Google Translator

Monday, October 10, 2011

~A Day to be Thankful~

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada, and although it isn't as big a holiday here as it is in the USA, many people do consider it to be a day to stop and count their blessings.
 It's origin is very different from the US's. 
In 1578 Martin Frobisher sailed to Canada in search of the Orient, once reaching what is now named New Foundland, he held a formal ceremony in which he gave thanks for a safe journey.  At about the same time, Samuel de Champlain along with French settlers did the same thing, they held a special dinner and celebration in which to give thanks.  They called it "The Order of Good Cheer" and they shared what they had with the Natives.  After that, Thanksgiving celebrations were held to give thanks for the ending of wars.  During the American revolution, Americans who remained loyal to England moved to Canada and brought many of the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada.  It's customary to eat turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie, and have a cornucopia.
  For our dinner today I am preparing Turkey, Candied Yams, Cornbread Dressing, Gravy, Green Beans, Cranberry Salad, Rolls and Pumpkin Buckle for dessert.  
My heritage is American, my mom was from Oklahoma, and some of what I prepare is from recipes she used when she was living.



For my family, it is a day in which we talk about what we are thankful for.


I think I will start here:
First of all I am thankful for my Savior and best friend, Jesus Christ, He is first and foremost in my life.

Secondly, I am thankful for my family, my husband, children and the four grandchildren that we love and cherish.  I have five siblings and their spouses for whom I am very thankful, too.  I am thankful for the health that we all enjoy.

Thirdly, I am thankful for my Pastor and his wife and my church family.  These are the kindest people I have ever known.
If you look closely you can see myself and my husband behind me on the right side of the photo.


Leadership team of Truth Tabernacle

Fourthly, I am thankful for the safe and beautiful country of Canada that I am a citizen of.  Here we are free to worship as each one of us sees fit to and it's one of the worlds most prosperous countries.

Fifthly, I am thankful for my home.  For home is where we nurture each other.  And, it's where I can be creative, here are a few examples of my Autumn creativity.





And for my latest find, at a Thrift Store, my Kitchen Queen!


Isn't it a beauty?  It's sitting on a crocheted piece that my mother-in-law made many years ago.  It's the only thing that we own that was made by her and it's the perfect color for an Autumn decor.

Last, but not least, I am thankful for you, my readers.  If you did not read and comment, there would be no point in blogging.

God has been so very good to us and we are thankful.

Every day can be a day of thanksgiving!
Have a wonderful day and be thankful!


Cindy

A David Psalm from Psalm 138

Thank you!  Everything in me says "Thank you!"
Angels listen as I sing my thanks.
I kneel in worship facing your holy temple
and say it again: "Thank you!"
Thank you for your love,
Thank you for  your faithfulness;
Most holy is your name,
most holy is your Word.
The moment I called out, you stepped in;
you made my life large with strength.
"Thank You"
 Verses 1 - 3 "The Message" translation

31 comments:

Pondside said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cindy! Everything you said made me think 'yes!' So many blessings, so much for which to give thanks! Enjoy your dinner and the holiday!

Jenifer said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you sweet friend! Beautiful pictures. Have a wonderful holiday!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Happy Thanksgiving Cindy!! Enjoy your day! Martina

Linda said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cindy! Its my favorite holiday! I love all you are thankful for...you are truly blessed! XO

Rosetta said...

La tua cucina emana tanto amore e tanta accoglienza!E' bello saper ringraziare e apprezzare le cose semplici e vere!Buon ringraziamento!Rosetta

podso said...

A wonderful post, Cindy. Thanksgiving dinner sounds great, but even more the list of your things of thankfulness. Wonderful blessings!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cindy, Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I give thanks that we have met through the wide world of blogging. I am thankful, too, that we are sisters in Christ and look forward to one day sitting down with you at the great banquet in Heaven!

XO,

Sheila

Julie Harward said...

I love all that you are thankful for...gratitude is so important to us and to our Heavenly Father. Your dinner sounds much like ours...my family will all be together this year. Love your little scale and pumpkin! :D

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cindy! Trust yo and your family will have a very blessed day! Karen @ Pink Parsonage

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Great post! I enjoyed it. So thankful for you my friend. I've been dying for some vintage scales! Love yours!

nannykim said...

