Google Translator

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Happy Father's Day

I am blessed to have had a dad who, though he worked long hard hours, he always came home at night and spent time with his six children and my mom.  My dad never complained that he worked too hard at building churches and being a Pastor, as well as working his full-time, very physical job.  He loved God, he loved what he did for God and his family and he loved his family.
My dad was the one who helped me to understand that I was acceptable, attractive and worthy of love.

My mom and dad during the very early years.
I thought my dad was perfect, until one day in a sermon, he made reference to himself as not being perfect.  I will never forget how stunned I was to hear that.  I was probably about 10.
Twice, I can remember seeing my dad actually losing his temper and raising his voice to us kids.  That was as bad as it got.  Normally, it took just a spoken word and we obeyed him.  And once, when he lost patience with me, he came back and apologized to me.  I was just a teenager and my respect for him grew by leaps and bounds that day.

When I was 29 years old, I called him and begged him to rescue me from the very abusive man that I had been married to for 10 years.  He became my real-life hero that day and then he shielded me from the threatening phone calls that ensued.  My dad was such a gentle person, yet he did not back down.  Then three years later, with tears in his eyes and a catch in his throat, he officiated my marriage to the dear, sweet, loving man that I have been married to for nearly 21 years now.
I think the most important thing my dad did for his children, was love our mother, and treat her like a queen.  We saw that lived out every day.
He left this veil of tears 20 years ago, at about this time of year.  And I know I will see him again one day.
I am so grateful to have had such a wonderful dad.

I seldom say much that is real personal, but I think my dad deserves to be praised just a little bit.

If you still have a dad that you love to bits, I hope you let him know how very much you love him.  I wish I had told my dad a lot more often.

Have a lovely day, my friends, and Happy Father's Day to my dear husband and to all of the wonderful dads out there!!!

Hugs,


20 comments:

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, how nice you honor and praise your father. What a blessing to have a loving father, a lover of good things as well as straight and I love you I love God and your family. Not everyone has the joy of having a good father. The mine is alive, but the complexities of life, has always been a complicated person. Many have wished to have a good father, but as this desicion is not in my desires and my hands or control, I have a father accordant with telling me that although my father and my mother forsake me, even with all the LORD will collect me '. And who has given me a wonderful husband, here love, it is the father figure I never had. Loving, responsible and has cuiddado me. I always pray for my father and ask for what I have not given it is a commandment with a promise to honor them. So too, I know there are many more good parents, they deserve a nice adnegados Father's Day greetings, Rose M.

Carolyn@SweetChaos said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father! He sounds like a very special man. I, too, am blessed to have a great Dad! Hope you feel the love of your father and your Father always :)

Linda said...

Such a loving tribute to your father, Cindy! I was blessed to spend some very special time with my father last week!

Kathy said...

Lovely Cindy I think we all think our Dads are perfect - wonderful that he rescued you and that you later found the perfect man for you! I know you miss your dad - I miss mine too!
Kathy

susie hinson said...

My Dad's mom died when he was four. She left a new born child, a 4 year old son and 8 year old son. Dad's father left the family soon after that so Dad's maternal grandmother raised these children on a hard scrabble farm in Texas. My precious father rose above that, became a decorated Army Officer, raised 3 accomplished daughters (along with my beloved mother) and told me shortly before he died, that his greatest accomplishment was his 3 daughters. I think his greatest accomplishment was honoring his Granny Haynes, who stepped up and raised her grandchildren under the most difficult of circumstances (unbelievable under our current standards). He never forgot her and always attributed his accomplishments to what she taught him. That's a man to be admired on Father's Day.

Betty said...

Like you Cindy, I had a wonderful father who I loved dearly. I am so fortunate that he lived to the great age of ninety-three. I still miss him.

Pondside said...

I call my dad whenever I think of him - not matter what the time of day. He's 84 and I know how important it is to say the things that really come from our hearts.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful post Cindy!! a lovely tribute to your beautiful dad! He sounds alot like my own dad, who I am blessed to still have with me, but what a blest reunion you two shall have in glory, ...you and your hero!
Big hugs
Jen xoxox

Shabby soul said...

So lovely words for your dad, darling Cindy.
Lovely post!
Have a peaceful day my sweet friend
Silvia

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and a nice way to honor your dad. He sounds like a great man. I still can't sign in... vicky at room service.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Cindy! Karen

Carol said...

Cindy,
Your dad sounds as if he was a wonderful, strong and godly man. What a blessing.

Teena in Toronto said...

Such a nice tribute to your dad.

Millie said...

Your Dad sounds like "the salt of the earth" kind of person, and what a nice tribute you have written today.

Pamela Gordon said...

Cindy, thanks for sharing from your heart today about your Dad. You are blessed indeed! Hugs, Pamela

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

What a beautiful post Cindy, it brought tears to my eyes. Martina

Pamela said...

Beautiful tribute. The picture of your parents is surely a treasure to have. I love it that you didn't know your father wasn't perfect. So sweet and speaks to the kind of father he was.

Blessings,
Pamela

Ana said...

Oh Cindy,
What a beautiful tribute to your father...Thank you for sharing...See, now you made me cry :-) So very sweet. Hope your hubby had a wonderful Father's Day too.

Much love to you,
♥Ana

Sue said...

We were 'Blessed'!!
xoxo Sue

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Cindy, for the wonderful words about Dad. He was a wonderful person.
I thought he was perfect too, until I was about 7 and he was trying to be nice to me and it was not what I wanted. Ha, of course I thought he should have known what I wanted. You are right, he rarely lost his temper. I only remember once for sure, and he was under tremendous stress and sick too. Otherwise, the only time I remember him yelling at me was when he as trying to teach me to drive and I scared him so bad he yelled and after that I took drivers training class. Oh, memories.
Love ya,
Judy