Google Translator

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Visiting Mount Rushmore

Today is Wednesday and I promised photos of our trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota last week.  
Better late than not at all, I hope.  
If you have not taken your children or grand-children to the Black Hills yet, then be sure to do it sometime.  It is one of the prettiest historical places I have ever visited.
I live in Canada and there is nothing like this here.

We arrived at the Mount Rushmore Monument at about 6:30 on Monday evening and it was quickly growing dark.  It was too late in the season for the lighting ceremony, so we simply watched as the lights began to shine on this magnificent monument.




They are, from left to right, George Washington,  Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln.

Mount Rushmore is part of the Black Hills.  The rock of Mount Rushmore is called Harney Peak Granite.  The presidents' heads were sculpted from this rock.  It resists erosion, wearing away slowly at a rate of one inch every 10,000 years.  At this rate it will last forever!

George Washington


Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln and George Washington have always been my favorite presidents, what a thrill to see them here in this monument larger than life, much larger!



The walkway leading up to the observation area.

Isn't it magnificent?

We returned to the monument two days later and were able to view it in the daylight that time.




We were able to see it and photograph it long before we arrived at the monument site.






The four sides of each pillar 
have a states name and the year they became a part of the union.






Seeing them in real life is truly breath taking, we took many photos while there.

Later that same day we were driving the Iron Mountain Road and we saw them again.  We were miles away at this point.






The weather was fabulous the whole time we were there, between 70 and 80 degrees every day!  How is that for October?
I hoped you enjoyed seeing our photos.  (My husband took most of these, actually.)

~Wishing You Much Love In Your Heart...Sweet Peace In Your Soul...And  Joy In Your Life...
Always~ 
 

22 comments:

Bethany said...

We visited when we drove out to WA from Maine. It was beautiful. Although I will say I thought it was going to much bigger. =) Beautiful pictures!

Julie Harward said...

That is the most unusual thing...we are talking vacation and this is one place we have been talking about I can see that from any angle it is breath taking1 ;D

Betty said...

Amazing photos. of a wonderful monument. I have never seen pics. from so many angles and not at night time. Thank you for sharing.

Pamela Gordon said...

These are amazing photos Cindy. I've never been there but it sure would be spectacular to see someday. I love the night photos. I'm glad you shared them with us! Blessings, Pamela

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful pictures! We visited a few years ago and really enjoyed it....just didn't get such spectacular photos. Thank you for inquiring as to my health. I have been a bit worse again this fall, but have upped the heart meds and that seems to be helping. I am not a good prescription person, but am thankful for them in this case. Karen @ The Pink Parsonage

Nancy said...

I was there many years ago. It's an awesome sight! I'm glad you enjoyed your time there.

Hugs,
Nancy

podso said...

Wow wonderful photos. I would love to go there sometime. Now that we have our national park passes maybe we will! :-)

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
Mt. Rushmore is so amazing!
I can't wait to visit there myself someday.
Your husband did a great job taking the photos!

Tamera Beardsley said...

Cindy, what beautiful photographs...the monument at night has a completely different feeling than I have ever seen captured....thank you so much for sharing my dear!

traci said...

that is breathtaking. i have never been there. we need too.

poppilinnstudios said...

Amazing and beautiful! What a wonderful trip. I love the night photos.Thank you for sharing your trip.
-Lynn

Sheila said...

The photos make me want to visit Mount Rushmore. It sounds like you had a wonderful fall getaway. How nice!

Chandra MoMoMod said...

Oh, Cindy, these photos are gorgeous. Vanessa of http://www.snappyandsavvy.blogspot.com JUST finished a road trip across the badlands! You'll have to browse her photos!

Chandra
More Modern Modesty

Sue said...

Hello - Love the pictures! Ray is a good photographer & the presidents are amazing - not sure why I have never seen Mount Rushmore.... hopefully I will someday!
xoxo Sue

Robin said...

I think I was eleven the last time I was there. My kids have been after me to take them for a couple of years now. Guess I might need to do it soon.

Linda said...

I loved visiting there, too...it was amazing how close you are on the observation platform!

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Your (hubby's) photos are wonderful, Cindy!! I am definitely putting this on my list of things to share with my Little Men (and see for myself!!). I am amazed at the size of them and how hard it must have been to get perspective while carving them out of the mountainside!! What an artist! Thank you so much for sharing these with us. blessings ~ tanna

Ana said...

Hi Cindy,
We took a road trip there a few years ago and it was awesome...It has been one of our most favoirte trips ever. I had seen Mount Rushmore in pictures and on t.v. before but boy, it is absolutely nothing compared to being there in person. Did you get to see the wild buffalo that roam the roads there too? Quit an experience. Glad you had a wonderful time. Wishing you a fantabulous weekend.

Much love,
♥Ana

andrea said...

Hi Cindy, thanks for stopping by. My, I like your photos of Mt Rushmore. I have never been there, but it is on the list of things to do someday. The night-time image with the flags was really impressive! I've seen pics of a Crazy Horse monument out there somewhere, too. Amazing what they can carve into stone. Regards, andrea@townandprairie

Janet said...

That looks like it was an amazing trip! I've never been to Mt Rushmore, but would love to visit someday!
Blessings,
Janet

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I really enjoyed looking at your Mount Rushmore post Cindy. I wanted to comment on it a few days ago but the poor hotel Internet connection I had prevented me from doing that.

This brought back wonderful memories!

Anonymous said...

Cynthia, did you also go see the Crazy Horse sculpture? It is just as amazing.
I am so glad you got to see these. Definitely worth the time and effort to see.
Love,
Judy