Happy Thanksgiving! It is always so good to give thanks--It is an encouragement to our daily living.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Happy Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed your post:)

Blessings,
Linda

Shabby soul said...

Thank you sweet Cindy, for the words you say, they help us to think how many things we can be thankful for.
Hugs and blesings my darling friend
Silvia

Shannon@Cozy Home Scenes said...

Cindy, I hope you are enjoying the day with your family. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. Your menu makes me look forward to our holiday because we serve almost the same foods. I enjoyed reading your list of things you're grateful for. It sounds as if you have a satisfying life. There is much to be thankful for in all our lives. Your kitchen looks nice with your new scale especially setting on that beautiful doily. The color is perfect for a fall table.-----------Shannon

Betty said...

Happy Thanksgiving dear Cindy! Thank you for your very interesting comments on the history of Canada's earliest days. We are so fortunate to live in peaceful countries and I am so thankful for that.
You do have many things to be thankful for and so have I. It has been such a pleasure getting to know you through your blog, thanks.

Pamela Gordon said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Your post today is beautiful. We do have so much to be thankful for. Your fall decor is lovely and you found a really nice scale! Have a great week my friend. Blessings, Pamela

Cindy said...

Loved learning about the Canadian Thanksgiving! Hope it was a wonderful day!!! Blessings to you sweet Cindy!!!

Sheila said...

Yes, today is one day when it seems we do reflect on the blessings and people that are in our lives. Happy Thanksgiving to you Cindy!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cindy...

Well my friend, I am a day late but...Happy Thanksgiving! I knew that Canada celebrated Thanksgiving but never really knew the History behind your day of celebration. Thank you for sharing that with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful day and meal! Mmmm...sure makes me hungry for that traditional turkey dinner! Hehe!

We truly are a blessed people...aren't we, my dear friend! I am so very thankful that I am called by His name as well! I really don't know what people do without knowing and depending on the Lord. He has blessed me abundantly...I am forever grateful and praise Him!

I loved getting to see the photo of your church family! Awesome! I also enjoyed seeing your beautiful home dressed for autumn! I couldn't help but notice that famous Norman Rockwell painting of the little boy with his dog. It really is a perfect picture for this time of the year. I had kind of forgotten about it. Oooh...and I also love your new scale! The little pumpkin sitting atop it...sooo pretty! Thank you, dear friend, for sharing your faith...your beautiful home...and YOU...with us! I count you as a very sweet blessing, Cindy!

Love ya,
Chari

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cindy!! Your list of things you are thankful for echos my own in so many ways... we are very, very blessed and I am grateful to have added you to my list of blessings this year.

Love your fall creativity! blessings ~ tanna

Ana said...

Hello my dear friend....Happy Thanksgiving! What a sweet and heartfelt post. Thank you for sharing. Hope you had a beautiful Thanksgiving day. Sending a great big hug.

Much love,
♥Ana

Janet said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I enjoyed your post so much and especially the reasons that you are thankful!
Blessings,
Janet

Gail said...

Happy Thanksgiving Cindy. Loved your post today. It really made me think how thankful I am too.

Enjoy your day,
Gail

A Vintage Vine said...

Hope you had a great day! Love that scale!

Yolanda said...

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving. Your home is beautiful

Linda Z said...

I didn't know this about Canada! I love all the things you are thankful for and your fall decorations are really lovely. :)

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Thanks for sharing the Thanksgiving traditions of Canada...didn't know the history!

Your dinner sounds delish and makes my mouth water.

Happy Thanksgiving~ Pat

wendy said...

Your feast sounds wonderful!! I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. We sure have much to be thankful for!! The leadership pic turned out great! :) I'm thankful for you!

Lorraine said...

You have a very bright feeling cottage.
By your words, I know you have "light" inside your soul.
Love,
Lorraine

Shabby Marilyn said...

New follower, what a lovely post! Happy Thanksgiving! Pumpkin Buckle, don't know that one, sounds good!
I really like your burlap and ruffles ottoman and linen piece, everything looks great! Funny enough I have an antique singer table with a lamp, books stacked like yours and a bird on top! Mine is not at the end of my couch though, good idea!

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, thanks for the Canadian history lesson. I do not know that I have ever heard that. But the American food is definitely worth keeping in tradition isn't it? Our dinner is usually almost the same every year with only a few variations, depending on who else is attending and what they are bringing.
Love,
Judy