Google Translator

Friday, May 27, 2011

Vintage Magazines

Good Friday to all!!


The weather here has deteriorated, once again.  But above all of the clouds is glorious sunshine and I will have to think on that all, in fact all weekend, from the sounds of the forecast that CBC radio was giving this morning.

So what better to do than relax and read through some magazines. My sister Sue gave me a stack of vintage magazines several years ago.  This one is from June 1944.


Lets see what is inside.  Don't you love the old advertisements?  I do.




And I love to see the decor that was popular back in the '40's.  Here are a few examples of traditional, modern and even country from an article entitled, "What Makes a Room GOOD".





I love the red used in the photo above.  And don't you love the area rug?


 A lot of the photos were in black and white back then.


Now for a Before and After of a guest bedroom.



Notice all of the red roses that were added.  A few pieces of furniture, the chest, a place for the suitcase and the footstool.  It is now much more cheerful, don't you think?  And a pattern so we can make the lovely bed jacket that the leisurely guest was wearing in the "Before" photo.


 And we will finish off with some recipes from Del Monte Foods for some summer salads.

I hope you enjoyed our journey into the 1940's 
and hopefully it brightened your day just a little bit.

Have a wonderful weekend my friends and I will see you next week!

Hugs,



 

22 comments:

podso said...

This is a fun post. Love the before and after on the bedroom!

Charity said...

I love old magazines! Interesting that all the furniture is pushed up against the walls! Funny how decorating styles change. :)

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

How fun! Like going back in time.

Karen said...

I also noticed the furniture was pushed against the walls! Old magazines are really fun, its amazing to see how much has changed and even more fascinating to note how much has stayed the same. Thanks for sharing.

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy. I, too, love looking through these olden mags. So much has changed and then some things stay the same! Hope the sun comes out at your house!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sue said...

Hi Cindy,
I noticed the title and the stack of magazines and though, 'Oh I love old magazines." And to think I gave them to you! HA - That's ok because you are enjoying and sharing them. :) It is fun to see how the sytles have changed but that our love of decorating has not!
Wishing you - and me - some sun! Make that "lots" of sun.
xoxo Sue

Pamela Gordon said...

Cindy this is a great post. I love vintage magazines and I think there is a stack down in my MIL's attic that I should bring home to peruse. I love the ads and the furnishings and clothing styles. Fun! Have a wonderful weekend my friend. Blessings and hugs, Pam

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Old magazine ads always make me smile. Sure shows you how much things have changed. Thanks for sharing the fun!

Pondside said...

I love those old ads! I had to laugh at the one that featured the maid - in my dreams!

Vintage Gal said...

Cindy ~ I would love to read a magazine just like that on a rainy day with a cup of tea and maybe a muffin ;-) Enjoy

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! LOVE the vintage magazines! ~Karen from Pink Parsonage (for some reason, blogger is not letting me sign in today.)

Shey said...

I have a couple of vintage magazines that are just taking up space in my room but they are too cute to toss or tear apart. I especially like looking at the home-decor and the outfits of course! =D

Cindy said...

What great magazines you have there, thanks so much for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Blessings,
Cindy

Rosetta said...

Che bello Cindy,vedere queste cose vintage,trasmettono calma.Buon fine settimana,Rosetta

Kathy said...

Hello Cindy! These are amazing - would love to wile an afternoon away looking through them,
Kathy

Pamela said...

Oh Cindy what treasures!! I love old things like this. I don't think i have seen one either!!
I love that red room it still looks good today!!
The old ads i love even old commercials i love seeing.
How much fun to sit with a cup of tea and just read these old mags!!!
Pamela xo

Carol said...

Cindy,
I do love the vintage magazines. The pictures and the ads are wonderful.
Thank you for your kind comment. Isaac the dog is well, and Clarence succumbed to his fatal illness.

Betty said...

Takes us back to another era, though the lounge suites would fit into today's decor, perhaps in more muted colours or plain. I like most of the furniture in the black and white pic.
Thanks for sharing.

A Cottage Muse said...

Those magazines are just wonderful ~ thanks for sharing!

Ana said...

Hi Cindy,
It was so much fun looking through these vintage magazines with you. It's amazing how much things have changed. 15 cents for a magazine? Wow! I don't think one can buy much with 15 cents nowadays :-) Thanks for sharing my dear friend.

Love ya,
♥Ana

BluBabesCreate said...

Thanks Cindy! And I love to hear from Canada!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Oh I love these! I have a vintage decorating book that was my mother-in-law's. I have seen old magazines at our antique mall but have never found any decorating ones. Would love to some time.