Google Translator

Monday, June 6, 2011

Mod Mix and Peanut Butter Cookies

My friend Nita, from Mod Vintage Life is hosting a very fun party.  This is the second time that I have joined.  
I love Vintage, it seems that I have more vintage items in my decor than anything else these days and I find it to be so comfortable, it feels so RIGHT.


Our house is a 1927 Craftsman Bungalow, so it is a vintage home.



When we decided to tear out our kitchen that had been redone in the 50's or 60's, by a previous owner, we wanted to put in a kitchen that had all of the modern conveniences, but that spoke of the past also.  The bead-board and the painted pine ceiling were two ways that we accomplished that.  Also the style of doors lent itself well to a vintage feeling, I think.


You can see the ceiling here that my husband put in.  (Click on any photo and it will be enlarged.)  When this house was built the kitchen was a separate room from the eating area, so when what was left of the wall was torn down, the ceiling in the kitchen was a whole inch lower than the eating area ceiling.  What to do?  My husband got creative and decided the pine boards would be the answer.  I think that was a very smart solution, don't you?



We hired a kitchen company to design and install the kitchen and truly that was the best decision that we could have made.  The counter in the corner next to the stove is is not as deep as the other counter, due to our stove being there and it looks great.  We could not have done it without Visions of Oak, the company that designed, built and installed our kitchen.
I love to cook and bake and doing it in attractive surroundings make it even more enjoyable!  Here's something that I made recently.



I love to bake goodies and when asked to bring something last weekend to a get together I wanted to try out a new recipe that I had found on the Taste of Home website.
These were a big hit and very easy to make, so here is the recipe.
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

  • 44 Servings
  • Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
20 10 30

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter-flavored shortening (I used butter)
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

  • FILLING:
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 3 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 to 6 tablespoons milk

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
  • Shape into 1-in. balls and place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 3/8-in. thickness with fork. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
  • For filling, in a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread on half of the cookies and top each with another cookie. Yield: 44 sandwich cookies.


I hope you enjoyed the Mod Mix today!
Be sure to leave a comment and I hope you come back again sometime!

Hugs,



32 comments:

Pamela said...

I love your kitchen Cindy! This is my dream. Oh i hope i have a home like yours one day!!
I never tire of photos of your home.
These cookies look soooo amazing! I cannot wait to try them!!

Pamela xo

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy I LOVE your kitchen!! Those cookies sure look yummy! Enjoy your week, Martina

Sunny Simple Life said...

Your kitchen is stunning and charming. I am swooning over the vintage touches.

podso said...

I love your kitchen and how you worked the old with the new. And your photos are wonderful!

Gail said...

Cindy, you have a beautiful kitchen and definitely one that I would love to cook in too. Your cookies look delicious. I'll have to give them a try after the wedding....trying to lose a few pounds before the wedding.

Have a wonderful day my friend,
Gail

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I have been a huge fan of your kitchen since the day I saw it! Gorgeous! I want one just like it! lol Love the beadboard, cabinets, everything! Just fabulous.

Pamela Gordon said...

You know I love your kitchen. How many times have I said that? LOL I wanted the glass little doors at the tops of my cabs too but it was going to be too many $$$. I love the beadboard backsplash and I'm still undecided what to put on mine as it will run behind the sink and water and wood don't mix. Do you like your above-the-range microwave? Our floor is being laid today! Your kitchen is a perfect mix of old and new style for your home. Beautiful!!
Blessings, Pamela

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! I kinda covet your kitchen, but then I have to ask for forgiveness! :) But I do love it so. Y'all just thought of everything when you put it all together! Love everything you've done!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

I love this kitchen as you know. Thanks so much for taking new photos of it to show it off even more. I love the way the cabinets are built...all the way to the ceiling with small ones on top. Just like the old style. Love the modern appliances and love the countertops. It is a perfect Mix of Modern and Vintage. Thanks so much for joining the party!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Your home is absolutely beautiful Cindy! I love the beadboard under your cabinets. I ordered a roll of Rhoda's beadboard paper, hoping to use it under the cabinets at the lake.

