Google Translator

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rhubarb-Strawberry Crisp Recipe and June Blossoms

June, what a glorious month!

"June is bustin' out all over." ~ Oscar Hammerstein II

Ornamental Cherry Tree

"Summer is a promissory note signed in June, its long days spent and gone before you know it, and due to be repaid next January." ~ Hal Borland

Apple Tree

"What is one to say about June, the time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh 
young beauty will ever fade." ~ Gertrude Jekyl

I love the blossoms of fruit trees, I so wish the blossoms lasted all summer long.
But, like everything else in life, it has it's season.

Crabapple Tree


On Saturday I picked our rhubarb and made Rhubarb - Strawberry Crisp for our dessert.




Do you like Rhubarb?

The tiny stalks are tender and delicious, the older stalks, not so much.

In order to eat it I mixed strawberries in with it and then it's  delicious no matter how you cook it.

This is a recipe that I've used for years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rhubarb Crisp

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Grease a 1-1/2 quart square baking dish.

Cream together:
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1-1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar

Stir in until crumbly a mixture of:
 1/2 cup flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Arrange in prepared casserole:
4 cups sliced rhubarb
2 cups sliced strawberries

Sprinkle with crumbs.
Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender and topping is golden brown.

Makes 6 servings.

The filling does turn out runny sometimes, so I've added extra flour, I hope it turns out well for you.
Let me know if you try it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Something really wonderful happened today.
I was weeding my back yard flower garden, when I saw a car stop in our back lane and a pretty lady walked up my walk and introduced herself to me.
Her name is Alayne and she had seen my blog in Romantic Homes and she had read my blog and wanted to meet me!
Isn't that the sweetest?
She was very nice and so friendly,
the best part is that she lives only a few blocks from me!
She invited me over to see her gardens and you can be sure that I will be there.
She doesn't have a blog, but she is a blog reader.
Thanks so much for stopping by my house, Alayne!
It was wonderful to meet you.

Enjoy your week and thank you so much for stopping by!

Hugs, 
Cindy



I love this pretty tree!




20 comments:

Rebecca said...

How nice that you met a Romantic Home reader and almost-neighbor! Your pictures are beautiful ... and YES, I like rhubarb!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gorgeous trees! And would you believe that I have never ever had rhubarb that I know of or remember? I am deprived if it looks as good as what you have there!

XO

Sheila

Maple Lane said...

The crisp looks delicious! I've never tasted rhubarb but my husband remembers eating it at his grandma's when he was a boy.
How very special to meet a blog admirer in person. I know you will enjoy your garden tour!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a nice visit! It really does make you feel so honored! And the tree and your recipe are both wonderful! Enjoy your evening my friend! And yes....these are the Blue Ridge Mountains and the peak is Mt. Pisgah. I think I'll mention that in a post! Thanks for asking! Hugs!

Anne said...

mmm put on the tea, I'll be right over :)

I adore the garden in June, so fresh and pretty and bright. That dessert looks heavenly too :)

Happy Sunday Cindy!

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh, I wish the blossoms stayed all summer long too. It's hard to believe that blossom time is almost over. I love this season of spring. Your trees are beautiful, Cindy. I also like rhubarb crumble and made some yesterday. Sometimes I add half a small packet of strawberry jello to it for flavour and thickening. I put half of my crumbs in the bottom of a 9" square pan then use the rest for the top. I also use corn starch for thickening. It's a springtime favourite! Have a great week. Blessings, Pam

Nancy Wiebel said...

Hi Cindy,

I love your trees, too. So pretty!

How nice of Alayne to stop by to introduce herself. What a treat! I'm sure she enjoys your blog as much as the rest of us.

I like rhubarb but since moving to Ames I don't have a neighbor who shares rhubarb with me like where we used to live.

Have a great week!

Hugs,
Nancy

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Beautiful photographs! I've tried rhubarb a time or two and it's not a favorite of mine but many in my family love it!
Blessings,
Cindy

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I love rhubarb-apple crisp too. So fun to meet a blog reader. What a wonderful surprise and so nice she lives close so you can visit and chat.

Shelia said...

Hi Cindy! Can you believe it's June already? I thought it was just yesterday when your yard was filled with snow! :) How pretty your trees are and the blooms are just marvelous. I have fond memories of rhubarb. My aunt used to grow it and after my mother would get off from work we'd go over and she'd cut some, bring it home and make a pie! :) I love it as I thought I had helped! :) Thank you for the recipe.
Hope you've had a beautiful weekend.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I just made Strawberry Crisp last week and it was gone in no time! It's one of my favorites...I have never added rhubarb but that's a great idea. I'm so excited that you had a fan find your house! That really is truly wonderful...your blog is a delight you know. As are you my friend. Hope you have a good week and some of the blooms are still on the trees!

camp and cottage living said...

Oh, you are becoming famous now Cindy!
What fun for Alayne to drop by.

Shabby soul said...

I've never tried rhubarb, but I'm so curious! I've heard also about a marmalade with rhubarb...
Here it's raining again and unusually fresh, the perfect weather to try new recipes =)
Hugs my darling
Silvia

Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

I can attest to the wonderfulness of that recipe, Cindy!! One of my favorites, too! How cool is it about Alayne stopping by??? Just makes me smile. blessings ~ tanna

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

That rhubarb crisp looks so good Cindy! Now I am hungry! And how nice that you have a new blog friend! That is so cool! Angie xo

RoseMarie said...

How about Cindy, God bless you! You know the photos of the trees you've shared in this post are beautiful! Inspiring will have these so beautifully lush trees around us, the recipe looks tempting! and imagine how happy and satisfied with your wonderful blog, because even in my home, a thousand miles away this month speak your blog meaning through the publication of the magazine, when my group Bible study on Saturday met and talked about it! Have a wonderful and blessed week! hugs, Rose M

RicKaren said...

Beautiful trees! I may have to try that Rhubarb Strawberry recipe too. My Kalli loves anything rhubarb and we have some ready to pick.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Such beautiful blooming trees in your neighborhood, Cindy!

I liked your quotes about June. June is my husband and my birthday month so it is a special month for us :)

How nice to make a new local friend through a magazine article and your blog.

Thank you for your condolences to me over the loss of my dear cat. he was such a good copanion-- I miss him very much!

ScrapbookingButterfly said...

The trees in our neighbourhood are at their peak right now...truly a spectacular sight. It was a delightful pleasure to meet you on Saturday afternoon! How remarkable that an article in the magazine Romantic Homes featuring your lovely blog would encourage me to seek you out. I do look forward to continuing our friendship and having you visit my little corner of the world some time soon. Thank you for making me feel very welcome in your pretty garden when I stopped by unannounced...Alayne

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

How nice that she stopped to introduce herself!

I LOVE rhubarb!! Just love it!