Google Translator

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Wild Animals of the Black Hills

Hello my friends, I hope your day is going great!
I promised that I would show you the animals that we saw while in the Black Hills of South Dakota, there were more than I had anticipated, actually. 

The first animals that we saw were wild turkeys, but unfortunately, we did not get a photo of them.  A little further up we saw this lone buffalo grazing in a park.






There were several deer in that same area, too.


Next, we took the Wildlife Loop and we saw these darling Burros.  Our daughter Marissa and I would have gladly adopted any or all of them, we fell in love with their friendly faces.





He had cockle burrs all over his forehead, poor fellow.





As you can see they were not afraid of humans, this one would have put his head in my lap if I hadn't closed the window before he got a chance to.

The next one we saw a little further up, was a real Eeyore, he had a droopy head and we didn't stop to talk to him.  He looked at us as if to say "I didn't expect that you would stop to say hello, no one ever does."  He just stood looking at us with his sad droopy eyes, then walked away.



This lovely log house was in the Wild Life Loop, it wasn't open when we passed, I think it was a place where you could get information on the wildlife there.




The State Game Lodge (above)
The State Game Lodge served as the "Summer White House" for President Calvin Coolidge in 1927 and was visited by President Dwight D. Eisenhower for several days in 1953. It was built in 1920, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The lodge features historic lodge rooms, newly renovated hotel rooms and pine-shaded cabins. ~Custer State Park information guide 




We saw this buffalo near the State Game Lodge.
And lastly, we saw the Pronghorns.





I hope you enjoyed seeing the wild animals of the Black Hills.
Have a wonderful day!
~Wishing You Much Love In Your Heart...Sweet Peace In Your Soul...And  Joy In Your Life...
Always~ 
 

Before I let you go, be sure to check out a great giveaway at Northern Nesting, Martina is going to give this lovely set away to someone!  It could be YOU!




15 comments:

Greet said...

Just beautiful!!! What an experience to see all these wild animals!
Beautiful pictures Cindy!!
xx
Greet

Gail said...

O'Cindy, what beautiful pictures and to be able to get this close is amazing! Thanks for sharing your adventure with all of us.

Have a wonderful day,
Gail

P.S. Thanks Cindy for all your helpful suggestions on my "stinky burlap bags". I'll have to give them a try.

Sue said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Loved them! My favorite were the 2 burros (1 black & 1 brown)standing on the pavement and the second shaggy buffalo. But I enjoyed them all. Looks like you had a great trip!
xoxo Sue

Shabby Marilyn said...

Wonderful wild animal photo's, I do feel for the donkey with Cockle Burrs, will have to look that up? Thank you for visiting my blog and your lovely comments, hope to have you as a friend!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Thanks for sharing the wild animal photos, Cindy. I'm drooling over that log house. Thanks for that too.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Great wildlife photos. I agree that the log house looks grand. Thanks for the kind comment on my grey painted rattan and iron little tables. I like their fresh new look.

Linda Z said...

Wonderful photos!! Those buffalo are just majestic! :)

podso said...

you must have been driving through a preserve? Great photos ! And I like that it was not sunny ... you get a better view that way. The great lodge looks wonderful!

Cindy said...

Wow Cindy...what amazing wildlife and nature! Thanks so much for sharing, your photographs are beautiful!

Betty said...

It's interesting to see those beautiful animals close up. The buffalo looks so powerful.
The log house is lovely. Amazing how they have incorporated different sized stones into the building. Beautiful photos.

Shey said...

such beautiful animal pictures, I especially love the picture of the buffalo. =D

Ana said...

Oh Cindy,
Great pictures...Sounds like you had a wonderful time...We had sooo much fun when we went too, maybe one day we can go again. Thanks for sharing my sweet friend.

Much love,
♥Ana

Vanessa said...

Having just returned from taking a similar trip (including the wildlife loop at Custer State Park) it was really really fun to see your photos. I fell in love with the charming burros too!

Jane said...

Such a beautiful animal pics. I enjoyed it. I'd love to see this place in the future. Glad that you were able to get away even for few days and to have Marissa spent time with you:)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh my --I'm so sorry that I thought Marissa was your niece and not your daughter, Cindy! DShe is very pretty! It is late here and I really should go to sleep :)

You saw so many wonderful animals in the Black Hills ..the donkey with his fsce in your car window made me smile!