Thanks so much for coming by and commenting. I have been running around busy busy busy for awhile and have fallen behind on my visits. Maybe after next week I can get back in the groove! Ahhh Summertime!;-)

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, the recipe promises to increase the positive experience of our palate! and I agree with almost all, your kitchen is really beautiful, it's good to cook on it, Greetings, Rose Marie

oldblackcatboo said...

Can I borrow your husband?
and could he bring those cookies with him?
I'd love to have your kitchen and I adore that ceiling!
:D - Cindi
(visiting from Nita's Mod Mix!)

romance-of-roses said...

Cindy, you have a delightful kitchen. We spend so much time in it that we might as well have a lovely kitchen that we are comfortable in. I remember the pine boards from years ago in my parents home, great addition...kudos to your hubby for the idea.
Lovingly...Lu

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your kitchen. Love the old school house lights and your counters are gorgeous. I would love to cook in there, too.

Pondside said...

What a lovely kitchen. You have so many smart things going on - and I especially like the ceiling.

Vicki V @ blestnest.blogspot.com said...

This is a truly beautiful and inviting kitchen. I like the yellow walls!

Linda said...

I love your kitchen, Cindy! Our tastes are very similar! Love how the ceiling is done! You have done a beautiful job of being modern with a vintage feel!

traci said...

i just love your kitchen. i always enjoy when you post photos of it. i dream a little!!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Love those cabinets! What a great kitchen!
-Trish

Cindy said...

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Our house is also a 1920's bungalow. I love what you did with your kitchen. We added on to make our kitchen bigger and to add another bathroom. Sometime, I'll show pictures.

Josefa Lunares said...

guauuuuu cindy que tal estas guapa?? realmente tu cocina es preciosa y todos los elementos que la componen me fascinan, esos tarros de cristal grandes, esas porcelana blanca me gusta todo, me gustaria que me explicaras si tu has hecho el Nº 1 en el bote blanco que contiene cucharas de servir, si es asi podrias hacer una entrada explicadolo tengo un bote blanco y me gustaria ponerle algun numero como el tuyo. Gracias y besos.

hometown girl said...

your kitchen is really terrific! it does look so charming and vintage but updated too!! thank you for coming by! your blog is fantastic!! i'm going to go become a follower right now :) susan

❀ⒹⒺⒺ❀ said...

Oh WOW I adore your vintage looking kitchen.

Dee

InMyOwnStyle said...

Hi Cindy-

Thanks so much for leaving me the very nice comment on my blog. I truly appreciate it xo
Your kitchen is just perfect - warm and homey, but bright and sunny at the same time.I would love to spend my hours in there and would be baking all the time. I love the hanging pendant lights - they are the perfect vintage touch.

My best - Diane

Teena in Toronto said...

I love that stove!

May I have a cookie, pleez?

Betty said...

AEST 9.43pm 8/6/11
Hello Cindy!
Your kitchen has a very cosy look even with the inclusion of modern appliances. I would love to sit with you at your kitchen table and partake of those delicious looking cookies. You photographed them so well on their pretty pedestal dish.
Have a lovely day. It's very cold here tonight:)
Betty

Ana said...

Can I come over for some delicious cookies, coffee and some girl chat? :-) Oh, how I wish I could.

Much love,
♥Ana

Shey said...

You sure have a nice kitchen! And very roomy too! Those cookies look delicious!

French Kissed said...

Every time I see your beautiful kitchen I just want to move right in...of course the cookies seal the deal!

Jermaine

Kathy said...

Our home is a 1914 Craftsman! Love your kitchen - so open, bright and lovely - I will check out this party - sounds like fun!
Kathy

Lisa said...

Those sandwich cookies look awesome. I think every kitchen should come with a batch of those. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

Jenny said...

I love your kitchen, it looks stunning! What a great idea to bring the cabinets all the way to the ceiling, no wasted space and it looks perfect with all you jugs and teapots up there - fabulous idea! We are hoping to put a new kitchen in soon so I might 'borrow' your idea!
Hugs
jen xo