Google Translator

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sew, Sew and Sew Again

Hello my friends.
We survived another snowy weekend and are promised sunshine for the rest of the week and the weekend.
Here's to SPRING!

I purchased a pretty red sleeveless dress for Miss B at Winners, and I needed to make a bolero, a sweater or something with sleeves to go over it.
I found a t-shirt, one size too big for her at the thrift store and I made her a little top that she can tie in the front.


I was very happy to see that the colour is perfect, I didn't have the dress with me when I was searching for a top.

I simply cut the t-shirt right up the middle and sewed the edges under. It has raglan sleeves that are not meant to be fitted.
I really hope she likes it.



This little dress that I made for her a couple of weeks ago was too SHORT by several inches.
My daughter is going to take off the second ruffle and make a peplum top out of it.
So, I have a skirt to make for her now in yellow or turquoise, to match the little top.

I found a little khaki skirt for her at a garage sale last summer. 
I put a ruffle on it, with a little cloth belt.



And I recently found a little purple sweater at the thrift store to go with it.


I made a little ruffled flower and va-la! 
Another little out-fit.

I am trying to sew as much as I can in order to finish up the little projects that have accumulated. 
I am hoping and praying that the larger projects will begin to come in.
I have yet to find the fabric for my sister's dress.


This is the style of dress that I'm going to try to make.
I feel confident that I can, but I'm not too confident that I will find fabric that my sister loves.
There will be no sheer lace, that will all be lined.
And the neckline will be much more modest, more like a jewel neckline.
And, it won't be red.

We have ONE store in our city of over 700,000 people that offers wedding lace.
Did you know that the price of wedding lace is between $35.00 all the way up to $130.00 a metre?!?!
It's no wonder that wedding dresses and lace dresses of any kind are horrendously expensive.
That red one is worth $695.00 at SHOP for FUN.
Cough, cough, "for FUN"?

Now I'm off to work on slip covers for my dining room chairs.

Thank you so much for coming by and taking the time to read and comment.
I appreciate you, my blog friends.

Hugs, Cindy




I'm loving the red and pink together!
Miss B is like me, she loves BRIGHT colours.

19 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Cute idea for the red jacket over the dress. This crazy weather - you never know when you need a cover up or not.

Judy

podso said...

Wow Cindy! You are so talented. That is a great jacket for the dress and so creative of you---and a perfect match of color (you know there are reds and there are reds ....) how wonderful you can do these projects and check them off. Now I can't wait to see the slip covers!

Joyful said...

I love all your projects and thrift store finds. You have a good eye. It is outrageous what they charge these days for fabric and lace. When do you have to complete the dress? I could possibly look at Dressew for you in Vancouver for the lace. I'm not sure how good their selection is or what the price point is. Or, have you thought of looking on line?

Gail said...

Oh Cindy, I love all your sewing projects! You are so talented!! I can't wait to see your dinning room slip covers. Enjoy your evening my friend, Gail

Pamela Gordon said...

You are so creative Cindy. I love the sweet bolero you made and the cute ruffle and belt for the skirt. Really nice! I hope you get some more work soon. All the best. Hugs, Pam

Debra @ Homespun said...

talent and creative rolled into one! Using that tee shirt for a little jacket is such a great idea! All of your items in this post are so pretty!

Pen Pen said...

Cute!!! I love having a little cover for sleeveless dresses. And I love the idea of repurposing thrift store clothes!! I will definitley be looking for a cute khaki skirt and sweater to fix up! Please keep posting your projects, I want to stay inspired!

Millie said...

You have done a marvelous job on those clothes. I am sure the dress you plan to make will be very pretty too.

Kelly said...

You're so lucky to know how to sew and make clothes and household items. I never learned passed the basics of sewing. Maybe one day, I'll buy a machine and take some classes. I love the little outfits you've made so far.

Sheila said...

You have sure been busy Cindy! I am impresses with all that you have done recently. Fabric of any kind is so expensive but I hope that you're able to find some less expensive lace for your sister's dress. Our snow is finally melting but it will still take awhile for the farmers to get onto the land. It does seem like we've turned a corner here though. Happy sewing!

Marissa Stower said...

I saw that little red dress when we were visiting, and I meant to ask you about it. It is so pretty! What a lucky little lady Bethany is to have a Grandma like you, who will shop for her, and make her pretty little clothes. Love you!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Didn't realize lace was that much! Hopefully online shopping will have a supply of lace that is more affordable. :)
Love red too...:)
Blessings,
Cindy

Faye Henry said...

Everything is turning out lovely.. You are so talented.. I love your ideas, Cindy..
xo

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Oh my goodness Cindy! What sweet little outfits for your granddaughter. I love how the top you made to go with the red dress. You are so creative! Have a lovely weekend! Is your snow gone? It was gorgeous here in Edmonton today! Angie xo

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow you're a great seamstress!

Have you tried looking online for the lace? Might be less expensive.

Rhonda said...

Your grand daughters new things are so cute, I hope they fit and that she likes them as much as I do.
About the red lace, have you looked online, at fabric stores and on EBay? When I read their reviews carefully, I have found some good quality fabric there in the past.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I just love how you alter the clothing to make it special and personal...such a talent!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You are so talented! Soooo talented!

And why am I missing your posts when I follow your blog???

XO,

Sheila

Ana said...

What a lucky little girl Miss B is. Such cute outfits.

❤Ana