Google Translator

Monday, April 1, 2013

Two Easy and Simply Delicious Recipes

We had company over the weekend, it was my hubby's sister, her husband and their adorable five year old son.
And on Saturday we had my twelve year old granddaughter with us too. We spent the afternoon playing black light mini-golf.

We had a good time and some good food.

I tried a couple of new recipes that I want to share with you.
I found the first one at Six Sisters' Stuff for Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken.

Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
Recipe adapted from: Baby Center

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thighs would be fine too)
Salt and pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (could also use olive oil or canola oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional - doesn't really add heat, just adds more flavor)
4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
Sesame seeds

Directions: 
Season both sides of chicken with lightly with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high 1 1/2 – 2 1/2 hours, or just until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened. Cut chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over rice or noodles.

*You can also sprinkle more red pepper flakes on top if you want more heat.
Taken from Six Sisters' Stuff

I didn't have honey so I used about 3/4 of a cup of sugar in place of a cup of honey, and it was perfectly delicious!
I cut up a whole chicken and put all of the pieces, except for the back, into the slow cooker and poured the sauce over it.
I let it cook for 6 hours on low.




I wanted the brown rice to cook while I was gone and I don't have a rice cooker, yet. 

I cooked it in a slow cooker for four hours and it was WAY overdone and part of it was nothing but mush. 
Lesson learned!

I served the Honey Sesame Chicken with the brown rice, a package of frozen oriental mix, (sautéed in a frying pan with a bit of garlic and olive oil) and we had w.w. rolls with it.
It was quick and easy and very satisfying.

The second one is a new dessert recipe that was a big hit.

Chocolate Waffles



All you do is mix up a package of Chocolate Cake Mix according to directions and cook it in a waffle maker as you would waffles.
If you are like me and only have a white cake mix, add 1/3 cup (or to taste) of premium cocoa to your batter as you mix it up.
The chocolate waffle gets crispy when you let it sit a minute after it's cooked.
I topped it with a scoop of cherry pie filling and a scoop of ice-cream.
If you have left over waffles, put them in a zip-lock bag to keep them fresh. Simply pop them into the toaster to warm them up and re-crisp them when you are ready to use them.
Strawberries and whipped cream would be a delicious topping as well.

I hope you had a nice Easter weekend.
We woke up Easter Sunday to find that we were without power and had been for several hours. 
The house was cold and we had no hot water.
The electricity was out for 12 hours altogether!
It was just long enough for us to go to church, eat out and then come back to a warm house to rest.
I was glad that we got to eat out because I hadn't been able to put lunch in the crock pot like I usually do and I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I've been fighting a cold, but I'm feeling much better today.

All in all it was a beautiful weekend.
I hope you enjoyed yours, too.

Thank you for visiting and I always look forward to your sweet comments. 

Hugs, Cindy











25 comments:

Rebecca said...

My goodness, that chicken recipe looks great! (And I really enjoy using my crockpot....)

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Sounds like you had a nice and full weekend. It's so nice to have family around at Eastertime. Oh, that chicken does look good. I may just try that. I like to use my crockpot too!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

It's me said...

Yammie yammie !!...have a nice week darling !!...love Ria...xxx...

•♥ Ally ♥• said...

how nice the dessert! also looks very inviting! but I must say that the chicken made ​​me mouth water. THANK YOU Cindy! really a great recipe that I will just buy the chicken. I have all the other ingredients :) then I do the photo and tell you how it came :)
  a hug dear Cindy

Maple Lane said...

Hi Cindy, Sorry to hear you have had a cold and I hope you continue to feel better. Both recipes sound delicious. The chicken really sounds tasty and easy. Hope you have a very nice week. I loved your photos, too!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

They both look yummy Cindy! Thanks for sharing...
Blessings,
Cindy

Julie Harward said...

These both look real good to me...I do love their recipes! Glad you had a real nice weekend! :)

camp and cottage living said...

Cindy
Your Sesame chicken looks delicious
And the waffles sound yummy too.
So good your power didn't go out when you had your house full of company!
I hope you stay well and don't come down with anything.
Blessings-Kimberly

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

They both look delish Cindy! My family would love the chicken recipe for sure! And choc waffles...you can't go wrong! Is the snow melting in your city? We lost a lot of snow over the weekend! Yay! Have a lovely weekend! Angie xo

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Hi Cindy-
I love Sesame Chicken! I'll have to give this recipe a try.
As it begins to warm up...I'll be looking for more crockpot recipes.
I don't mind cooking in the crock pot in the summer, although it IS one more appliance...TICKING UP THE METER! It keeps the A/C from working so hard, so that is a plus. :)
Sorry to hear you are still not up to snuff! You better get well.
Glad you were still able to get to church, and get a bite to eat.
I may email you later in the week about my Resurrection Sunday.
...blessings, Pat

Reginas Cottage said...

they both looks delicious,cindy. thanks for sharing. i hope you had a lovely easter too.
have a nice day,
regina

Diane said...

The chicken recipe sounds great. I love cooking with my crockpot, makes life so much easier! Lovely post. Diane

Pamela Gordon said...

The slow cooker chicken sounds very good and I actually have all those ingredients except for the sesame seeds! I have a rice cooker and it only takes about 25 minutes to make in one. Not something you can put a timer on and leave he house with! It's a small one and I find when it boils the sticky water sprays out around the lid all over the counter. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but it makes good rice. I use Jasmine rice. That's too bad you lost power on the weekend! And it's not been warm there either. It's cold here today again. Hugs, Pam

Ana said...

Your recipes look delish. I'm glad to hear you had a good Easter...except for the power outage but you had what was important...family. Sending you a great big warm hug.

❤Ana

Sheila said...

These look like great recipes Cindy. Glad to hear that yu had a nice weekend. it's always special to have company for dinner.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

This chicken sounds incredible. Anything that calls for a cup of honey has to be good! So glad you are feeling better...and glad you got to go out for lunch. :o)

Rhonda said...

Black light golf sounds fun and I am so glad you saw your granddaughter.
The chocolate waffles sound delicious, I know my family would like them too.
I saw a lot of your sewing pins on my Pinterest page, do you have sewing planned?

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Glad you're feeling better! I've been fighting a cold too.

Waking up to no power and a cold house is no fun! At least it didn't last long.

Thanks for the crockpot recipe. I love my crockpot and am always looking for new recipes. This one looks yummy!

Linda R said...

Sure does look yummy. I am going to have to give it a try..

Hugs~

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Ok, that chicken recipe looks awesome and my hubby would love it. I will try it on the weekend.
Thank you for dropping by darling, you sure are a sweetie! Big hugs,
FABBY

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

I love crock pot recipes!!! That chicken looks scrumptious, Cindy! And, of course, chocolate is always tempting! Thank you for both. blessings ~ tanna

Chandra said...

Yummy! I'm going to pin these recipes!

Chandra
More Modern Modesty

Pamela said...

Easter without electricity--that would have put a kink in my plans! The chicken looks delicious--no words for the dessert, just drool on the keyboard!

Marissa Stower said...

Hi Mom! Wow, that chocolate waffle looks even better than you described it! Maybe we can have some when I come to visit. :)

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Love and miss you bunches!
JFR

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love nice and simple recipes like these, Cindy! When I watch my granddaughter I know I will not have much time to prepare diner so I will be using my crock pot much more than usual.