Google Translator

Friday, April 12, 2013

"Pearls of Wisdom"

I am doing something completely different today. 
Pearl was my grandmother, she was a spunky, opinionated woman whom I loved very much.
If she could have had a blog, this might be what she would have said.
Please read on and tell me what you think.

April, 12, 1952.
It's been a fairly uneventful week, other than making meals, washing dishes and putting them away, only to take them out of the cupboard and put them on the table again, nothing of a great deal of interest has happened.




Ruby, my next to oldest girl, has been working on Ann's graduation dress. 
It's hard to believe that my baby girl will graduate from High School in only a few months.
It's a beautiful rose colored heavy satin cloth that Ruby is using. 
Ann is going to look beautiful in it!




And there it is!
Gracious me, it sure does need a good ironing, I shall pull out my old ironing board, heat up the iron, and see if Ruby will let me press it for her.
Ann will look so pretty in it.
I have six children, one daughter with my first husband and five with Sam.
Ethel Ann is our baby girl, we call her Ann, Sam refuses to call her Ethel, due to the fact that it's my sister's name and he and Ethel get along about like oil and water.
Need I say more?!
That's why she goes by Ann.

Sam came down with a cold and didn't go to work today. It's hard to tell when he's sick, he just gets quieter than usual. 
That's about my only clue that something is wrong. 
Land sakes, I hate to think that it will mean $11.00 less on his pay check next week.
I can hear him chuckling occasionally in the living room, as I write, he's listening to Lum 'n Abner on the radio.
I'd rather he listen to the Blackwood Brothers.
I love to hear them singing about Heaven!

I received a letter from my sister, Ethel yesterday.
She was going on and on about her one and only child's graduation.
As if she is the only one whose girl ever graduated! 
Sometimes her attitude burns me up.
She lives in California, that's where all the movie stars are, I wouldn't live there for a thousand dollars!
I would never be a movie star, I was almost a phone operator once, though. 
I was offered the job, but I turned it down to marry Sam.
Sometimes I dream of what my life would have been like had I become a telephone operator...



Well, that's about it, this is Pearl in Tulsa, signing off... I hope you've gleaned a few "pearls of wisdom" today.
Have a good weekend!
Pearl Elizabeth


The photos are mine, taken in my house, of my mother's graduation dress. The people mentioned are real.

Have you ever tried something out of the ordinary like this on your blog?
Should I do this again?
Tell me what you think.

Thank you for coming by and leaving a comment!

Hugs, Cindy





30 comments:

anangloinquebec said...

Of course you should try this again Cindy! Fun. I found myself trying to situate myself in that period in history. I was actually thinking of my own grandmother, Sadie and what her post would say.
Very original...great.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I loved this post. So real and makes me think of my mom. Such fun. Hugs, Marty

Pamela Gordon said...

I also enjoyed this post Cindy. It reminded me of the good old days when I was a toddler. I don't know if my grandmother or mother sewed. I don't think they did, but, that dress looks similar to my mother's graduations dress she had in the 30's. It was a grey/blue satin. I hope you write some more post stories like this. Enjoyable! Hugs, my friend. Pam

Marina Pérez said...

Amazing Cindy! You are great I think a lot about life at those times, I like listening stories about my grandparents and about the chilhood of my parents.

Thanks

Marina

Sue said...

What a sweet story of another day and time..... Saw your caulking question on Ann's post today re: the
caulk pulling away from the tub- here is a tip I learned from my hangman- before caulking , fill the tub with water and keep it filled for the wntire time it takes the cauk to fully cure: at the very least- overnight The weight will prevent the caulk from pulling away when you fill the tub in the future
for an actual bath. This really works! And like Ann- I employ the same caulking method of taping off . :-) Sue

Sue said...

That would be handy man- iPhone changed it! LOL

Joyful said...

I enjoyed this guest post from Pearl ;-)

Maple Lane said...

I've never tried this, but I sure did enjoy it. I was just "carried away" by your words/photos.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I totally love this post. It's almost as if you turned into Pearl. Your photos are stunning too. You know...this is your blog and you should write what touches your heart. Wishing you a lovely weekend Cindy!

Carol OurSearsKitHome said...

Great effects on the photos, Cindy!
You are so talented with creating...whenever I see something turquoise on Pinterest, I always think, "Cindy!", and it usually is you! Those change purse and apron tutorial were wonderful.

Rhonda said...

Love this! I only have a few minutes to catch up with blogs and I am so glad I checked yours.
My husbands grandmother was also Pearl, what a pretty name. My maternal grandmother also had 6 children.
And you already know they are all from Oklahoma, but not Tulsa.

I agree with the other comments that you should try this again.
Have a good weekend!

Millie said...

Yes, please do it again...such a great post!
Neat to have the dress too! It inspires me to maybe get out my Mom's wedding dress and try a posting about that.

It's me said...

This is so nice done Cindy !!...love it !!...why not color pictures ???...love from me....xxx...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Absolutely you should! This was just wonderful! I enjoyed every word and every photo. I really believed your "voice" and could see everything and imagine your grandmother. Great job, Cindy!

XO,

Sheila

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
It was wonderful to take a step back in time! I felt like I was really hearing your g'mother speak.
Yes, please do it again.

Rebecca said...

How creative, Cindy!

And (weighing in on your skirts in the last post), what a GREAT fit! That's the nice thing about sewing your own clothes, isn't it?

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I enjoyed this post! What a lovely remembrance of your family memebers and so cool that you still have the dress made for your mother. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Marissa Stower said...

That's so neat, Mom! It's amazing how your pictures look JUST like they belong with the story you told, as if they were taken from that time. What a neat way to switch things up a little. And to remind us (of all ages), how things "used to be". Love you!!

20 North Ora said...

What a dear post Cindy!! I love to read things like this. Are you in Tulsa? I live in Tulsa, OK. I chuckled at the $11.00 they'd miss if Sam was off work. How times have changed.

Precious.

Judy

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Cindy!
This was fantastic, really.
I found myself thinking of my Granny and remembering photos of her in her year book! I guess the graduation dress made me think of that.
I loved the black and white photos!
Your vintage home really took me back--when photographed in B&W and Sepia!
Yes! an occasional from Pearl and her Pearls of Wisdom would be fun to read. Not to mention...take your mind off the late Spring up there!
...And I'd be glad to see what you come up with next!
Have fun with it! Pat

Carol Z said...

I really enjoyed this. Great idea!

podso said...

I like it! Very creative and it will help you work on writing skills--not that you need to, but it's a known fact that the more you write and create the better you become! It was fun to read and nicely illustrated.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Loved it, such a wonderful reminder of days gone by. Yes, more please! :)
Hope you'll share at AMAZE ME MONDAY, link goes up Sunday evening!
Blessings,
Cindy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I too love this post, darling Cindy, as it does remind me of my mom, because she used to sew all the time, making me dresses, pants, blouses, you name it! Thank you lovely friend for your sweet and kind visit, I so appreciate them! Big hugs,
FABBY

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

So fun! I thought it was for real! You're a very good writer!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Wow Cindy! What a fun post! I love that you have your mother's graduation dress and what you did with the photo's to give them authenticity! Loved reading your peek into your grandmother's life! Angie xo

Faye Henry said...

That was lovely, Cindy.. I love the dress and sewing machine.. So glad I did not miss this posting..
Take care, my friend..

RicKaren said...

This was really great, Cindy! I loved it!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Cindy

This was wonderful to read! I felt like i was "back in the past" Did you know my middle name is Pearl? :) My grandmother was also Pearl.

Pen Pen said...

Love the pic's and the post!!