Google Translator

Monday, November 5, 2012

Rye Bread and Caraway Seeds


Hi, I'm so glad that you've come by today!

Most of us have heard the scripture verse that says “But my God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:19)” But did you know that sometimes he also supplies our Wants?

I was young, I was poor and I lived in a tiny cabin overlooking a beautiful little lake in the middle of nowhere, in Canada’s backwoods.
It happened that I had decided that I would make a couple of loaves of Rye bread one particular day and I remember murmuring quietly to myself, as I went over the list of ingredients that I would need, “Oh Lord, I have everything I need, except for caraway seeds. How I wish I had some Caraway seeds.”
With that, I picked up my water bucket, went out the door of the cabin and made my way down the hill to the lake from which I drew the water that I would need to make bread.
As I walked back up the hill I happened to see what looked like a small plastic bag lying on the ground and it appeared to have something in it. I quickly bent down and picked it up. 
“Hmmm...” I thought, “what is this?” 
The small bag was dry and clean and had several smaller bags of what looked like spices in it. And much to my surprise, there was a tiny bag filled with a couple of tablespoons of Caraway seed.
I felt like God had suddenly smiled on me! I clutched the bag of spices in my hand and happily made my way back to the cabin.
I was singing that day as I made that batch of rye bread, complete with caraway seeds.

I no longer have the recipe that I used that day, but recently I found one that looks promising at Taste of Home.

Here it is:





Rustic Rye Bread Recipe
  • Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
  • Yield: 24 Servings
2030

Ingredients

  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup light molasses
  • 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 1-3/4 cups rye flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions

  • In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add the brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Add the rye flour, whole wheat flour and 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
  • Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  • Punch dough down; shape into two round loaves. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  • Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).

Nutritional Facts1 slice equals 104 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch


29 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
What an amazing story! God is so...
good.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Oh Cindy-- that is a great story. I thought you were going to tell me there was something else in the bag and NOT caraway seed.
But God truly provided for your need.

I just popped over when I saw you pop up in my feed. You've changed the look of your blog.
I almost didn't recognize where I was once I got here.

Hope all is well with you. I'm going to pin the recipe because The Honey loves Rye bread!

have a great week and stay warm. Pat

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Oh my, such a wonderful story of how good God is! Your bread looks yummy too!
Blessings,
Cindy

Pondside said...

Sometimes you don't even have to ask, and you're provided!

Rebecca said...

How rare and wonderful - but How like the Heavenly Father. Rye brad is my mother's favorite. I should try this and surprise her....

Maple Lane said...

Hi Cindy, What a lovely story of God's love and provision. The bread sound delicious. Wishing you a delightful afternoon.

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

I'm hearing the song, "Great is Thy Faithfulness..." running in my head... Amen! And, the bread sounds delicious, too! blessings ~ tanna

nannykim said...

I think these kind of happenings in our lives our extra special. I fine when God shows himself in a way that is so intimate and He does something that would appear to be so "small" it is a huge thing! These "small" things manifest to me how he knows everything , loves us, and wants us to know it. It is easier to understand, from a human viewpoint, how he may be concerned with the bigger things in our lives; but when he does something like this in the small things it is as if He gave us a loving wink and has told us HE is there, present with us and knows all our needs and desires and loves us as a Father.

nannykim said...

man, sorry for the typos--our/are, fine, find--etc--I didn't proof/

Sheila said...

That's an amazing story and I'm glad I stopped by to read it. That recipe looks delicious and may inspire me to start baking bread. the idea has been crossing my mind lately but that's as far as I get. Your blog has changed I think...are you experimenting?

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful story of God's provenance! How he blessed you and will bless us if only we ask. I'm not a bread maker but this looks very tasty. Taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessings, Pamela

miabellavintage said...

Never underestimate God. I am reading Brother Andrew right now and all sorts of neat miracles happen, but this is just way up there. How awesome.

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Cindy,
What a wonderful and literal story of God's provision. I just love how He cares about the little details!
I am going to follow you on Pinterest now!

Faye Henry said...

That was so lovely, Cindy.. God is so good even in the tiniest of details..
God bless my friend..
The recipe looks great, too..xo

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
What a beautiful story!
There's nothing like the smell of home made bread! yummy! I'll be right over :) How I wish I could.
Sending you love and hugs, Elizabeth

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Your story is wonderful and your bread turned out perfect. I wish I could bake bread but have never been very successful. I am pinning this to try!

Joyful said...

This is a great testimony. I've ever made rye bread but I'm going to try this recipe some time.

podso said...

What a wonderful story, and so like God! Those little blessings are there for us to tuck away and remember during harder times! The bread looks wonderful my friend. Reminds me of when I used to make all of our bread.

Shabby soul said...

Darling friend, sometimes God appear to us in the most different ways... I'm a believer, and I can tell you that every time I asked him for something I really needed, he listened to me.
Your blog and your story always warm my heart .
Hugs my darling friend =)
Silvia

Julie Harward said...

I am so glad I stopped in for a visit...I loved this sweet story, I knew there was a reason that my heart connects with yours! I have been so gone of late, and will be for the next couple of weeks helping my youngest daughter and her new baby. I love making bread too, this looks wonderful, and I LOVE your Christmas quilt. Have a wonderful month! :)

Ana said...

God is good all the time...and all the time God is good. What a wonderful story. Just goes to show you how wonderful our God is. Thank you for sharing your story and the recipe my dear friend. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

❤Ana

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Cindy,
I think I might have something wrong with my list of blogs I follow. I know I follow you and you are not showing up on my side bar I noticed (and I want you too)anyway I added my name to follow again so if I show up twice you will know why. I have been noticing a lot of blogs I follow are not showing on my side bar lately.
Sending hugs, Elizabeth

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What a beautiful story, Cindy! Your bread looks delicious. I ave been bakig quite a bit lately to use up all my supplies before i move in a few months.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

What a beautiful Story! We love making bread and yours looks delish!

Betty said...

Thank you for your comments Cindy. I've missed you.
I hope you can find out what has happened with uploading pictures. I'm sorry I can't help as I use Picasa for posting pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos and Christmas posts.
Hope all is well with you and your family.
Betty

camp and cottage living said...

Hi Cindy
I noticed you haven't been posting for a while.
I just wanted to say 'hi' and let you know you are missed!
I hope all is well with you and your family.
Kimberly

Marissa "Marathon" Stower said...

What a great story, Mom! Those moments in life never cease to amaze me. Love you!

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Somehow, I missed this post but am glad I decided to back up a little bit ;)
Talk about manna from heaven! Well, kinda sorta, huh? God is so good to answer even the smallest of our prayers, isn't He? I would love to hear more stories about you living in the backwoods. Goodness, you were roughing it having to haul water from the lake. Tell us more!!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

I would love it if you would join me in linking up at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/clever-chicks-blog-hop-10-rural.html

I hope you can make it!
Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick