Google Translator

Friday, February 24, 2012

A Re-faced Fireplace

When I mentioned a while back that my son (the bricklayer) would re-face my fireplace, many of you questioned me as to what that meant. Hopefully, I can, along with my photos explain it.
Firstly, the bricklayer found some re-claimed bricks that were to my liking. They came from an old building somewhere in my city, no doubt, as brick is used on most of the older buildings here.
Next, he cut about an inch off of each side of the brick, the larger side. Then after I washed them off good, he applied them, with mortar, right over the old black and red brick, matching them piece by piece. 

This is what the fireplace looked like BEFORE:

THE BLACK HOLE

Several people, who saw it on my blog, suggested that I paint it. When I suggested that to hubby, he suggested that I find another answer.
That was when I turned to the brick-layer and asked his advise.
And this is what we came up with.



The work has begun...


...it's partially done...


...the bricks are all in place. And below it's finished. Although we have not built the new mantel yet, it feels so lovely!




 Some may say that there's not a lot of difference, but to me it is bright and cheerful now, no longer THE BLACK HOLE in my living room. 




A closer look. I like the finish that he gave the mortar, it's an old fashioned finish that makes it very visible.

I spent most of yesterday on another small project. It should be done in time for Monday's post.
I am still in a creative groove, so I am off today to purchase drop cloths for, you guessed it, to make not one, but TWO slip covers. They're for the wing-backs in the living room.  I must be crazy, I have never done anything like this...wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

It's snowing again, it snowed almost all day yesterday and is continuing, I guess Winter was just slow getting started this year.

 Thank you so much for stopping by to see what's happening here, there's always something!
I'm joining Elna at Fun-Friday.
Have a wonderful weekend, my friends.

Hugs,
Cindy



I love it!!!

32 comments:

Anne said...

That's fabulous! Great job!!

Rebecca said...

That's what REALLY matters - is that YOU "love it"! I can't wait to see the final result.

miabellavintage said...

I like it way better than the previous one. Can you not have a real fire in it?

It looks so uniform now that the blacky grey patches are gone....nicely done.

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

I love it too!

S
xo

RicKaren said...

It looks great, and what really matters is that you love it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

WOW Cindy what a difference! Your son did an amazing job, LOVE IT!

paola said...

It's much much better Cindy!! I like it!
Have a nice weekent, too :)
paola

Gail said...

OMGoddness Cindy, your son did an awesome job! I can see why you love it! What a transformation!!! I can't wait to see how you accessorize the mantel and your new slip covers. Hope you have a wonderful weekend too my friend, Gail

P.S. I wish it was snowing here:( I would love to have at least one whole day of snow!

Pamela Gordon said...

Cindy your 'new' fireplace looks really great. Your son did a super job on it. I didn't know a fireplace could be re-faced. It looks so much better. We're getting a snowstorm here overnight and into tomorrow - up to 15 cm. It's been mild the past few days, like spring. Maybe this is winter's last blast. I hope. Have a great weekend. I can't wait to see the slipcovers. You can do it!! Hugs, Pam

poppilinnstudios said...

Looks great Cindy! Your son did a nice job. Can he do mine now?! :)

Sue said...

Nice job Greg! The re-facing looks refreshing. Using re-claimed bricks means that they have ‘history’ which is something you love so much Cindy. I can definitely see why you are so happy with it. Looking forward to seeing the new mantle!
Xoxo Sue

anangloinquebec said...

Oh Cindy I love the feeling of that finish. It really does give it such character! Beautiful job.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Well I can tell a difference! I love the texture of the bricks and mortar. I can't wait to see your new mantel. Good luck with the slipcovers. You are a braver woman than I! From what I've read patience is the most important thing. I wish we would get some snow...we have only had a few inces all year. I'm ready to be snowed in but I don't think it's happening anytime soon. Happy Weekend Cindy!

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
You are right, there is always something happening at your place!
The new (old) brick locks great!
It is more substancial looking and brighter, for sure.
I'm sure if anyone can make chair covers, you can! Have fun!

podso said...

That is simply amazing that he could do that and match each piece so perfectly. Tell him "great job"!!! he could specialize just in that! I suppose this could be a way to handle a painted fireplace that someone wanted back to natural brick. I like the color of the brick--very pretty!

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

I have enjoyed catching up on your posts today! First, the kitchen is just pure sweetness! The turquoise really looks beautiful! And I love the brick makeover on the fireplace too. Looks really old fashion. Perfection! Can't wait to see what you do with the mantel! Love it all!!

Pat said...

I love the difference Cindy. I am glad you found another answer.

Happy Weekend!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

It looks great, Cindy. The grout colour really helps lighten the overall look. Good luck with the slips.

Elna said...

What a nice fire place. Come and join my "fredags kul".

Hugs from Sweden
Elna

Betty said...

I love the warm tone of those old bricks and the thicker mortar accentuates it all so nicely. Must have taken a while to cut all of those bricks!
Your son did a great job. I think he must have inherited your patience and persistence. Hope the slip covers work out well.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I especially like the mortar- it reminds me of an exposed brick wall now!

Faye Henry said...

It looks great, Cindy.. I understand why you would do it.. Your living room looks so cozy.. Now, if I could just drop in for tea, eh?
God bless..

Sheila said...

It's wonderful that your son was able to help you achieve the fresh new look and you'll be thinking of him every time you enjoy your cozy fire curled up in your chair.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

The new brick is much lighter in color so I can see why you feel that way. It looks great!

Shabby soul said...

Darling Cindy, it' much more better now!Have a nice weekend
Silvia

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

Looking forard to seeing your slipcovers!! I have drop cloth and two wingbacks that are "in-waiting" too! You go, girl! blessings ~ tanna

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

You're right...it is bright and cheerful. Your son did a wonderful job refacing it and it's a wonderful alternative if someone wanted to change painted back to natural brick.
You're right...it is lovely. With everything else you've done so far, I think your slip covers are going to turn out lovely as well. :)

Miss Gracie's House said...

I can see the difference...it has such a nice color to it now...isn't it nice to have such handy men around?
You are brave to tackle slipcovers! Let us know how it goes...
Rene

Ana said...

I see a big difference...I love it! You're right it is brighter. And love that it was done with reclaimed bricks. Your son did an awesome job. Boy, only two months into to year and you already finished a lot of projects...Send some of that energy my way...Hee, hee, hee.

Much love,
♥Ana

nannykim said...

you have been so busy while I have been off line! love the transformation.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cindy...

Just doing a little catching up over here at your place, my friend. I had to leave you a note about your fireplace remodel...it's gorgeous!!! Ohhh my...you have been a busy little bee...remodeling! Love seeing all of your new things and photos! Thanks for sharing them with us!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I can see the difference and it's beautiful! Your son did a fabulous job on it.
Today someone offered me a love seat but it does need recovered and I thought of dropcloths right away. I've never did anything like that but I just can't stop thinking about it:)