Google Translator

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Stool Makeover

I am overwhelmed by the wonderfully sweet comments that I got on my table makeover!  Thank you to all of my friends that popped over for a visit and thank you to all of the new friends that stopped by, too.  That is what makes blogging so much fun, I think.
My latest project isn't quite so extensive as the table, in fact this one took no more than an hour altogether.  Unfortunately, I did not get a good picture before I painted and remade the top.

This is a stool that my husband brought home the day that he picked up the old Singer treadle sewing machine for me.  They are both curb-side finds.  The top lifts off and there is storage under it.  It is such a cute little thing that I keep it tucked under my kitchen table for 
extra seating.  
When I put a linen colored cover on it I discovered that it is really quite old, the padding in it looked like horse hair.  




Do you see it tucked in under there?  It had the old dark finish on it.  You can see more of the table before it was painted, too.
First I painted the stool with a homemade chalk paint.  (And by the way, what I didn't tell you about the table yesterday, was that I painted it with the homemade chalk paint, too.)

On Saturday I had a light-bulb moment!  How would the cover look done in a Union Jack like design?!
I grabbed it and ran to my sewing room and a few minutes later, it looked like this!



The colors look a little off, the turquoise is a very soft color and the red is a true red.



I love it!
The last project that I have nearly completed is seen in it's original state in the first photo in the upper middle-right hand side.  It should be finished by Friday.

Once these are done I have taken the "Imagine the Impossibilities" challenge.  Several very talented bloggers have gotten together and they have challenged each other to tackle some kind of a project by the end of this month that they thought was an impossibility! 
My new blog friend from Thistlewood Farm can explain what it's all about right here.  Just in case you wish to take the "Imagine the Impossibilities" challenge, too.  Ms. Thistlewood Farm is going to learn to make homemade bread!  Now that is a challenge, if I ever heard one.

Later this week, I will show you what my "Impossibility" is.  And maybe you can give me some idea of what you would do with it.

Until then...

Warm hugs, 
Cindy

I'm lovin' it! (again)

26 comments:

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

I adore it. Anything with red hearts is a fave of mine. Too cute!!

mosterfi said...

Nice! I like it:) Hugs Sofie from Sweden

Gail said...

How cute Cindy! Another fabulous make-over. Hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Another fabulous makeover Cindy!

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Girl, you are on a creative roll!! LOVE that stool. Very clever to come up with that cute design! lovin' it, too! tanna

Ana said...

Another project beautifully done. I love it Cindy. Keep going. You are, as Tanna said above, on a creative roll :-) Can't wait to see the next one. Have a beautiful day my sweet friend.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

rosarod said...

Hi Cindy, I congratulate you many times! First for the work done at the table of previous post, it looks so, so good! As the new project! is so satisfying to be able to restore and improve our furniture. Greetings Cindy, Rose M

thistlewoodfarm said...

Cindy,

YOU ROCK! Thank you so much for the shout out! Now onto that stool....what a make-over the union jack has never looked so good! Have a blessed and wonderful day!

karianne

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Cindy! Thank you so much for the shout out about our challenge, I can't wait to see what your impossible is. BTW - those chairs came out so great!

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

what a wonderful blog you have! your projects are amazing! i dropped in from thistlewood and the Impossibility Challenge :) and now i am your newest member! wishing you the best day ever!!!

miabellavintage said...

Love the heart.....kinda like x marks the spot. I love union jack anything..it is a smashing idea!

Your husband must love you. Any husband that goes a pick stuff off the curb is a keeper! Unless it is the guy on TLC last night who brought his wife dead roses out of the dumpster for their 25th wedding anniversary!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Considering that table makeover and adorable stool, I can't wait to see what your "impossibility" will be ...

... and thanks for the shout out about our little challenge!

Linda

nannykim said...

such a cute little stool!

podso said...

simply delightful! Can't believe you sewed that so quickly. How did you make the paint? Quite curious about that!!!

Millie said...

Hi cindy,
Somehow I missed seeing your table makeover, but it looks wonderful...I love the fluting on it! The little stool looks great too. We just finished clearing out my Mom's house so now maybe I'll have more time to blog.....

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Precious! You are so talented girlfriend! Love it!!

Pamela Gordon said...

Really cute Cindy! You are so talented. Can't wait to see the new project later on. Stay warm! Hugs, Pamela

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
I'm lovin your union jack stool. And homemade chalk paint? Reminds me of Huckelberry Finn!
I can't wait to see how your coat rack turns out soon. You are really going at it girl.
You are inspiring me to do something big!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Hi Cindy,
I heart your ottoman!!

Thanks for letting everyone know about our Imagine the Impossibilities challenge on Jan 31.

Can't wait to see what you've got! Following along!

Kelly

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I loved seeing your makeovers, Cindy. You did a wonderful job on them.

I am trying to play a little catch up today. Been sort of busy and catching blog time when I get a chance.

The painters are here today. It's good to keep busy...I guess. But a nap would be nice right about now.:-)

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

Oh my goodness! That stool is soooo cute!! I'm dying at how beautiful your kitchen is!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I hope you're having a fabulous week! The sun is finally out for us after lots of rainy days! Such a treat!!!

XO, Aimee

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So cute!

Buttercup said...

The stool looks terrific. Thinking about what my challenge might be.

oldthings said...

Dear Cindy,
Nice idea !!! I have one stool with very dark blue stuff.... I 'll make it soon !!!
Always you make wonderful job!!!!
Olympia

Betty said...

Cindy, you are amazing! You make everything so nicely and so quickly. I just love seeing all of your work. Everything goes together so nicely in your cozy home.

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I love the lines of the little stool and your design is so unique and different. How in the world did you come up with that idea? If it had been me, I would've probably picked a quilting design or something. LOL
And you've got to share your homemade chalk paint recipe! Have you ever tried to repaint over it or change the color with any problems? Definitely got my curiosity on this one.