Google Translator

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Got Rhubarb? This is so yummy!

One fruit that we have all summer long here in Manitoba, is Rhubarb.
I like it best mixed with Strawberries in a crisp, and I've never cared for Rhubarb pie. But this recipe that I found recently showcases Rhubarb beautifully with pecans.

I found it over at Taste of Home.
Here's the recipe and it is very yummy!




Cocunut-Rhubarb Dessert

Ingredients

  • 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) butter pecan cake mix
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • Vanilla ice cream, optional

Directions


  • In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, water and food coloring if desired. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender; cool slightly. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cake mix. Top with coconut and pecans. Drizzle with butter.
  • Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts1 serving (calculated without ice cream) equals 416 calories, 17 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Rhubarb Dessert in Simple & Delicious March/April 2009, p43


Speaking of yummy food, while enjoying the past long weekend, we made our way out to Steinbach to the
 Mennonite Heritage Village.  They have an original Wind Mill, one that produces old fashioned stone ground flour. We purchased a 20 bag of stone ground wheat and it makes very tasty bread.



There was lots of good old-fashioned fun happening there. They have a wonderful restaurant that serves traditional German foods. Very delicious!!!




(These photos came from their FaceBook page.) It's a wonderful place to visit. They were celebrating Pioneer Days last weekend.




I made some bread with some of the stone ground wheat that we purchased. I find that it's very different from normal whole wheat flour to work with, and I will have to find out what the secret is to produce a softer bread with it. Any ideas? Despite the heat I have enjoyed baking again.

Have a wonderful weekend, my friends!

Hugs, Cindy



Mmmm, so good!





18 comments:

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

Sounds like my kind of fun. Love the old green coffee container.

Rebecca said...

Oh, how I'd love a bite of that bread! (And I like the green canister, too...)

Sorry. I have no ideas of how to change the texture of your bread, but I'm sure SOMEone will know how! Your day at the Mennonite Heritage Village sounds fascinating.

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

That slice of fresh baked bread has my mouth watering!! And, if we weren't dieting, I'd be all over trying that rubarb recipe. :(

blessings ~ tanna

Jody and Stan said...

What beautiful photos and that recipe looks delicious!
New Follower.


Jody

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I wish you could send me some rhubarb! :) I LOVE it and it's near impossible for me to grow (I've tried several times).

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Oh, my mother used to make rhubarb pie! I haven't had the dish you're showing us but it looks delicious and I'll have to try it! I'm sure you had a great time in the little town. Your bread looks so tasty...pass the butter! :)
Hope you'll make my coconut pie. Not because I've made it but it really is so good and creamy and I thank you for pinning it.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Jenifer said...

Beautiful pictures!

I have honestly never tried rhubarb. Crazy, huh? :)

podso said...

I did not like rhubarb growing up -- pies--as you did not, I wonder if I would like this. It looks good!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Your baked goods look delicious and I'd love to go to the Pioneer Days!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

What a nice post. I love the bread making, and the great Coconut-Rhubarb dessert, it looks yummy! Sounds like a lovely trip my friend, I enjoy this kind of trips as well and so fun too.
Big hugs,
FABBY

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I baked last week too and really enjoyed it...your rhubarb recipe looks wonderful. I haven't made anything with rhubarb for a few years. My daughter loves it but she's not around much these days...if I made something I would eat the whole thing myself. :o) Have a lovely Sunday Cindy!

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy and thank you so much for popping in to see my paint job!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Betty said...

I don't especially like rhubarb on it's own, but I enjoy rhubarb and apple in a pie. I love home baked bread. Yours looks delicious. A wonderful aroma while it is being cooked then taken out of the oven
:)
Hope you are enjoying some pleasant summer days.
Betty

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh the bread you made looks so good, Cindy! I have been trying to cut back on carbs this past week as I gained some weight when I was away.

I don't find rhubarb here often --you are lucky to have sucha good supply of it!

nannykim said...

My Dad loved to pick strawberries and he loved to make pies. He would make the strawberry rhubarb pies and the shortcakes for us. It is strange because he never cooked except for pies! and biscuits!. He just loved doing this. I loved his pies. Your dessert sounds interesting!

I love that coffee container--just makes one feel homey to look at it.

I have found that different kinds of wheat really do cook up differently....White wheat which is not the same as white flour, cooks up softer. The White wheat is a different kind of wheat and it is 100 percent whole wheat. I don't make much bread now since I am gluten free and there is only my hubby at home with me. I sometimes make him some in the cooler months, but I have gotten lazy and in the summer months I don't like using my oven much (however, I do use it for roasting veggies--at times in the summer months).

Victoria said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today Cindy! I have very fond memories of rhubarb, it grew in our back garden in England and my mom would make rhubarb pie with it...which I hated as a child because it was so sour but I'd kill for a piece now!

That bread looks divine, I could eat the whole thing with a slab of butter:)

Sheila said...

This looks like a tasty recipe Cindy. Hearing about your fresh bread makes me wish i had a slice to munch on right now!

Ana said...

It is sooo hot I cannot imagine cooking much less baking right now :-S But that bread and dessert look soooo good. Nothing like a home filled with the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread. Stay cool my sweet friend.

Much love,
❤Ana