Google Translator

Sunday, September 25, 2011

~A Linen Slipcover~

Hello my friends!  We are still enjoying beautiful warm, sunny days here in Manitoba.  What a blessing.

While I was at my daughter's house, she pulled out some lovely linen fabric that she had purchased to make a slipcover for her footstool and whipped this out very quickly.  She had purchased the footstool for its lovely lines, rather than for the fabric that covered the top of it.

This is the before:


 By the way, she found that sofa on Craigslist for $200.00.  It originally came from Macy's.  It's very solid.

This is the after of the footstool:




 A closer view:
You can see a bit of the wood under the slipcover, she likes the peek-a boo effect.




 She laid the piece of fabric on top of the footstool wrong side out and cut it about three inches longer on each side than the padded area.  Then she made darts on each corner and pinned it, pulling it tight to fit the top of the footstool snugly.  Then she sewed the darts.  For the side pieces she simply measured each side and doubled the fabric over, sewed each end and then sewed it to the slipcover.  Does that make sense?  Then she finished the raw edges with her serger.  It is very simple but nice, it fits her style of decor perfectly.  And linen is so nice to work with and always looks good.



 I think it turned out very nicely.  It is snug enough that the kids can sit on it and it stays in place fairly well.

Have a lovely day and please let me know that you have stopped by.

~Wishing You Much Love In Your Heart...Sweet Peace In Your Soul...And  Joy In Your Life ~ 
~Always~ 



 I will leave you with a beautiful bouquet of dahlias.  They grow so beautifully on the West Coast.


 

29 comments:

Pondside said...

Your daughter did a great job on the slipcover. I love the new look - so clean and homey at the same time.

Greet said...

Indeed a great job! The look is very elegant!
xx
Greet

Gail said...

That looks awesome Cindy! Your daughter has inherited your talent for sewing. I love her decor.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

Cindy said...

GReat slip cover, love it! Very pretty flowers Cindy...hope your week is wonderful!
Blessings,
Cindy

Peggy said...

Love how easy your daughter made that slipcover for the footstool seem. Yet I know I would be forever trying to make it. LOL

poppilinnstudios said...

Hi Cindy,
Your daughter did a wonderful job on the slipcover. I have a padded bench I'd like to cover, but I haven't found the right fabric yet. Hope mine comes out as well as your daughters! Enjoy your beautiful weather!
-Lynn

Pamela Gordon said...

Your daughter is as talented as you are with a sewing machine! That sofa is just gorgeous too! She was so fortunate to find such a beauty for that price. Have a wonderful week Cindy! Blessings, Pamela

Shannon@ Cozy Home said...

Cindy, your daughter did a fantastic job on the bench cover. She must have learned to sew from a very good seamstress. Would that be you? I'm sure you are very proud of her. It looks like she has a very nice home. Have a wonderful week, Cindy!-----------Shannon

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

She sews like a dream! Wonder where she gets that from?? Her room looks so cozy. Thanks for the fresh bouquet! Made my day.
Hugs!

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Beautiful job! Your daughter is quite the seamstress. Apple not far from the tree... ;) blessings ~ tanna

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Welcome home, Cindy!

Your daughter did a wonderful job in slipcovering that pretty footstool, Cindy. I prefer the solid pattern she chose.dahlias

Your dahlias are so pretty! Happy Monday!

A Cultivated Nest said...

Looks great! She did a wonderful job. I LOVE that sofa - what a great deal she got on that!

Manuela

Julie Harward said...

do love the couch and pillows...she is a great sewer like her mom I think, that looks really beautiful! :D

Ana said...

So I see your daughter is as crafty as her momma :-) The slipcover turned out awesome. She did a great job. Oooh, and that sofa was a great find. Wishing you a wonderful new week my dear friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Cindy your daughter did a beautiful job making that slipcover, I wish I knew how to sew!! Her home looks beautiful! Martina

Linda said...

The slipcover turned out beautifully! I have a feeling she learned at her mother's side!

Sheila said...

Hi Cindy. I love that you brought the Dahlias with you on the plane. They survived the trip well. You asked if I lived in Canada. Yes, i'm on a grain farm north of Edmonton. When I flew to Italy via Montreal this summer, we could see the flooding damage in Manitoba. The lakes were so brown. I hope next year is a better one for the farmers in Manitoba!

podso said...

Recovering a somewhat similar footstool is my next project. Thanks for these ideas! It looks lovely. I enjoyed seeing your house tour on that other blog you linked to!

romance-of-roses said...

That footstool is so lovely and now with new cover goes beautifully with the sofa. Wow, that was a good deal for the money on the sofa. Lucky girl. Smiles...Lu

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Looks fabulous! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...your daughter has inherited your taste and talent! Her stool's slipcover, is great and so is the sofa!. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, FABBY

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Beautiful footstool. I love the size of it too. I have seen those dark red dahlias before. They make a gorgeous bouquet. I'm so glad you had a good time with your daughters. Very special.

French Kissed said...

So glad you are enjoying such beautiful weather. I really like the style of your daughter's bench and she did such a wonderful job with the linen slipcover.

Jermaine

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Wow! this turned put gorgeous! what a great steal on the couch!
Lina

Rhonda said...

Hi Cindy
your daughter's home is beautiful! It is always fun to read about daughters who do things like their mothers too.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love that neat slipcover and the other look of the stool, too. Love your daughter's house, Cindy. She's as talented as her mother!

XO,

Sheila

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Your daughter is certainly handy with her sewing machine - I suspect she gets it from you!!!

I love this slipcover. It looks perfect in that room! So pretty!

Sarahx

Betty said...

Your daughter made that slip cover look very tailored. I really like the last picture in her loungeroom - so cosy and comfy :)

Linda Z said...

I like the slipcovered ottoman and the footstool! So perfect together. Way to decorate on a budget. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks like our Carolyn is as talented as her mother. Thanks for the insight. Love ya, Judy