Google Translator

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How to Make a Paper Banner




Or, some call it a bunting.  
I decided to do a tutorial on it because I have not been able to find one and so I made one for you, let me know what you think.





I started with 12' x 12' Scrapbooking sheets of patterned paper.
I turned it over and made a line with a yardstick from one corner to the other.





Then I cut it in half.





I then measured 12" up the long side and marked it, then a made a straight line from that mark to the corner.  Then I made another line 3/4 of an inch up higher.  Cut on the line closest to the tip of the paper... 




...like this.  Then fold...



...over like this.  You are left with a perfect banner shape.



Next, I decided that I wanted to put my initials on these three banners, so I found a piece of coordinating paper, put a letter on it and drew around it.



Then I cut around it and laid it on the banner.  I felt it was going to work alright, so I glued it on with paper stick glue.



Then I turned it over to the plain side again and put a piece of long ribbon butting up against the first line that I had 
drawn and glued it down.  Then I glued the little 3/4 of an inch flap down over the ribbon.



I hope that makes sense.

I didn't cut the ribbon until I knew that I would have enough to use when I hung it up.

I was working on this last night when a wind storm took out our electricity.  But, I was able to finish it today.


After the electricity went out last night, I was struck by how quiet my house was.  I loved it!  Then I went outside to sit and read and I was suddenly aware of the quiet night around me.  All I could hear were the birds, the squirrels, the wind and the neighbors laughter, it was lovely!  I awoke this morning to another beautiful, sunny but windy day. 



I hope your day is going well my friends.  Be sure to leave me a comment to let me know what you think of my tutorial.




~Wishing You Love In Your Heart...Peace In Your Soul...And  Joy In Your Life Always~ 









23 comments:

podso said...

You know it is amazing how many sounds we are used to hearing, which all involve electricity, and without it the silence is profound. Thanks for the tutorial ... your little banner looks so nice on your curtains!

Josefa Lunares said...

simplemente perfectote ha quedado espectacula y el detalle de las iniciales perfectas.Bss Josefa

Ana said...

Nice job on the tutorial my friend. Loved the choice of paper patterns and the special touch of the initials. It looks beautiful on your guestroom window. Thank you so much for sharing the how to's...:-) Have a wonderful day.

Much love to you,
♥Ana

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Very nice tutorial, Cindy! I think I could even come out with a banner your directions are so clear! hee hee! Very cute. Glad you enjoyed a nice read on the porch. Simple pleasures are the very best. blessings ~ Tanna

Julie Harward said...

I think it is very cute Cindy...it looks like fabric. Thanks for the easy tutorial! :D

Pamela Gordon said...

Great tutorial Cindy! Your banner is really sweet and I like where you hung it. As for the power outage ~ silence is golden! :-) Hugs, Pamela

Jenifer said...

Super cute!

Millie said...

That's a sweet banner. I'd like to try one sometime...maybe for fall.

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Oh, this is so cute and what a great job you've done. I've seen these all over and I'm so glad you gave a tutorial on how to make them! I just may have to do this!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Rosetta said...

Bravissima!Molto carino!Rosetta

Shannon@ Cozy Home Scenes said...

Cindy, thanks for the tutorial on creating the banner. It looks cute hanging across your curtain. Glad you are ok after the storm. Have a fun weekend!!
Shannon

Betty said...

Thank you for sharing this great idea...you are so clever.
Must have been lovely to sit and listen to the sounds of nature.

Sharon Wengel said...

It turned out real pretty , thanks for sharing !

Pondside said...

I love the look of bunting - and your tutorial was good and clear. I'd like to make some bunting for Christmas - it will only happen if I start now!

Teena in Toronto said...

Thanks for the lesson! So easy and fun!

Gail said...

You did a great job Cindy! I'm not good at writing tutorials. Being outside listening to nature is beautiful and I bet you did enjoy that.

Have a wonderful evening,
Gail

Becky said...

So easy and cute Aunt Cindy! I might try this in Mikayla's room... or my downstairs bathroom... over the mirror... or both! :-) (I have scrapbooking paper and ribbon coming out my ears.)

romance-of-roses said...

Cindy, it looks easy with easy instructions. Do believe now I can make one, I see them everywhere but never made one. Thanks so much...Lu

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your banner looks very pretty, Cindy, and your instructions were very clear. I'd like to make one for each of my grandson's rooms as their names are three letters each!

Laurel said...

Looks lovely :) Laurel

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I am so glad you did this. I have wanted to make a simple one and you are right there just weren't good tutorials out there. This seems simple enough that I might be able to do it.

A Cottage Muse said...

This is very, very cute...thanks for the step by step!

Shey said...

Oh I love this idea, I've been wanting to make one of my own for my classroom, hopefully I'll get to it. =)