautiful, Cindy!

The cake looks scrumptious!

Linda said...

Your room is SO lovely, Cindy! Even though I love vintage, I have a real love of modern, too, and really like using them together! Your cake looks so good!

Joanne said...

Cindy,
Your home is so cosy with all things lovely!
I hope you enjoyed your Victoria Day Weekend!
hugs,
Joanne

Glimpse of My World said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.... come anytime... follow me ... i am now following your blog.... see ya soon!

Shey said...

what a beautil house, you know your post made me giggle a bit because my sister and I call eachother "Nita" which is short for little sister in SPanish, anyways, Nita sure has a pretty home. =D

Robin said...

I'll never tire of looking at photos of your kitchen. It's so pretty and comfy looking, you have such an amazing style.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why I did not know you are from Canada... your kitchen is so cozy,perfect for those cold weathers. We have been having crazy weather here, storms ect. Sunday we had some trees come down and everything was a huge mess. So gald it was the day after and not the day before the wedding. Thanks for the sweet notes that you have left me on my last two post. Sorry I don't get back to you each and every time... tate keeps me busy. I just noticed that I forgot to sign in... vicky Roomservice 101

Teena in Toronto said...

Your kitchen is so cute :)

If I made that cake, I'd eat the whole thing! Ha!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I always love seeing what you're up to, Cindy, and it's such fun to go into your kitchen with you.

I'm sorry late visiting from my post last week (still recuperating and battling that old injury), but despite my tardiness, I still wanted to thank you for your sweet comments. I appreciate them and you more than you know.

XO,

Sheila

Sue said...

Good day sweet sis! You know that I love your decorating!! Another thing - I always enjoy reading the comments your followers leave. Such nice ladies! If this were facebook I would click "like' on every comment. HaHa!
Copied the cake recipe - looks yummy - I will have to try it with my blackberries.
Have a wonderful week,
xoxo Sue

oldblackcatboo said...

I love your kitchen! Just beautiful.
I would like it even more if it had a black and white diagonal floor....LOL! Just kidding!
Very pretty and that cake is making me hungry!
:) Thanks for visiting my blog!
:) - Cindi

Ana said...

Hi Cindy,
I just love your kitchen...So inviting, cozy, and just the perfect blend of vintage and mod. And I bet it always smells sooooo yummy too...The berry cake looks delish.

Love ya,
♥Ana