Google Translator

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

~Fresh Salsa & Peach Cobbler~

Happy Thursday!  And Happy 1st day of September!  It's hard to believe that August is now past, it seemed to go so fast.
It is beginning to feel like fall just a little bit, here in Manitoba.
When I go out on my porch in the mornings I have to wrap up in the little quilt that my sis-in-law sent me recently.  And it is dark by 9:00 pm now, sadly our summer weather is receding.   It has rained twice recently, after an almost rainless summer, it's not so bad.


Probably the best thing that I did this summer was grow nine tomato plants.  I have had to baby them along, I had to water them every day and fertilize them faithfully, but they are giving back in abundance!





I showed you the delicious tomatoes that I have grown in my garden earlier this week and Ann from On Sutton Place asked for my recipe.  She is hosting the Open House Party, and I am going to join her there.
Be sure to check out Ann's blog, this is a very fun party with some great inspiration!!  I was simply blown away by all of it last week!

Here's the recipe.  I found it over at Simply Recipes, but I changed it up just a little bit, so this is my version.





 Fresh Tomato Salsa
2 - 3 medium sized fresh tomatoes, stems removed, finely diced
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced
1 jalapeno chili pepper, (the flesh of the ones that I had were not hot so I diced the whole thing up, and threw it all in, including the seeds and it is very nice, but not too hot.)
1 garlic clove, crushed
juice of one lime (2 tbsp.)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. cumin

Put chopped up vegetables together in a medium sized bowl and mix well.  Taste.  If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add more chopped tomato.  If not hot enough, add more jalapeno pepper.

This is so delicious when you use fresh from the garden tomatoes!

I purchased some peaches that were not real good, so I made a cobbler out of them.  This turned out to be SO delicious!  I would recommend this recipe to anyone who asked, it is so good.
I found this recipe at Amish Stories



OUR MOM'S COBBLER

1/2 stick butter or margarine
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup sugar*
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups sliced fruit  (your choice) 

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Melt butter in an 8x8x2 inch baking dish. Put sliced fruit in dish. Combine other ingredients and pour over sliced fruit. Bake at 325 degrees for one hour.

In place of sugar you can use Splenda  or other reduced calorie sugar just check with Splenda box to see how much goes in. Also you can use this recipe with raspberry's, blue berries, peaches and more. IF using canned fruit reduce sugar to 3/4 cup.

Next time I will use my 8x8 cake pan, it was in use today so I used the casserole dish instead.  And I will use half sugar and half Splenda.


These are two recipes that uses the fruit that is in season at the moment.  If you try them let me know what you thought of them, I appreciate the feedback.

I am also joining A Musing Potpourri for her End of the Summer Celebration.   

Two great parties to check out!

Have a lovely day!

~Wishing You Much Love In Your Heart...Sweet Peace In Your Soul...And  Joy In Your Life ~ 
~Always~ 

(Now I'm off to enjoy more of the salsa and chips!)




23 comments:

Greet said...

My dear friend,
As in Manitoba, here in Belgium it do feels as if fall is making his entry!! I wish I had time to try your delicious looking receipts here! Or that you lived closer to me!!!
I would love to taste your mum's cobbler!Hmmmmm!!!!
Cindy you are become a renown blogger here in bloggerland! Visiting you it feels as a coming home a bit! I love coming over here to feel the warmth of you and your charming cottage!
I wish I could subscribe to your blog by email!

Hugs to you my dear friend!!

Gail said...

O'Cindy they both look delicious! I have bookmarked this so I can try and make them. Maybe this weekend because Jordan is coming home for a few days.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

BOTH of these look delicious, Cindy! The cobbler recipe sounds similar to one passed down by my grandmother that is one of my go-to comfort food treats! Your photos are so nice! blessings ~ tanna

La said...

Hi Cindy!

I made a big bowl of salsa last night to serve at a gathering this evening. The peach cobbler looks so delicious.

I'm hosting an End of the Summer Celebration and Giveaway. Come on over, link your post, and join in the fun!

Ana said...

Oh Cindy,
Yum, yum, yummy! I'm drooling here :-) Love cobbler and the salsa looks fresh and delish...Although I think I would add a little more jalapeños :-) Like my salsa nice and hot. Thanks for sharing the recipes my friend. Sending you a great big hug...♥Ana

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, I am so envious of your fresh tomatoes. Don just brought the first ripe ones in from the garden today. It is starting to get cooler here as well and the tomato harvest is lagging. If you use Roma tomatoes your salsa will be less runny. If that would be your preference. Love, Judy

BluBabesCreate said...

Love that fresh tomato salsa! Come on over and learn about the Canadian Winnie the Pooh!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Oh I love Amish stories. Best stories and recipes there. I think I could be Amish and be happy there except I would miss some of my electronics like the laptop.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

The recipes look great, I'm sure you enjoyed them:@)

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Hi Cindy, Ooo! looks yummy. I love fresh salsa. And fresh tomatoes out of the garden are the best. Thanks for sharing and coming by my blog and leaving your kind comment. Have a wonderful day. Karie

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Everything looks so fresh and delicious. Peach cobbler reminds me of my grandmother. She was a great cook. Thanks for visiting me, and for the compliment.

Town and Country Gals said...

Cindy,
It's dinner time now and I'm starving, now, all you have to do is come make both of those yummy dishes for me! I'd be a very happy camper!
Rebecca

Tanya said...

Ooooh, i love chips and salsa! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

~Tablescapes By Diane~ said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your salsa and chips look so yummy!! I will be right over for some, I do have room for some of your Peach Ccbble.

I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments and your pray's for my friend Melanie. I hope you have a great weekend coming up with your family.
XXOO Diane

podso said...

Your tomatoes look lucious/ And abundance all at once calls for what you did and the salsa (and peach cobbler) looks delicious. Enjoy those cool mornings on the porch!

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Wish we had a bit of your cool over here in Texas - it's as hot as can be still.
Oh, your dishes look wonderful and I'm going to make your salsa. We love salsa.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Teena in Toronto said...

Cobbler and salsa?! I'm on my way!

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Cindy! I heard it said that your summer was a 10 out of 10! The best one ever! I guess you might need a little rain now eh? Your recipes sound yummy. I'm having so much fun with our daughter and grandson. :-) He's the cutest little guy! Have a great long weekend. Hugs, Pamela

Pondside said...

Mmmmmm - it all looks like such a treat - the tangy and the sweet.

Wendy said...

You had me at peach cobbler. Save me some, I'm coming over! haha

Buttercup said...

I'm with Wendy. You had me at cobbler. Looks yummy and I'll be over, too. It's dark here by 8:00 pm now and I am so missing the long days of summer already.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Yay! Thanks for this recipe. I am definitely trying it. I actually have red tomatoes! So glad you came to the party. I would like to feature your home next week...it's my last time and I'd love to end with you. What do you think?

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Yay, alright, I love the tomato salad, my hubby even grows them in our kitchen window ledge, lol! Besides that, he loves, loves tomato salad and so do I! I will let you know, thanks. Hugs,
FABBY